HSBC?

tag
nyancat
Established Contributor

Re: HSBC?

@Ron1 wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

@Ron1 wrote:
Yes, I have had this card for 5 yrs. The rewards are just average. They just increased to $20K.

Ron.

Agreed, the rewards are rubbish. I want it for the contactless + no foreign transaction fee (great for overseas) and the potential that it might be a chip and PIN card now (I've heard rumours to that effect)... is it chip and PIN?

Yes, it is chip and pin. I agree. I keep the card because I can use it outside of the country without foreign transaction fee. I also like PayPass and EMV all in one like Diner's Club.

Ron.

Thank you for the info, but to clarify, by chip and PIN, I mean a card that normally asks for a PIN number for EMV purchases at attended terminals (at least, at ones in countries where online PIN is generally supported) - NOT a card like the Barclay's that has a PIN that is only a backup for fuel pumps and the like that don't allow signature transactions.

If so, if it is a true chip and PIN, then I'm VERY glad I applied. Thank you!

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 11 of 19
Ron1
Super Contributor

@nyancat wrote:

@Ron1 wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

@Ron1 wrote:
Yes, I have had this card for 5 yrs. The rewards are just average. They just increased to $20K.

Ron.

Agreed, the rewards are rubbish. I want it for the contactless + no foreign transaction fee (great for overseas) and the potential that it might be a chip and PIN card now (I've heard rumours to that effect)... is it chip and PIN?

Yes, it is chip and pin. I agree. I keep the card because I can use it outside of the country without foreign transaction fee. I also like PayPass and EMV all in one like Diner's Club.

Ron.

Thank you for the info, but to clarify, by chip and PIN, I mean a card that normally asks for a PIN number for EMV purchases at attended terminals (at least, at ones in countries where online PIN is generally supported) - NOT a card like the Barclay's that has a PIN that is only a backup for fuel pumps and the like that don't allow signature transactions.

Their online banking is a pain. You need to enter different kind of codes and pass words. I just got lock out. I need to call them to reset.

Ron.

Message 12 of 19
nyancat
Established Contributor

@Ron1 wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

@Ron1 wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

@Ron1 wrote:

Ron.

Ron.

Their online banking is a pain. You need to enter different kind of codes and pass words. I just got lock out. I need to call them to reset.

Ron.

Good to know Smiley Happy But... is it a true chip and PIN card that generally asks for the PIN for EMV transactions at merchants that support online PIN (like, say, Walmart)?

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 13 of 19
Ron1
Super Contributor

@nyancat wrote:

@Ron1 wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

@Ron1 wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

@Ron1 wrote:

Ron.

Ron.

Ron.

Good to know Smiley Happy But... is it a true chip and PIN card that generally asks for the PIN for EMV transactions at merchants that support online PIN (like, say, Walmart)?

I haven't tried it.  I usually use my Amex cards. Smiley Happy  

Ron.

Message 14 of 19
nyancat
Established Contributor

@Ron1 wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

@Ron1 wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

@Ron1 wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

@Ron1 wrote:

Ron.

Ron.

Ron.

I haven't tried it.  I usually use my Amex cards. Smiley Happy  

Ron.

Darn... I guess I'll have to wait and see. I know early HSBC chip cards in the US were chip and signature with a PIN backup for unattended terminals, but according to one person their connection at HSBC insists the cards being shipped today are real chip and PIN. I'll know in a couple weeks...

Message 15 of 19
NRB525
Super Contributor

Congratulations on getting the card, it's an interesting possibility with no AF and no FTF.

What limit did you get?

(and quite entertaining: " Yes, I don't care that the website has more security than a Get Smart episode, is it Chip and PIN??? " lol )

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 16 of 19
nyancat
Established Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

Congratulations on getting the card, it's an interesting possibility with no AF and no FTF.

What limit did you get?

(and quite entertaining: " Yes, I don't care that the website has more security than a Get Smart episode, is it Chip and PIN??? " lol )

Hey, spend enough time getting interrogated over why you have a chip and signature card, having your passport checked, your details written down, etc - all for a EUR 10 purchase or less... you'd feel the same. However, contactless alone should be sufficient to deal with that as most places in Europe now take contactless... problem solved. Tap, done, no signature slip to be interrogated about. Contactless solves 90% of the problem chip and PIN solves.

As for the limit - no idea. They won't/can't tell you - you find out when you get the card.

P.S. HSBC primarily only wants existing HSBC customers. The process for me, as a non-HSBC customer was insane. 1:02 on the phone, a heavy push on expat banking products, them reading the terms and conditions to me. You have to really want it.

Message 17 of 19
nyancat
Established Contributor

Still no card, but I did get a letter letting me know that I was approved (I know that) and the my Equifax report was used to set the terms, and that I had 60 days to review my Equifax report by law. Thus, I'm guessing whatever I did get - I did not get approved for the best terms (lowest rate). What I wonder is, does anyone, ever, get approved for the lowest rate on a credit card (especially this one, but any other)? I got a $7,300 limit on my Delta Skymiles and still got the highest rate. And my FICO scores are excellent (740-770 range depending on month), as are my VantageScore 3.0 (800+).

Message 18 of 19
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@nyancat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I had no idea HSBC was still issuing cards. Capital One bought their card portfolio a few years ago, (I have a QS1 that used to be HSBC). Have they now gotten back in to the market, or did Cap One only buy part of their card business?

Capital One only bought their sub-prime (Orchard Bank) business.

Yeah, Cap One bought my Orchard Bank secured card, but they also bought my Best Buy Rewards Mastercard. Most don't think of a BB MC as subprime - and it definitely isn't now that Citi bought it from Cap1 - but back then (2011) it was my first post BK unsecured card. HSBC sent me a pre-approval letter less than a year after discharge, $500 CL w/$59 AF, probably why BB dumped HSBC. I still have that card, CL now up to $2k, thanks to a Citi HP, but still $59 AF, but I average around $100 in BB Reward certs, so it pays for itself. 

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.