Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSBC?

tag
nyancat
Established Contributor

HSBC?

I just got approved for the HSBC Platinum Mastercard with Rewards.

Does anyone know anything about this card? I signed up for the combination of no foreign transaction fees and contactless. There are rumours online it may be chip and PIN but the rep who signed me up denied it, and I'm not holding my breath lol.

Good experiences? Bad experiences?

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HSBC?

I had no idea HSBC was still issuing cards. Capital One bought their card portfolio a few years ago, (I have a QS1 that used to be HSBC). Have they now gotten back in to the market, or did Cap One only buy part of their card business?

Message 2 of 19
nyancat
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I had no idea HSBC was still issuing cards. Capital One bought their card portfolio a few years ago, (I have a QS1 that used to be HSBC). Have they now gotten back in to the market, or did Cap One only buy part of their card business?

Capital One only bought their sub-prime (Orchard Bank) business.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@nyancat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yep, that's what I had, Orchard Bank. Thanks for the clarification.

Message 4 of 19
nyancat
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yep, that's what I had, Orchard Bank. Thanks for the clarification.

No worries, there definitely does seem to be a shortage of information regarding HSBC cards online though, they must be pretty rare.

Message 5 of 19
bz386
Frequent Contributor

Not much to say about them. HSBC is a pretty crappy bank. I have the HSBC Premier World MC, the big brother of your Platinum. It lives in my sock drawer, only reason I keep it is because it is my oldest account.
Message 6 of 19
Ron1
Super Contributor

Yes, I have had this card for 5 yrs. The rewards are just average. They just increased to $20K.

Ron.
Message 7 of 19
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

@nyancat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

They bought 2 of my HSBC cards and 3 Orchard Bank cards........maybe that's why they didn't grow.  Have gotten rid of 2 of those cards and the others are on the chopping block

Message 8 of 19
nyancat
Established Contributor

@Ron1 wrote:
Yes, I have had this card for 5 yrs. The rewards are just average. They just increased to $20K.

Ron.

Agreed, the rewards are rubbish. I want it for the contactless + no foreign transaction fee (great for overseas) and the potential that it might be a chip and PIN card now (I've heard rumours to that effect)... is it chip and PIN?

Message 9 of 19
Ron1
Super Contributor

@nyancat wrote:

@Ron1 wrote:

Ron.

Agreed, the rewards are rubbish. I want it for the contactless + no foreign transaction fee (great for overseas) and the potential that it might be a chip and PIN card now (I've heard rumours to that effect)... is it chip and PIN?

Yes, it is chip and pin. I agree. I keep the card because I can use it outside of the country without foreign transaction fee. I also like PayPass and EMV all in one like Diner's Club.

Ron.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.