HSBC product change?

Hello all. In my rebuilding journey I managed to get the following

Credit One Bank MC

Houshold Bank MC

Best Buy RZMC Gold w/ AF

Best Buy RZMC Gold w/o AF

Firestone Complete Autocare Card

and an Auto Loan

Now we are trying to garden and keep building up our scores.

The Household Bank MC and both Best Buy cards are through HSBC. I am wanting to try to do a product change and want to know if anyone has tried it.

I specifically want to change the Household Bank MC to a Sears Solutions MC. I am going to wait until tomorrow during normal business hours but has anyone tried or does anyone know if this is possible or not. I am not sure how all the different HSBC cards relate to each other and if its possible or not.

Thanks

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: HSBC product change?

Let us know if this works, thanks

Message 2 of 10
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

I had an Orchard that I consolidated with a HSBC Platinum. This was last year though and I heard since the recent credit card law changes this is tougher now.

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value
Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

800+ Club
Message 3 of 10
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

Also, I tried to product change/consoidate my Best Buy store card with my HSBC Platinum and was given a firm NO. They said if I wanted a different card to close the current ones and reapply. LAME.

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value
Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

800+ Club
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well got the response I figured. They said no I am sorry that is not possible. They explained that the card I have is in the HSBC division and the Sears Solutions is in their retail division and it is not possible to convert that I would have to apply for the sears solutions card. I told them I didnt want an additional account that I will just not use the card but once a month or so to keep it active and use other rewards cards. The guy said that is fine and have a nice day. No biggie I rarely use this card anyway I always use the two RZMC's for the reward points as I love best buy. I just thought if I could switch at least the sears solutions has a small rewards program as well. So not a huge deal but FYI for others who may want to switch.

Message 5 of 10
john398
Senior Contributor

okstatefan5945 thansk for the followup, I guess that makes sense,. I applied today for a discover rewards card and was officer the hsbc discover card which is odd because, I have a Reward zone card, and orchard card, and a best buy card all thru HSBC and thought there was a 3 card limit...guess we will see

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have also been under the impression that there is a 3 card limit with HSBC. Like I said I DONT WANT another card just wanted a product change. When the guy said you can simply apply for the Sears Solutions card I told him I had reached the three card HSBC limit. He said that the three card limit was division specific. He went into this spill about the RZMC and Sears Solutions cards being a part of their "retailer" division and was seperate from their Orchard, HSBC, and Household divisions. He said that the three card limit was divisional so in theory you could have 6. I dont know for sure and dont plan to try it to see as I am gardening and dont want NEW credit but thats what he said. I am skeptical since front line CSR's tend to tell you anything so you will buy their product. But looks like you are getting four HSBC products so their may be some truth to it Idont know.

Message 7 of 10
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Couple Points.

IMO,  You should have a store card only if you a regular customer.    So unless you shop at Sears, KMART, Lands End, OSH I don't see the point.  If you really want Sears,   you also have the choice of CitiBank Sears (MC) as well as HSBC.   Or why not apply for HSBC Sears and close the Household?

As far as credit gardening goes, why not prune that Credit One?

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I dont really WANT the sears card. The only reason I thought about it is Sears MC has a rewards program. I rarely use the houshold card just enough to keep it active. I always use my RZMC's to get the points. But with the low limits it is easy to max them out getting gas, groceries, and pating bills so a third rewards card would have been cool but I dont want another inquiry and new account as we want to buy a house in Dec or Jan. The credit one card I got in Oct last year so it isnt even a year old yet. All of my cards are less than 1 year so I figure for the credit one and the household card I will call the month before the one year anniversary and see if they will waive the AF. If so I will keep the cards and if not I will close them. I figured I would keep them until that point and then see. I have already paid the household AF so its a free card until Nov so may as well keep it. The credit one $5.75 monthly I can live with until Sept and then it will go away either by them waiving or me cancelling. I just like to have the unused credit limi to help with my utilization. I onlt use those two enough to keep active anyway.

Message 9 of 10
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Sounds like a good plan,  since your accounts are fairly new, you should problably wait a bit before applying.     Maybe you should consider something from one of the other networks (Visa, Discover, Amex).

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.