Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard Inquiry for Calling and Reporting Lost Sears Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hard Inquiry for Calling and Reporting Lost Sears Card

Two days ago I noticed that an old Sears charge card that I have not used in 4 years was showing up as open on all three of my credit reports.  Since I don't even know where the card is, I called SEARS/CBSD and told them my card was lost and I needed one mailed.  They verified my address and told me that they would mail it in 7 days.

Yesterday I received an alert from TrueCredit saying:

NEW INQUIRY from SEARS/CBSD on 10/19/07 on TransUnion report.

Can they legally run a hard credit check for a replacement card?  I had no idea they would this.  How can I fight this so that they remove the hard check?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Hard Inquiry for Calling and Reporting Lost Sears Card

Very possibly a legit ing - if it was inactive that long they are essentially re-opening the account.  Try not to let sit dormant more than 6 months, preferably use once each quater (spend $10 in Sears).
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

They never told me it would require a hard inquiry. If I knew then I would not have done it. At this point what should I do?
Message 3 of 7
John060675
Valued Contributor

When you asked them if they would do a soft or hard inquiry, what did they say?  If they said "soft" then you might be able to call back and ask to speak to a supervisor and complain (make sure to give the name of the cust. service rep. you spoke with, all the details, etc.).

More than likely there will be nothing you can do.  It never hurts to ask though.

Starting Score: 583 EQ, 612 EX, 569 TU
Current Score: 658 EQ, 648 EX, 618 TU
Goal Score: 720 EQ, 720 EX, 720 TU

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Good gosh, it would never have occurred to me to ask if a CCC would do an inq for re-issuing a card! I may just stay in bed with the covers over my face. It's getting scary out there! Smiley Surprised
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I never even mentioned anything about inquiries (soft/hard). I just wanted my card reissued.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I noticed that my Kay Jewelers cc (only one that didn't close after my bk) was listed as open when I pulled my credit report.  I had previously cut it up assuming that it was closed.  When I called and asked for a new card they stated that since my account was inactive for so long I would have to go in the store and reapply.  I declined and stated that it was on my credit report as opend.  She offered to close it for me and I said, "no, no, don't do that.  I'm disputing some other things on my credit reports currently and don't want anything getting changed or messed up since I'm still in the process."  She said she would just leave it as-is.  *whew*
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.