Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard Lesson Learned

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Hard Lesson Learned

@driftless wrote:
Actually, I think that 5/24 is a good rule. Imagine what card rewards would be like without the churners. 5 cards in 2 years is a lot of cards. I know that I am going to catch flak for my opinion on this forum so now I am going to quietly put on my flak vest and helmet and hunker down.

The beauty of the board is having diverse opinions and that is very good.  I do agree with you on the above post and it is a good rule. I get baffled when people get upset about the rule and with Chase. There are many, many banks out there with similar products. 

I can also understand why some people don't care for them but we all have to remember, if Chase / JP Morgan didn't bail out the U.S government in 1895, we wouldn't have the financial system we have now. So lets give Chae some credit here.

Let's be even honest with ourselves, how many people on here can genuinely say they will keep the card - CSR past the one year mark? My guess is not alot.

Message 11 of 40
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@driftless wrote:
Actually, I think that 5/24 is a good rule. Imagine what card rewards would be like without the churners. 5 cards in 2 years is a lot of cards. I know that I am going to catch flak for my opinion on this forum so now I am going to quietly put on my flak vest and helmet and hunker down.

I think part of the problem with the 5x24 rule w/regards to this forum are alot of people are rebuilders on this forum including myself.  Part of rebuilding credit is getting credit and as your credit gets better getting better cards and getting rid of the not-so-good cards.  Thus the majority of this forum although not all of it are in some sort of rebuilding stage although their scores are good alot/most are over the 5x24 rule.  That is what makes its a bit painful for alot of people on this forum to swallow.  I agree 5x24 isn't a bad rule in theory, just they are also shooting down some not really bonus chasers by brushing everyone that is over 5x24 as a bonus chaser..

I admit I am way way over 5x24 as I have alot of great cards now and don't regret it one bit the choices I have made to get my credit where it is now when I still have a year or two until the last late/baddie falls off.  A few cards I could of passed on for sure, but most of them I enjoy.  Even if I did pass on some of those cards that I no longer have I am way over 5x24 and don't regret it other than not being able to get a few nice cards Chase has.  Tis life and there will always be some sort of new card in the future with something everyone must have.

Yes, but most people outside of the "credit world" do not rebuild with 10 or 20 or 30 accounts in one year. I'm not picking on you -- it applies to many people. I wasn't even rebuilding from anything bad yet I got way too many cards in 2014/2015. "Rebuilding" can be as simple as slowly building up 2-3 accounts in good standing.

Every action we make has consequences and the consequences are not always laid out clearly. By applying for a lot of cards you take a risk that future accounts won't be approved as you rack up many inquiries and new accounts. Rebuilding is one thing yes but inquiries/new accounts represent risk to issuers. Lots of new accounts usually indicates someone who is very credit hungry and may default, or else just an unprofitable churner.

If you truly aren't chasing after bonuses and just want the card for the long run then you have to decide if it's worth waiting out 5/24. Since most banks have clamped down big time on bonuses anyway (Amex, Citi, etc) there's not much incentive to be constantly applying for cards at this point. Applying for incemental rewards (i.e. not bonuses, just spend rewards) doesn't produce a life changing difference, and thus it's something that can wait.  Compared to the general population 5 cards in 2 years are a lot. Many people don't even apply for five cards in 3 or 5 years.

The positive part is that because 5/24 locks out churners, we may see offers/rewards get more generous since the criteria to qualify will be tougher.

Message 12 of 40
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@driftless wrote:

The beauty of the board is having diverse opinions and that is very good.  I do agree with you on the above post and it is a good rule. I get baffled when people get upset about the rule and with Chase. There are many, many banks out there with similar products. 

I can also understand why some people don't care for them but we all have to remember, if Chase / JP Morgan didn't bail out the U.S government in 1895, we wouldn't have the financial system we have now. So lets give Chae some credit here.

Let's be even honest with ourselves, how many people on here can genuinely say they will keep the card - CSR past the one year mark? My guess is not alot.

I would agree with this, just like the Ritz most people say 90-95% will cancel after the first year when sticker shock hits them after they collect the 100k ur and 600 in travel credit.

Message 13 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@driftless wrote:

I would agree with this, just like the Ritz most people say 90-95% will cancel after the first year when sticker shock hits them after they collect the 100k ur and 600 in travel credit.

Agreed.  And the fees add up. For example,  If you have the Ritz, Amex Platinum, Citi Prestige etc.. that alone is alot of benjamins going just to pay annual fees.

Message 14 of 40
IncrsCreditScore1
Valued Contributor

@driftless,I do think the 5/24 is a good one and agree with you; however

@CreditCuriousity: I also agree with you.  I was/am a builder who had no credit cards, so that is why I actually had 6/24.  Just wish I knew the 5/24 was going to come around before I got that many during a brief time frame.  But now I know and have made it a goal to stay under the 5/24 as soon as I can start that in April 2017. 

Hope I am making sense.

January 2018 Scores - EQ 797 | TU 800 | EX 798 | ~~Started Gardening Again on March 21, 2017
Message 15 of 40
Xistaben2
New Contributor

A vast majority here have applied and held onto a CSP for longer term. The CSR making the CSP obsolete for essentially $55 more AF and bigger perks, it might have more staying power long term.

I think it might beat out the Amex platinum just on the ability of 3x points on travel and dining with a 50% redemption bonus for those who don't transfer to partners.

I also noticed that UR has a lot of big name point multipliers for online shopping as offers. Amex does this better with straight cash back a lot of times, but they don't consistently have high profile brands, it's usually obscure stores.
Message 16 of 40
creditguy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@driftless wrote:

I will give John Pierpont Morgan the man credit for saving the financial system in 1895, but not chase since they were not associated with JP Morgan then. And the government returned the favor to chase in 2008. 

Message 17 of 40
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@driftless wrote:

I'm keeping mine.....Really, the 1.50x makes a huge difference w/ my business spend on ink+.  Chase should have simply increased the AF $55 on CSP and not have offered a new card so close to CSP, making CSP card obsolete.  

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 18 of 40
IncrsCreditScore1
Valued Contributor

As MissingCalifornia stated, "Other banks have always done this, even if it was a more general 'too many new acounts recently' or such."  But that "rule" was so vague, no one knew what the "rule" was.  Now with the firm 5/24 rule, we know where we stand and how to plan.  I am  so glad Chase gave us a finite rule.

January 2018 Scores - EQ 797 | TU 800 | EX 798 | ~~Started Gardening Again on March 21, 2017
Message 19 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@driftless wrote:

I will give John Pierpont Morgan the man credit for saving the financial system in 1895, but not chase since they were not associated with JP Morgan then. And the government returned the favor to chase in 2008. 

Chase is part of JP Morgan hence the reference. One big umbrella.  And, yes the U.S government returned the favor yet people only bemoan how Chase got the bailout without referencing the overall picture out how the financial system survived in the first place.

Chase drives me crazy at times but lets give credit where credit is due.

Message 20 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.