Frequent Contributor
Lexa

HSBC question

I've read on this forum that once you are approved for 1 of HSBC cards you can not apply for their other products for a certain period of time... Is this true? what if I get HSBC Platinum and then apply for Bst Buy store card? will I get turned down for having an HSBC card already?
Regular Contributor
VEEVEE

Re: HSBC question

I don't know the time frame for applying for another card, but you can have at least two cards with them.  I currently have HSBC Platinum Mastercard and I also have a Sears Soultion Mastercard and that is with HSBC as well. Their pretty stingy with CLI's though. I have had the HSBC Platinum for 3 years and only received a twenty dollar increase and I have had the Sears Solutions Mastercard for 2years and never received a CLI. I pay both cards on time,  and more often than not I pay in full. 
Frequent Contributor
Lexa

Anybody else knows?

Senior Contributor
creditwherecreditisdue

Lexa wrote:
I've read on this forum that once you are approved for 1 of HSBC cards you can not apply for their other products for a certain period of time... Is this true? what if I get HSBC Platinum and then apply for Bst Buy store card? will I get turned down for having an HSBC card already?

NO! (This has been asked/answered many times.)

Frequent Contributor
Lexa

what if I get denied? can I apply for another HSBC product then?
Valued Member
KG

I have four HSBC cards: 2 HSBC mastercards with small credit limits, 1 Priscilla's store card and 1 Best Buy card. If there's a limit, it's news to me. For the record, the 2 mastercards were applied for about 3 years apart (and I would like to combine them). I got the Priscilla's card in January '09 and just applied with Best Buy last week so those two were about 8 months apart in age.

Hope this helps.

Moderator Emeritus
beamMEup

[ Edited ]

I app'd for and received HSBC Orchard 12/08.  I then pre-approved (probably about 5/09) on the HSBC site for a platinum card, hit the button to apply, and received a message saying that my app was denied because I had recently opened an HSBC card, and that they like 18 months between new cards.

So evidently there's no limit on number of HSBC cards, but HSBC did publish a policy of 18 months between apps.  Based on previous post, maybe you'd have better luck apping for HSBC first, and then Best Buy 2nd - maybe that would get around the HSBC policy - store cards (even though serviced by HSBC) may not have the same policy.  I received my message apping for a straight-up HSBC card.  Hope that helps.

Good luck with your credit hunting!

Message Edited by beamMEup on 08-21-2009 07:40 AM
Just puttin' syrup on something, don't make it pancakes.
Frequent Contributor
Lexa

Thank you so much. Now I know
Senior Contributor
creditwherecreditisdue

I do not believe the 18 month policy applies to the Best Buy store card.
Moderator Emeritus
beamMEup

creditwherecreditisdue wrote:
I do not believe the 18 month policy applies to the Best Buy store card.

Yeah- I'm a thinkin' it may only apply to the HSBC card - therefore might be best to apply HSBC first - then HSBC store cards.
Just puttin' syrup on something, don't make it pancakes.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+