Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Had to come to a realization tonight.

tag
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Had to come to a realization tonight.

I'm spending way too much money for what I bring in. I actually feel humbled. I remember some oddball poster saying negative things about me here and what was said was not far off from the truth.

I have to settle down and spend what I can afford. My CC debt got up to over 10k.

I have to thank my lucky stars for PSECU, they have never let me down. I was able to get a personal loan to clear half of my CC debt and thankfully the rest is on a 0% card I can make big payments on monthly.

I have this forum to thank, because I realized I grew my credit garden way too fast and got irresponsible with it. This is a lesson learned.

Thank you everyone! Smiley Happy

(And yes, I had to take a HP on EX but this is something that had to happen to get things straight. My butt will be parked in the garden for 2 years, all of my credit aspirations have been reached and they need to age!)

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 1 of 51
50 REPLIES 50
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: Had to come to a realization tonight.

ahh don't feel down on yourself.

You just have to use credit responsibly...

I have prob $8k in cc debt, but it's all at 0%, and I get paid on commission+ I have that much in short term investments... so I do a little floating.

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 2 of 51
wallyworld123
Frequent Contributor

The good news is that you recognized the problem and took care of the problem  Good for u LS.

Message 3 of 51
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

LS... you will be fine. I know what its like to go from 3k in available credit to over 40k in a short amount of time. I was fortunate to have the lines when I needed them but honestly the zync is my primary card because I am forced to pay it off every month.

Try using zync more and bring lunch or eat home more. You will be fine Smiley Happy its just a learning curve of learning how to manage crazily huge credit limits.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 51
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

All of my cards except for zync and my debit card stays in an expanding file folder now... so if I am out and about I have to use zync and it makes me question whether I really need that purchase and if I will be able to pay the bill when its due.

When I use amazon card; discover card; or nfcu card it takes a conscience decision plus a few.extra.steps.to actually get the card out to use it.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 5 of 51
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

I just got in that boat. NFCU over night tripled my total CL. I haven't gotten the card yet but I need to figure out a system that maximizes my pts but keeps me in budget.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 51
amercnchopz34
Established Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

I'm spending way too much money for what I bring in. I actually feel humbled. I remember some oddball poster saying negative things about me here and what was said was not far off from the truth.

I have to settle down and spend what I can afford. My CC debt got up to over 10k.

I have to thank my lucky stars for PSECU, they have never let me down. I was able to get a personal loan to clear half of my CC debt and thankfully the rest is on a 0% card I can make big payments on monthly.

I have this forum to thank, because I realized I grew my credit garden way too fast and got irresponsible with it. This is a lesson learned.

Thank you everyone! Smiley Happy

(And yes, I had to take a HP on EX but this is something that had to happen to get things straight. My butt will be parked in the garden for 2 years, all of my credit aspirations have been reached and they need to age!)

Hey LS...

Keep your head up...i know what you mean....my DW got laid offabout 2 month ago.....i have about 4700 in cc debt....most of it is 0 %......so i am there with you....

my amex craving has been reached.......

good luck to you.....

Message 7 of 51
beb86
Valued Contributor

I feel for you and im glad you have put the brakes on before it got worse....your smart and will be clear of this debt in no time..... but thank you for sharing this so people can also realize before we end up like we were before most of us found this site.

Message 8 of 51
MrShush
Valued Contributor

No worries. I/we are all in at 5 figures too. Luckily, we have about 180K in credit lines. In the process of a refi, just dropped a car payment, and our wedding is done. Now we are in serious repay/budget/cost cutting mode. Debt sucks but we all have to focus on paying it back.
Message 9 of 51
NikephorosPhocas

As a long time lurker, I have pretty much watched your entire ascension.  I knew that around the time you obtained your Discover account though, that you would probably end up  here.  I'm not taking a personal stab, I just know from experience. I have been in your situation before. You get some new toys and before you know it, those toys aren't as appealing anymore.  So like any other normal human being, you start pressing for bigger and better things.  Just being approved for each new account can be a rush and it's addicting. I think most of us site been in a similar situation before, whether it was credit, a car, or a house.  If people say otherwise, then they must be Spock.

It's something to clearly learn from, but nothing that can't be repaired over time. Be smart. 

Message 10 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.