Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSBC platinum MC 2% rewards

tag
nothingman02
Valued Contributor

HSBC platinum MC 2% rewards

Just wondeirng. This is one of HSBC's rebuilder cards. Is this a better option than the subprime cards?

How often are CLIs and how much are those CLIs at a time?

How would an initial $250 card evolve over a period of 1 year or 2 years.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Guardian
Valued Contributor

Re: HSBC platinum MC 2% rewards

The hit should hover around that of an inquiry most likely. Maybe a bit more but not enough to cripple you. Expectation of $300 is reasonable and you are right, its skeptic but accurate that it might not grow to $1500 in two years but keep in mind that when you don't have alot of revolving and you are with a credit company, generally speaking when you do good and show good, they will grow it with you. It might not get super big super fast, but it will grow. Now given HSBC's recent shenanigans, I am hard pressed to think they will suddenly grow a conscience and act accordingly but you never know. You are welcome and I hope it has given you some perspective and I wish you all the best no matter what you choose to do and will keep my fingers crossed for the best outcome for you. Good luck.

Common Abbreviations|FDCPA|FCRA
Take the FICO Fitness ChallengeStarting Score: TU:695 - EQ:719 - EX:630
Current Score: TU:712 - EQ:755 - EX:712
Goal Score: TU:800 - EQ:800 - EX:800

Message 13 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@nothingman02 wrote:

Just wondeirng. This is one of HSBC's rebuilder cards. Is this a better option than the subprime cards?

How often are CLIs and how much are those CLIs at a time?

How would an initial $250 card evolve over a period of 1 year or 2 years.

Thanks.

Its not a great card, anything HSBC really is not great, but its a decent card. Don't expect too many CLI and too often, in fact pretty much accept that you may never get one so that you are not disappoitned. Now with a limit of only $250, you are bound to see improvement and increases but how quickly is a matter of how much you use the card and if they think they can make money off of you. So some period of heavy usage might get them to raise it quicker. In two years you could be looking at about $1500 if everything goes idealy.

Message 2 of 15
nothingman02
Valued Contributor

Along those lines, what exactly is it that approves CLIs?

1) Utilize 70-80% and PIF before the statement cuts every month? (Demonstrating good usage and management)

2) Utilize 5-10% and PIF before the statement cuts every month? (Demonstrating less usage and good management)

3) Doing the above but leaving out 4-5% UTL and paying  some interest (so the bank makes some money)? 

4) Socking the card thus demonstrating no/low risk

5) Only the typical factors used when first approving the card such as DTI, FICO, derogs, etc etc..

Or any combination of the above with (5)

Message Edited by nothingman02 on 03-24-2009 11:35 AM
Message 3 of 15
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@nothingman02 wrote:

Along those lines, what exactly is it that approves CLIs?

1) Utilize 70-80% and PIF before the statement cuts every month? (Demonstrating good usage and management)

2) Utilize 5-10% and PIF before the statement cuts every month? (Demonstrating less usage and good management)

3) Doing the above but leaving out 4-5% UTL and paying  some interest (so the bank makes some money)? 

4) Socking the card thus demonstrating no/low risk

5) Only the typical factors used when first approving the card such as DTI, FICO, derogs, etc etc..

Or any combination of the above with (5)

Ok, please understand that high util is NOT a way to get CLI, it just seems that recent HSBC patterns for CLI/CLD tends to revolve around high util and earned finance charges. So this was a recommendation given specifically for HSBC's current strategy model and should NOT be used globally. In fact high util is a death sentence to your credit, generally speaking. But if say you keep your overall util down and use a small credit line with HSBC at high util, they will be less likely to cut your limit and more likely to increase it. Obviously for your overall credit health, do not let a balance report if you can avoid it and HSBC takes about 5 days to process a payment regardless of what they say and that means if you want to avoid that balance reporting, then pay at least a week in advance of your cut off. Do not bother requesting a CLI with them anytime within the first year, it won't happen generally, so give it time and be patient and even after that, keep it to every 6 months at the most. Good luck.

