New Contributor
austintex

Hard Inquiries

"Inquiries associated with applying for new credit are typically the only kind of inquiry that will impact your FICO® score."

Saw this on MyFico Equifax Credit Report.  I was under the impression that ALL hard inquiries counted against you.   For example, you get a hard inquiry when applying for a checking/savings account with a new bank/CU, right?  That is not under the umbrella of applying for new credit, though.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --
5/31/09 - 736 - EQ
Regular Contributor
Justn

Re: Hard Inquiries

[ Edited ]

You get soft inquiries when you check your own credit and when ever CC company feels like checking up on you. Soft inquiries can only be seen by you when you check your credit report directly from the CRAs website. Soft inquiries don't effect your score.

All hard inquiries do effect your score (except multiple auto or mortgage inquiries made during a 14 day period).

Message Edited by Justn on 06-14-2009 02:05 PM

Starting Score: 702
Current Score: 728
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
New Contributor
austintex

Re: Hard Inquiries

That is what I thought, Justyn.

However, I think MyFICO should reword this on the "inquiries" page of their credit reports.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --
5/31/09 - 736 - EQ

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}