Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSBC or DISCOVER?

tag
jp_dlp
Contributor

HSBC or DISCOVER?

I am planning on applying for a credit card that I would be using for my wedding.. I got a pre-approval for the discover more card but got pre approved for the HSBC mastercard with cashback as well.. Which one do you think could give me a higher limit 10-15k? the most CL I have currently on 1 single card is $14k.. I read a couple of times that hsbc doesn't allow you to have more than one account with them, I already have their orchard with $2500 CL with good history and $0 bal. thanks alot..
Current Fico Score
EX: 660 EQ: 680 TR: 690
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HSBC or DISCOVER?

Yes- you need to be "invited" to apply for a 2nd Visa/Mastercard with HSBC

I personally HATE HSBC -

Discover gave me a decent CL-

Don't got into debt for your wedding-

jp_dlp wrote:
I am planning on applying for a credit card that I would be using for my wedding.. I got a pre-approval for the discover more card but got pre approved for the HSBC mastercard with cashback as well.. Which one do you think could give me a higher limit 10-15k? the most CL I have currently on 1 single card is $14k.. I read a couple of times that hsbc doesn't allow you to have more than one account with them, I already have their orchard with $2500 CL with good history and $0 bal. thanks alot..

Message 2 of 6
jp_dlp
Contributor

I got the pre-approval from their website, the one you enter your info and they soft you if you pre-qualify for something.. I might just go with discover then.. do discover allow joint app? I think that would bring up the CL.. as for not getting into debt for the wedding, yes yes I am aware of that this is just for the convenience that we would be having a card just for the sole purpose of it.. thanks alot
Current Fico Score
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

The pre-approval from their website means nothing. You will most likely get denied because you already have a card. Discover More is nice to have but they are not famous for giving large CLs. Then again there have been exceptions so YMMV. Assuming your scores are good and report is clean, and you want a quick approval with a high CL, it may be in your best interests to consider Amex or Citi. BoA is another one that is usually good at matching your existing CL. Last, but certainly not least, don't forget about credit unions.
Message 4 of 6
jp_dlp
Contributor

ChaoticKinesis wrote:
The pre-approval from their website means nothing. You will most likely get denied because you already have a card. Discover More is nice to have but they are not famous for giving large CLs. Then again there have been exceptions so YMMV. Assuming your scores are good and report is clean, and you want a quick approval with a high CL, it may be in your best interests to consider Amex or Citi. BoA is another one that is usually good at matching your existing CL. Last, but certainly not least, don't forget about credit unions.

I disregarded the HSBC Pre-approval but went ahead with Discover More Card lastnight.. got the 30 day message and I called in earlier today and was using my cellphone, they confirmed my work phone and asked to call there to finalize my application, I was at work at the time but was outside to give them a call, I had to run back inside as she was calling my work number, I answered and was still catching my breath..

She approved it for 6k CL.. I thought it'll be bigger than that but she advised they need to see payment history.. I'm happy to say I got approved for it.. Thanks for the advise..Smiley Very Happy
Current Fico Score
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

D I S C O V E R
    For Sure
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.