Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard Lesson Learned

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Hard Lesson Learned

@creditguy wrote:

My point was simply I wasn't giving chase credit for something they didn't do. JP Morgan and Chase are one in the same today of course, but back then JP Morgan had his own company which saved the government. I don't believe a company should Inherit the title for doing something they didn't do simply because they bought the company that did. History books weren't changed to say JP Morgan Chase saved the day after all. We're off topic and I apologize for steering it that way, we can agree to disagree, have a great day. 

Ultimate decicison is done by JP Morgan and Chase is just its retail arm. Although we can't rewrite history, the bailout in 2008 was not just for Chase but the entiire "JP Morgan Chase".  And yes, let's get back on topic and will just put this here below..

The J.P. Morgan brand, historically known as Morgan, is used by the investment banking, asset management, private banking, private wealth management, and treasury & securities services divisions. Fiduciary activity within private banking and private wealth management is done under the aegis of JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A.—the actual trustee. The Chase brand is used for credit card services in the United States and Canada, the bank's retail banking activities in the United States, and commercial banking.

I hope you are having a good day as I enjoyed this little banter of ours.

Yeah I actually did enjoy the little banter, because I came away with something I didn't know before and learning something can never be bad, plus we came away like adults without it turning childish, one thing I like about this forum is you learn things not exclusively related to Fico or credit cards as odd as it can be sometimes. Thanks!!! 

Agreed.  

Message 31 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Let's be even honest with ourselves, how many people on here can genuinely say they will keep the card - CSR past the one year mark? My guess is not alot.
I would agree with this, just like the Ritz most people say 90-95% will cancel after the first year when sticker shock hits them after they collect the 100k ur and 600 in travel credit.
Agreed. And the fees add up. For example, If you have the Ritz, Amex Platinum, Citi Prestige etc.. that alone is alot of benjamins going just to pay annual fees.

For me we have the Chase Ritz-Carlton the Citi Prestige and now the CSR. Yes the hit would be bad but our cards will have the AF every 4 months. The Ritz card by far has the best benefits and my guess is CSR will be my points card. That being said if Citi doesn't ADD to there cards next year I will be getting rid of that AF.
If you don't travel then why get a TRAVEL card. I stay at the Ritz 3 times a year and the rest are marriott brand hotels such as Fairfield and courtyard hotels.
Message 32 of 40
driftless
Valued Contributor

I will keep mine after one year. We are pretty solidly in the Chase UR ecosystem.
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 33 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the 5/24 rule is pretty rough overall. In my case I had one single card for several years before starting my credit building journey 1.5 years ago. My second card, first in years was a basic Barclays rewards card. Then Discover three months later. Then two hotel cards from Chase. Then a hotel card from Barclays. 6-7 months later the Amex PRG. So I'm at six cards in 18 months, and I've not applied for any cards in 8 months now. Still have 9 months before I can get a chase card!

I will keep all of these for now, I'd cancel the basic Barclays card as its really useless but was great for building. Love discover and will never cancel it. Hotel cards all have annual fee, but a free night each so I want all three long term. Really long term, fees are totally worth it. Amex PRG is fine, but I'd prefer Chase UR program. I will keep it next year too, but cancel once I get a CSR. CSR I would keep long term no problem, but I can't get it. I'd like the chase freedom too. I'd like to get the AmEx everyday to replace my PRG, so I could stay in the AmEx program. 

Thats a a lot of cards, but all cards I want, and cards I'd keep. I would just cancel the one, and replace one with another. Pretty stable user, and all my cards get used and paid in full. Chase is making this way, way harder for me to get where I want to be and it's frustrating. Can I get there in 2 years, sure if I'm careful. Still annoying during this building phase.

Message 34 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@creditguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@driftless wrote:
Actually, I think that 5/24 is a good rule. Imagine what card rewards would be like without the churners. 5 cards in 2 years is a lot of cards. I know that I am going to catch flak for my opinion on this forum so now I am going to quietly put on my flak vest and helmet and hunker down.

The beauty of the board is having diverse opinions and that is very good.  I do agree with you on the above post and it is a good rule. I get baffled when people get upset about the rule and with Chase. There are many, many banks out there with similar products. 

