cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard Pull on Discover Credit Limit Increase?

tag
gx240

Hard Pull on Discover Credit Limit Increase?

Does anyone know from personal experience if requesting a credit limit increase on Discover's website will affect your credit score / require a hard pull? The credit limit increase page on their site actually says two contradictory things right next to each other. First it says "This request may also require us to pull a credit bureau report, which may affect your credit score." Then only two sentences later it says "This request will not affect your credit score."

Any idea which one is correct?

Here's a screenshot of the page in question.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
ObeyJohnny12
Established Contributor

Re: Hard Pull on Discover Credit Limit Increase?

@gx240 wrote:

Does anyone know from personal experience if requesting a credit limit increase on Discover's website will affect your credit score / require a hard pull? The credit limit increase page on their site actually says two contradictory things right next to each other. First it says "This request may also require us to pull a credit bureau report, which may affect your credit score." Then only two sentences later it says "This request will not affect your credit score."

Any idea which one is correct?

Here's a screenshot of the page in question.

You can go ahead and fill out the form. Just put in the amount you want your card to be increased by and fill out your employment status and click continue. Discover will either give you the amount you requested or will counter. If this happens then it will be a sp. The good thing about Discover is that it will let you know that your request will require further review (hp) and you have the option to accept or cancel the request. 

If it gives you the will require further review message, you can try to request a lower amount and see if it will go through again. Just be careful because after requesting 2 times (for me it happened) the system locks itself and gives a pending message.

YMMV as always. Good luck. 

Wells Fargo Secured - 7k
Opensky - 5k
Rebuilding One Day At A Time.
Message 2 of 6
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

I always call in and request CLI .....

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 3 of 6
fittiger
Frequent Contributor

I used the Request CLI button in April and was denied. I called in and asked for a review since I thought I'd taken a hard pull. The CSR told me they'd used a SP from
March and wanted to see more use at that level before raising my limit again.

This week I called in and requested a CLI from a CSR. She informed me it would be a HP and I consented. I was requesting an increase from 10,300 to 16,000. I was automatically granted 11,800. I said thanks and hung up. I then decided that wasn't what I wanted and called back and told then since I'd taken a HP I'd like my request manually reviewed, gave her my reasons and she told me she'd be back in a few minutes. She came back and said shed raise it to $15,000. I told her thanks very much.

I would have left it at $11,800 if I had not recently read another myfico member stating he had to be persistent and keep pushing for what he wanted.
Message 4 of 6
blueflame

wow ive never made it to that form and i've been trying for a year lol. it always says its unavailable almost immediately when i click the link. finally decided it might be worth it to just call in but i cant decide if i want to PC first or if i should just apply for the new IT card altogether (currently have the More card) so im holding off til i figure it out. 

good luck !!

EQ 658 (06/06/13) | EXP 669 (06/09/13) | TU 643 (03/23/13)
Discover More - $3K | CapitalOne Classic Platinum - $500

Message 5 of 6
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@blueflame wrote:

wow ive never made it to that form and i've been trying for a year lol. it always says its unavailable almost immediately when i click the link. finally decided it might be worth it to just call in but i cant decide if i want to PC first or if i should just apply for the new IT card altogether (currently have the More card) so im holding off til i figure it out. 

good luck !!

Welcome to the forums!!!

Good luck on your CLI!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.