Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Happy Birthday Amex Blue!

tag
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Happy Birthday Amex Blue!

1 year old today.  Used every month for utilities, plus two out of pattern expenses (computer and travel) that they were warned about, minimum automatically taken from my bank account but never has been because I pif, one CLI (customer initiated) after 7 months, and I AM NOT asking for another one  Smiley Very Happy

So my only new credit in the last 12 months was my car at the end of December.  Nearly time to pull all my scores again

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Happy Birthday Amex Blue!

Are you going to take it out of your sock drawer and hold it up to the window, so that it can see what the world looks like?

Congrats on surviving the first year.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 6
manyquestions
Established Contributor

What are "out of pattern expenses" vs. "in pattern expenses"? Do they expect you to only use it at the same retailers every month? With AMEX should you just use it for the same amounts at the same places every month?  They don't like spontaneity?Smiley Surprised

Message 3 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

manyquestions wrote:

...They don't like spontaneity? Smiley Surprised

ROFL

You should always notify your CCC --any CCC --if you're going to be using your card in a different geographic area than usual, or for a much larger purchase amount than you might normally have. This is because of their fraud monitoring systems.

I called AmEx about twice a day for the first week before they finally (and patiently) told me that as long as I was using it within, say, several counties of where I live, and for typical purchases, they wouldn't question a charge. But I told them when I took it to New Orleans and when my daughter took it out of state several times and out of the country.

I've never had a problem with being declined, but I don't want to stand there like a chump because I didn't give them a heads-up. btw, I also have my cell phone number registered with them, so if I call from my cell, I don't have to try to remember my mother's birthday, which changes according to her moods.

Now as for possibly being declined because you got hit with their flying fickle finger of CLD fate, that's another story.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 6
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

You should always notify your CCC --any CCC --if you're going to be using your card in a different geographic area than usual, or for a much larger purchase amount than you might normally have. This is because of their fraud monitoring systems.

Correct.  Chase have called me up for out of pattern expenses, as have my CU and my Juniper.

And I don't mind!!

But I am more careful with Amex until they get used to me

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MidnightVoice wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Correct.  Chase have called me up for out of pattern expenses, as have my CU and my Juniper.

And I don't mind!!

But I am more careful with Amex until they get used to me

My CU calls me too and I'm glad they do!  It's usually a false alarm.  Imagine my surprise when I received several calls from them one night just as my card was being denied at the grocery store.  Restricted due to fradulent charges from Vietnam....totally drained my checking account.....
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.