Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard inquiry

tag
jaqhol
Established Visitor

Hard inquiry

Hello there. I am fairly new to posting in the forums. But I have read lots of posts over the last few months and it is a great place to browse for info and see how people progress. I am trying to improve my credit scores. i do apologize in advance for my long winded explanation of things below and would be grateful if anyone has any input or advice re this situation

. I had started a credit card application with a local credit union (I have checking and savings accts there with my Husband) and literally only entered my name and address on the app . I changed my mind and did not submit the app and just clicked 'save' re the information if I wanted to continue later . Next day I received a message from the local branch asking me to call back to finish giving details to complete the application. I did not call as i did not want to complete it.

The next day I was alerted by myfico to a hard inquiry made on my credit report. The inquiry was made the same day the branch rep had called. I was very angry and called the main cs line asking why there was a hard inquiry even though i had not even completed and submitted. I was told that just starting an application can ' trigger a hard inquiry" . Somehow this seems very wrong and has never happened before.

I finally spoke to the branch rep and she basically said the online section when an app is started ..generates it and sends it to the local branch. And this is what triggers the inquiry. She then proceeded to ask me about the the savings and checking account i had recently been added on to, and diverts the whole conversation to blaming the women who processed our checking and savings updates and said that they should have performed an inquiry when they added me to my husbands account. To me she is passing blame and I asked what on earth that had to do with this current situation.

So she basically told me that a credit inquiry would have happened either way. I want them to remove that inquiry as it was made without a submission by myself. Is it possible to do this does anyone know?

Thank you in advance for any advice. Jacq

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Hard inquiry

Unless you completed the application and submitted it they have no PP to do a HP.  Your current accounts with them have zilch to do with the application.

Maybe they should have done a credit check when you were added to the account but at the time they did not.  But because you do have a business relationship with them they do have PP.

I would call them back and tell them the application was not submitted and does not give them PP for a HP.  Ask them if they will recode it to a SP.

Message 2 of 7
jaqhol
Established Visitor

Thank you so much for your the advice. I will call on Monday and ask them abourt doing this. She basically said to me that the online dept has to deal with it. Yet all I get are messages from her that they are not available.  

I will update when I get an answer from them. 

Many thanks again!!

Message 3 of 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Moved to credit cards.....
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 7
QAMngrGirl
Frequent Contributor

stupid question but how does the OP have 0 posts?

Message 5 of 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Was originally posted in Smorgasboard ~ hence no post counting.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 7
zerobacan
Established Contributor

Stupid question... why you dont want to app for the cc now?

if you tell them how mad you are they HP anyways, can you use that as an advantage so they can give you... more perks, higher cl? an iron? Smiley Happy

Amex PRG NPSL, Amex Delta 2k (AU) Discover iT 5k, BOFA Siggy $5k, BOFA AlaskaAir Siggy 5k, BBVA Compass $5k! Macy's $4.5k, C1 $2.5, SFCU $2.5k, SFCU LOC $2k, Paypal SmartC $4k, Sam's 5.5k Victoria Secret $2k, Kay's $1.7k.,76/Citi $1.5k Amazon $5k, Walmart Disco $3k JC Penny $4k, C1 $2.5, BBRZ 700.
Starting:TU:536 EXP:561 : EQ:552 Current:TU:680 Walmart (2-15-14)EXP:712 FICO!! (12-4-13):EQ:622 (FICO 2-6-14) Uti 27% Goal: 720 By 12-13.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.