Did you mean: 

Hard Limits on AMEX Charge Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Hard Limits on AMEX Charge Cards

@Anonymous wrote:

@Stralem wrote:

True fax, my PRG was temporarily suspended yesterday because I had a balance way higher than normal (holiday charges, basically).

Apparently, an outstanding balance of exactly $2001 dollars and fifteen cents (**bleep**ing LOL) was too far out of the norm for my spending habits and they pretty much forced me to make a payment over the phone. Now, I COULD have paid the entire balance then and there, but not wanting to empty my bank account two days before payday, I only put down $700, my usual monthly spend. That got them to reactivate my card.

They didn't mention anything about a hard limit, though. The analyst just kept stressing that the balance was higher than usual. I can understand that...

But what I'm disturbed by is the fact that I have a new job lined up that requires air travel, often on short notice. It's been made extremely clear that I'll be expected to pay for what will potentially be some very expensive tickets up front if I don't want to end up at the unemployment office. So what if Amex suspends my **bleep** while I'm at the ticket counter at 2am? It's not a comforting thought.

**bleep**, I'm trying not to curse and suffer another ban, but it's hard as ff... heck. Smiley Indifferent

Time for some CLI's on other cards or time to send in 4506-T to AMEX if this is the case. Smiley Tongue

I agree with Nixon.  Also, to be on the safer side, you can call to let them know about your intended purchase so that you don't get declined.  I needed to put 40k on my gold card and although it said I was good to go online, I wanted to make sure I didn't get declined so I called for them to note the account or whatever needed to be done on their end.

Message 21 of 56
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Carry other cards with you and gradually increase spend on the charge card. I put at $4500 per month on my PRG and no issues at all. I take it that's "normal" for them to see that amount on there since I've put nothing less than $3k from the very beginning. 

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 22 of 56
Stralem
Established Contributor

I was expecting something like that anyway since my income has jumped by quite a bit.

Whatever...

The more I use these stupid credit cards, the more I've been coming to hate the convenient little fu... darlings.

Smiley Indifferent Smiley Indifferent Smiley Indifferent Smiley Indifferent Smiley Indifferent Smiley IndifferentSmiley Indifferent Smiley Indifferent

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 23 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Stralem wrote:

I was expecting something like that anyway since my income has jumped by quite a bit.

Whatever...

The more I use these stupid credit cards, the more I've been coming to hate the convenient little fu... darlings.

Smiley Indifferent Smiley Indifferent Smiley Indifferent Smiley Indifferent Smiley Indifferent Smiley IndifferentSmiley Indifferent Smiley Indifferent

Lol..

You got banned? Smiley Indifferent

Message 24 of 56
Stralem
Established Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:

@Stralem wrote:

True fax, my PRG was temporarily suspended yesterday because I had a balance way higher than normal (holiday charges, basically).

Apparently, an outstanding balance of exactly $2001 dollars and fifteen cents (**bleep**ing LOL) was too far out of the norm for my spending habits and they pretty much forced me to make a payment over the phone. Now, I COULD have paid the entire balance then and there, but not wanting to empty my bank account two days before payday, I only put down $700, my usual monthly spend. That got them to reactivate my card.

They didn't mention anything about a hard limit, though. The analyst just kept stressing that the balance was higher than usual. I can understand that...

But what I'm disturbed by is the fact that I have a new job lined up that requires air travel, often on short notice. It's been made extremely clear that I'll be expected to pay for what will potentially be some very expensive tickets up front if I don't want to end up at the unemployment office. So what if Amex suspends my **bleep** while I'm at the ticket counter at 2am? It's not a comforting thought.

**bleep**, I'm trying not to curse and suffer another ban, but it's hard as ff... heck. Smiley Indifferent

Why would you worry about that. with your other cards. im sure our company is not making you use amex. otherwise they should just give you a corporate card. no way i put business expenses from a company on my personal card. they would have to give me card or i would already be looking for another job.

I was hoping to build up some MR points, honestly. You're right about using other cards. It's just the principle of the whole thing.

And I'm drunk and need something petty to whine about.

Everyone Else.
Message 25 of 56
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Kinda lame you got banned for using curse words, I doubt there are little kids are on here. We are all old enought to get credit cards so we've heard all the bad words there are lol

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 26 of 56
Stralem
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yup. Nice little vacation, that.

Everyone Else.
Message 27 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Stralem wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yup. Nice little vacation, that.

Palm trees and coconut drinks, I bet. Smiley Tongue

Message 28 of 56
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@ojefferyo wrote:

Kinda lame you got banned for using curse words, I doubt there are little kids are on here. We are all old enought to get credit cards so we've heard all the bad words there are lol

I've worked in a men's prison and I've worked in a junior high school.   I've definitely heard all the curse words!   But I still have to remove them on here.   Smiley Wink

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 29 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@ojefferyo wrote:

I've worked in a men's prison and I've worked in a junior high school.   I've definitely heard all the curse words!   But I still have to remove them on here.   Smiley Wink

Interesting.

I've always liked creative edits better. Winds up being funnier than the original in most cases. Ever seen Die Hard 2 on non-pay TV? Smiley Wink

On topic: Hard limits on charge cards defeat the purpose of the charge card in the first place. It's annoying but they'll ease up eventually.

Message 30 of 56
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.