Message 4 of 15
Kay_Cee
Regular Contributor

I've had a HSBC Direct Rewards Discover card and it stinks!!  I've had it since October of 2007; no lates, always PIF  and hardly ever more than a 10% utilization.  In October of 2008 I got the bill for the annual fee of $39 ( I think) and called their CS line to see if I could get my CL increased from their very generous $300.  I was told no, they weren't giving out any CLI but they would waive the annual fee.  Since then, they've cut my cash advance limit from $150 to $75.  I'll be kicking this one to the curb in October of this year when they once again bill me for an annual fee and will continue to use my Target Visa, my Chase Mastercard and my AMEX (just not at WalmartSmiley Happy.  It would be interesting to see if you get the CLI and how long it takes.

To get around their hold on my money, I use my online bill pay from Chase and it is applied to my HSBC account the day after it comes out of my account.

Message Edited by Kay_Cee on 03-24-2009 12:06 PM
Message Edited by Kay_Cee on 03-24-2009 12:08 PM
Message 5 of 15
Guardian
Valued Contributor

HSBC wasn't really that high on the pedistole to begin with but with their recent "business decisions" they are killing their customer base and in the process losing ALOT of good people. If you search for "HSBC slashed my credit" or similar words you will see all the discussion on it. They are going downhill and have a snowball's chance in hell of ever recovering in the eyes of the good customers, although they might still manage to peddle their subprime rebuilder cards in the future. They are doing this to people with excellent credit, large credit lines too, its nothing just directed towards you but I can image its disappointing and hurts to see it happen, I'll give you that. I have a 4900 CL and it got reduced to 2080 and my cash limit is 250, so you tell me how I should feel Smiley Very Happy Understandably we were all pissed, just read the thread and see, and almost NONE of us "deserved it" if you will, it was a "business decision" based on the fact that they don't make money on those of us that PIF, that don't have an AF, and have low util. I just don't use them, sockdrawered it and figure, two can play this game. You hurt me, I won't use you, simple. I have better. But unfortunately that is not an option for everyone, so each person needs to do what works for their specific situation.

Message 6 of 15
nothingman02
Valued Contributor

Hmm...I dont have this card yet. I have an orchard secured and I was pre-qualified for this one on their website. I had decided not to go for it as I would have to cancel my Orchard card as its only been 3 months and HSBC will not let you have another card in 18 months. More importantly, its going to hurt my AAoA (only 2 yrs right now) and I am not in a position to be able to afford that yet. I have my eyes on a couple of the prime cards toward the end of this year and am working on that and orchard is already 3 months old. But orchard card can not grow and I am right now trying to evaluate this HSBC MC absolutely so that I would not have made a wrong decision,looking back in an year or later, in refusing it.

Thanks for your responses.

Message 7 of 15
nothingman02
Valued Contributor

I was going to be added on as an AU on my brothers HSBC which had some 9000 CL with 0 balance and guess what we learnt. Yep they had just closed the card. I would have to agree on their Business decision however. There are too many reasons and it could be an exhausting talk but I do agree that they could have taken better care of people with excellent credit profiles.
Message 8 of 15
Guardian
Valued Contributor

Well, the advise doesn't change a whole lot, other than to say that Orchard is a card you want to lose at the first chance after it has served its purpose. How long have you had it? CL? AF? Rate? Yeah closing a card that early, even Orchard will not do too good for your credit but taking a hit in the short run to shore up your chances is always worth it, take a look at the long run. Now the question becomes, which is better for you in the long run? That's something that will ultimately come down your own personal preference but if I was in your shoes, I would consider dumping the Orchard for the HSBC one instead, only if you are sure you will get it. Preapproved means very little unfortunately. Compare the potential CL vs what you have now, compare potential rate vs what you have now, compare if there is an AF vs. now, and if you consistently find the now is better, stay with it, and if you find consistently that potential is better, take a chance and see how it goes. Either way there might be a chance for disappointment but at least you made an educated choice.

Message 9 of 15
nothingman02
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I was actually doing pretty much that. But what stopped me eventually was the AAoA. It would take a hit now but I was looking at 1-2 yrs down the line. Right now, if I accept the HSBC (assuming I get approved) and cancel the orchard secured (3 months, no AF, 200CL, 7.95), my AAoA would drop from nearly 2 to 1.5 years. But I could not figure out how much of an impact this would have on FICO. I wanted to understand the percentage of scoring that AAoA accounts for and thus figure out if it could be offset by other factors such as UTL @9%, high available CL etc which have signiffcant impact on the score. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a way to determine that so I figured I would stay put until I understand the fico scoring model better. I am still learning.
Message Edited by nothingman02 on 03-24-2009 12:59 PM
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.