Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard Inquiry on an existing CC account?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hard Inquiry on an existing CC account?

So I've had an account in inactive status with CFNA for about 4 years or so and I called them asking if I could reactive it and the told me that they would have to rerun my credit. I figured they would have to do that but they told me if would be a soft inquiry because I'm an existing customer. I made it very clear to the person on the phone that the only way I would reactivate my credit line would be if it was going to be a soft or else I wouldn't do it. They assured me it would be a soft but now here I am with a hard inquiry on my TU credit report and I'm thinking about calling them back and telling them to have TU remove it. I mean what else can I do? Are creditors even able to do that? Will they take responsibility for something like that or am I SOL? Do you guys think I could have a case if I were to dispute through TU, because it clearly shows on my credit report that I have a previous CFNA account and now theres another one. Or should I start with contacting CFNA first?

Thanks in advance.

-CValle86

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Hard Inquiry on an existing CC account?

Contact the company and ask them to remove the unauthorized hard inquiry.

Message 2 of 4
-RED
Regular Contributor

Welcome!

I'd ask them to recode it as a soft hit, because it ended up reporting different from what you agreed upfront.

@Anonymous wrote:

So I've had an account in inactive status with CFNA for about 4 years or so and I called them asking if I could reactive it and the told me that they would have to rerun my credit. I figured they would have to do that but they told me if would be a soft inquiry because I'm an existing customer. I made it very clear to the person on the phone that the only way I would reactivate my credit line would be if it was going to be a soft or else I wouldn't do it. They assured me it would be a soft but now here I am with a hard inquiry on my TU credit report and I'm thinking about calling them back and telling them to have TU remove it. I mean what else can I do? Are creditors even able to do that? Will they take responsibility for something like that or am I SOL? Do you guys think I could have a case if I were to dispute through TU, because it clearly shows on my credit report that I have a previous CFNA account and now theres another one. Or should I start with contacting CFNA first?

Thanks in advance.

-CValle86

-800 or Bust...!
Message 3 of 4
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

-RED wrote:  Welcome!

I'd ask them to recode it as a soft hit, because it ended up reporting different from what you agreed upfront.

+1

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.