DailyGrind

Hard Inquiries and AMEX

Sorry - this is another "when should I apply" / "will I get approved" thread. But I'll make it quick.

Basically I think I have a really good profile to get an AMEX Blue Cash Preferred execpt for a few recent inquires.

-No baddies, late payments, collection agencies, etc.

-AAoA ~7 years

-Utilzation 7%

-FAKO Score 741 (Credit Sesame) I know this has little impact, but thought I'd throw it on here anyway.

-Good number of revolving accounts

-Student Loans no missed payments

I have three recent inquieries in the last 6 months:

-May for a car loan

-July from Chase Bank for a Freedom

-July from US Bank for a Cash+

I'm worried that if I applied for a BCP soon that I will get denied because of so much credit that I've opened recently. How much does AMEX take this into account? Should I wait until January? Or longer?

Valued Contributor
jamesdwi

Re: Hard Inquiries and AMEX

DailyGrind wrote:

Sorry - this is another "when should I apply" / "will I get approved" thread. But I'll make it quick.

Basically I think I have a really good profile to get an AMEX Blue Cash Preferred execpt for a few recent inquires.

-AAoA ~7 years

-Utilzation 7%

-FAKO Score 741 (Credit Sesame) I know this has little impact, but thought I'd throw it on here anyway.

-May for a car loan

I'm worried that if I applied for a BCP soon that I will get denied because of so much credit that I've opened recently. How much does AMEX take this into account? Should I wait until January? Or longer?

I don't see any reason why you woldn't get approved for BCP, they aren't terribly sensitive on INQ's if you have otherwise good history. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSP 10k & Amtrak 4.6k, & Freedom 3.3k & Slate 3.3k, FNBO DISC 14.9k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 15k & AMEX Hilton Surpass 7.5k & AMEX Zync NPSL, Sams Club Discover 10k, Paypal Extras MC 6k, CapOne 2.5k, CapOne 750, Amazon 3.9k, Walmart 4.5k, Citi Simplicity 7k, HHonors Gold 1k (moved 5k CL to Simplicity), Discover IT 6.5k and a nice stack of store cards.
Last APP 4/26//2014 no plans for new credit I think I have enough.
Senior Contributor
bichonmom

DailyGrind wrote:

-AAoA ~7 years

-Utilzation 7%

-May for a car loan

with 2 new accts just 2 mos ago, you might want to wait until dec to app. It will be the same for future backdating. You would probably be approved, but I tend to be a little more conservative when dealing with amex. 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Valued Contributor
creditnocash

do you have any other amex's? if so id wait until january for backdating and if you dont get it it will only be a soft pull. if you don't and its something you really want go for it. 

from what ive read they are not ones to worry with a few inquries like barclays. 

i apped when i had 5 new ones in the past couple months. 

but i got barely approved. because my aaoa dropped to 7 months from 2 years. 

5 cards and an installment loan(still not reporting) 

Current: Discover Fico 689 7/14 Walmart Fico 682 7/14

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 8 TU 5 EX 5 | Most Recent: 09/04/2013
2 Inquiries in The Last 12 Months

2014 Goals:
Lower Utility

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$2900
Citi Diamond Preferred$6000
Citizens Mastercard$7000
Frequent Contributor
scientifics

I think you should be fine to be approved for a BCP!

DailyGrind

[ Edited ]

Wow, thanks everyone! I can't believe how many helpful answers I got in such a sort amount of time. I think I'm gonna go for it, but I'll wait until October since it's just right around the corner and it will put 3 months between my last inquiries instead of 2. Also I have an old inquiry from two years ago falling off the report completely in October.

I don't have any previous relationship with AMEX - but I'm curious as to the advantage to backdating. Does it have any benefits or does it just look cool to have "Member since '92" on your card?

Also - I bit the bullet and signed up for the free trail from myFico. I was pleasantly surprised that my real score was 758! However, I was surprised to see that there were no inquiries listed. Also my utilization was 12% :smileysad:. I pay the balances in full every month, but I guess I'll have to pay sooner than when the statement closes.

Valued Contributor
jamesdwi

DailyGrind wrote:

Wow, thanks everyone! I can't believe how many helpful answers I got in such a sort amount of time. I think I'm gonna go for it, but I'll wait until October since it's just right around the corner and it will put 3 months between my last inquiries instead of 2. Also I have an old inquiry from two years ago falling off the report completely in October.

I don't have any previous relationship with AMEX - but I'm curious as to the advantage to backdating. Does it have any benefits or does it just look cool to have "Member since '92" on your card?

Also - I bit the bullet and signed up for the free trail from myFico. I was pleasantly surprised that my real score was 758! However, I was surprised to see that there were no inquiries listed. Also my utilization was 12% :smileysad:. I pay the balances in full every month, but I guess I'll have to pay sooner than when the statement closes.

it helps with AAoA, if you apply for a card this year, and your next card comes in 10 years the next card  will show up on your credit card report as a 10 year old  Helping AAoA a lot. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSP 10k & Amtrak 4.6k, & Freedom 3.3k & Slate 3.3k, FNBO DISC 14.9k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 15k & AMEX Hilton Surpass 7.5k & AMEX Zync NPSL, Sams Club Discover 10k, Paypal Extras MC 6k, CapOne 2.5k, CapOne 750, Amazon 3.9k, Walmart 4.5k, Citi Simplicity 7k, HHonors Gold 1k (moved 5k CL to Simplicity), Discover IT 6.5k and a nice stack of store cards.
Last APP 4/26//2014 no plans for new credit I think I have enough.
Revelate

DailyGrind wrote:

If you have sufficient income doesn't sound like you'll have an issue with obtaining a BCP.

As for inquiries, they don't get reported to every bureau, in general they only wind up on one of the three though there are some exceptions.  I'm just guessing since you use CS and see the inquiries there, you live somewhere on the West coast :smileyhappy:.  Or at least further than the Mississippi though where the breakpoint is for TU's old stomping grounds to where EX was back in the pre-information age is unknown to me.

In any event, backdating is nothing but goodness as james points out.  If either you or Amex has a record of that card from '92, absolutely take advantage of it and get that Member Since date as '92.  

Starting Score: EQ 561, TU 567, EX 599* (12/30/11, EX lender pull 12/29/11)
Current Score: EQ 04 679, EQ 8 708, TU 711, EX 702* (07/14/14, EX older)
Goal Score: 700 on EQ '04 (01/01/15)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Senior Contributor
youngandcreditwrthy

Ive heard on these forums that optimal reported utilization is 9% for your FICO.. so maybe try to make sure your reported util is at 9%...maybe pay a little bit more before the statement cuts as that statement balance is usually the balance reflected on your CRs.

Wish I could get the BCP!

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $12.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Arrival $12.7k | Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $5k| West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Valued Contributor
RyVision

Revelate wrote:

DailyGrind wrote:

If you have sufficient income doesn't sound like you'll have an issue with obtaining a BCP.

As for inquiries, they don't get reported to every bureau, in general they only wind up on one of the three though there are some exceptions.  I'm just guessing since you use CS and see the inquiries there, you live somewhere on the West coast :smileyhappy:.  Or at least further than the Mississippi though where the breakpoint is for TU's old stomping grounds to where EX was back in the pre-information age is unknown to me.

In any event, backdating is nothing but goodness as james points out.  If either you or Amex has a record of that card from '92, absolutely take advantage of it and get that Member Since date as '92.  

I agree with all the responses, the biggie is that your income supports the recent credit and AMEX feels you can handle more.   12% UTIL won't hold you back if the income is there, no worries from what I can see.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+