cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard Pull for Navy Federal Credit Limit Increase?

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Hard Pull for Navy Federal Credit Limit Increase?

@katrina0808 wrote:

I was reading some post and decided to increase my limit to $5k and I was approved. I got the itch to do it again and they wanted me to call. Should I have waited an hour or couple days?

Wanted you to call? did it say a condition existed so call? that is just an error, go do it again later.

BUT make sure you ask for full $25k next time and the computer will instantly counter to the full amount you qualify for at the time.

Message 31 of 45
Genkeim
Frequent Contributor

How long between CLIs does Navy make you wait? Is it 3 or 6 months?

NFCU NavCheck $15k | NFCU cashRewards $12.5k | NFCU goRewards $12.5k |AMEX SPG $10k | Citi AA WEMC $6.5k | CSP $5k | Wal-Mart MC $4.5k | US Air WMC $3.9k | Amex Everyday $2k | Amex BCE $2k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $800
Current Scores:Equifax 697 (myFICO 4/14), TransUnion 699 (Discover 5/14), Experian 754 (Amex 5/14)
Message 32 of 45
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Genkeim wrote:

How long between CLIs does Navy make you wait? Is it 3 or 6 months?

If you get approved I would wait 6 months, if denied I would say 3.

Message 33 of 45
boo77
New Visitor

I got my card back in Nov 2013, in Feb i asked for a CLI and wasn't approved, now my credit score is a 704 and I was wondering if I should try again, but I dont want to get a HP.. My credit limit now is $1500.

Message 34 of 45
MadTechnologist
Frequent Contributor

@boo77 wrote:

I got my card back in Nov 2013, in Feb i asked for a CLI and wasn't approved, now my credit score is a 704 and I was wondering if I should try again, but I dont want to get a HP.. My credit limit now is $1500.

If I were you, I would try for a few smaller amounts if you are wary about getting denied or another hard pull. Like in increments of $500. I would also wait until it has officially been 3 months. Such as if you applied last time on Feb 1st, then you're fine, but if it was Feb. 25th, then I would wait until the 25th or 26th before applying again, I think they ask for 90 days after a denial or something like that. Away, my score is far lower than yours is and I have a 2K nRewards (unsecured) CC with them and 5K in NavChek. I really love this CU and can't wait until I start getting monster CLs like I hear so many people have around here!

So, when you do try it out, let us know how it goes. We're all waiting to hear some good news!

Starting Score: 611 (02/28/2014 EQ MyFico) 608 (Barclays TU 03/28/14)
Current Score: 665 (05/13/16 EQ) 655 (05/13/16 TU) 672 (05/13/16 EX) Gardening since 04/30/2016
Goal Score: 740+ All Around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 35 of 45
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@MadTechnologist wrote:

@boo77 wrote:

If I were you, I would try for a few smaller amounts if you are wary about getting denied or another hard pull. Like in increments of $500. I would also wait until it has officially been 3 months. Such as if you applied last time on Feb 1st, then you're fine, but if it was Feb. 25th, then I would wait until the 25th or 26th before applying again, I think they ask for 90 days after a denial or something like that. Away, my score is far lower than yours is and I have a 2K nRewards (unsecured) CC with them and 5K in NavChek. I really love this CU and can't wait until I start getting monster CLs like I hear so many people have around here!

So, when you do try it out, let us know how it goes. We're all waiting to hear some good news!

1. I agree with waiting 3 months since your denial so they hopefully have pulled a sp review on your account.

2. I completely DISAGREE wtih smaller amounts... $500 or $25,000 does not matter for Navy rather you get a sp cli or a hp... if the system has a sp cli for you and you ask for $25k, it will give you the instant counter... if you had only asked for $500 it would just spit it back approved... if the system wants to do hp and you only asked for $500, now you have a hp and a $500 CLI and have to go back now and try to make the hp worth while... just ask for the full $25k from the start.

Message 36 of 45
MadTechnologist
Frequent Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@MadTechnologist wrote:

@boo77 wrote:

1. I agree with waiting 3 months since your denial so they hopefully have pulled a sp review on your account.

2. I completely DISAGREE wtih smaller amounts... $500 or $25,000 does not matter for Navy rather you get a sp cli or a hp... if the system has a sp cli for you and you ask for $25k, it will give you the instant counter... if you had only asked for $500 it would just spit it back approved... if the system wants to do hp and you only asked for $500, now you have a hp and a $500 CLI and have to go back now and try to make the hp worth while... just ask for the full $25k from the start.

Well, you have it from the expert. I defer to @Creditaddict, especially when it comes to NFCU. I just know that when I asked for a 15K increase from my 1.5K CL that they bumped me to 2K, I believe after a hard pull. I never saw any counteroffer or anything like that, especially in writing via email, snail mail, or secured message. But since my score is so low, more than likely it would've been a HP for me anyway. 

The point is, Your Milage May Vary, or YMMV, but you should shoot for the stars and let them tell you if they're willing to go that far or give you a decent counteroffer. I know when I initially applied for NavChek I only asked for 2.5K. I was approved, although I don't think instantly, but after talking to @Creditaddict I applied for the full 15K and was countered for 5K, which I gladly took. So if I were you, I would go for the 25K and see what happens!

Starting Score: 611 (02/28/2014 EQ MyFico) 608 (Barclays TU 03/28/14)
Current Score: 665 (05/13/16 EQ) 655 (05/13/16 TU) 672 (05/13/16 EX) Gardening since 04/30/2016
Goal Score: 740+ All Around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 37 of 45
boo1977
New Visitor

For some reason i couldn't sin back into my account, so I had to make a new one it's now boo1977... Anyway on to th egood news, I was able to get my credit limit up too $10,000 and then when I tried to go to $15,000 I was given the 3-5 day message... That's cool with me I went from $1,500 - $10,000 in less then 24 hrs....

Message 38 of 45
JKSIMMONS
Regular Contributor

@jmc912 wrote:

Does anyone know if Navy Federal does a hard pull for a CL increase?

Also when I go to apply online for a CL increase it tells me to put in an amount... Current limit is $7,000... Any suggestions for what to request so I don't get denied? Is doubling that too much to ask?

The account will be a year old in June... Should I wait until I hit the 1 year mark? I pay it off in full every month typically between $1,000-$5,000 every month. I've charged about $40,000 to it since I opened it 

If you request it online and it is auto approved, it's soft. If it goes to review, it's a hard pull. You can call and have them cancel it before it is reviewed to avoid the HP

Message 39 of 45
raydmercer2345
Regular Contributor

Hi Everyone! I just signed up with NFCU and applied for cashREwards the same day. I got the 3-5 day message but called in the next day and was approved for 20k. I am contemplating applying for another card (Nrewards or platinum card). Do you know if they will do another hard pull if I just got approved for the cash rewards 2 days ago, or can they use the same pull they did for the cashRewards? What are my chances of getting approved for another card within 2 days of applying for the first? 710 EQ FICO and 730 Transunion FICO 65k income. Thanks!

Message 40 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.