I can also understand why some people don't care for them but we all have to remember, if Chase / JP Morgan didn't bail out the U.S government in 1895, we wouldn't have the financial system we have now. So lets give Chae some credit here.

Let's be even honest with ourselves, how many people on here can genuinely say they will keep the card - CSR past the one year mark? My guess is not alot.

I will give John Pierpont Morgan the man credit for saving the financial system in 1895, but not chase since they were not associated with JP Morgan then. And the government returned the favor to chase in 2008. 

Chase is part of JP Morgan hence the reference. One big umbrella.  And, yes the U.S government returned the favor yet people only bemoan how Chase got the bailout without referencing the overall picture out how the financial system survived in the first place.

Chase drives me crazy at times but lets give credit where credit is due.

Chase had nothing to do with the bailout back in 1895... 

Chase wasn't part of J.P Morgan back in the day, so I agree with the other poster. 

I think many people would give Chase more credit if their CEO wasn't a jerk on top of the recent bail out. 

Message 35 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@driftless wrote:
Actually, I think that 5/24 is a good rule. Imagine what card rewards would be like without the churners. 5 cards in 2 years is a lot of cards. I know that I am going to catch flak for my opinion on this forum so now I am going to quietly put on my flak vest and helmet and hunker down.

it is if you're collecting cards, but not if you're building and replacing "starter" cards with better ones as your credit improves

Message 36 of 40
Xistaben2
New Contributor

That is just it though - a lot of folks don't get 1-2 starter cards. Once they get into approval range, they open the flood gates with apps and scrape up anything they can get including tons of store cards. Then their credit score skyrockets like it would having 1-2 cards anyways, then they start going after cards that are true keepers.

By that time they are well over 5/24 because they overestimate the time a rebuild actually takes (in most cases about a year if they dealt with their baddies successfully).

It also doesn't help that Chase's rule here was sudden and still fairly recent. Surely, folks are taking their rule into consideration for their goals moving forward, since chase has proven they are serious about it.
Message 37 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@creditguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@driftless wrote:

The beauty of the board is having diverse opinions and that is very good.  I do agree with you on the above post and it is a good rule. I get baffled when people get upset about the rule and with Chase. There are many, many banks out there with similar products. 

I can also understand why some people don't care for them but we all have to remember, if Chase / JP Morgan didn't bail out the U.S government in 1895, we wouldn't have the financial system we have now. So lets give Chae some credit here.

I will give John Pierpont Morgan the man credit for saving the financial system in 1895, but not chase since they were not associated with JP Morgan then. And the government returned the favor to chase in 2008. 

Chase is part of JP Morgan hence the reference. One big umbrella.  And, yes the U.S government returned the favor yet people only bemoan how Chase got the bailout without referencing the overall picture out how the financial system survived in the first place.

Chase wasn't part of J.P Morgan back in the day, so I agree with the other poster. 

I think many people would give Chase more credit if their CEO wasn't a jerk on top of the recent bail out. 

@Anonymous,

I think you are missing the point here.  Yes, Chase was not part of it but Chase is now part of JP Morgan with the Chase brand is its retail arm.  You are aware decisions for Chase are made by JP Morgan correct?

I hope you read the whole thread before responding.  Not going to delay the thread so have a good evening!

Message 38 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@driftless wrote:

Agreed. 5 cards in 2 years is ALOT. I haven't apped for a card since 2012. 

I haven't apped since last Tuesday, so I'm not doing too badly, either Smiley Wink

(Seriously, it will be 5 months next week.  And that was just Penfed, and I am doing fine with just a savings acct for now)

Message 39 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@creditguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@driftless wrote:

@Anonymous,

I think you are missing the point here.  Yes, Chase was not part of it but Chase is now part of JP Morgan with the Chase brand is its retail arm.  You are aware decisions for Chase are made by JP Morgan correct?

I hope you read the whole thread before responding.  Not going to delay the thread so have a good evening!

I replied to your first message and didn't see the rest where you corrected yourself. So I give you kudos for that. Smiley Happy

Message 40 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.