Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard nuts to crack-who should I target?

tag
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Hard nuts to crack-who should I target?

Which CC lenders are some of the harder nuts to crack in terms of getting approved? Since getting back in with AMEX I'm lolling for aspirational cards to target to serve as goals in my credit building. (I want reasonable targets for person with 6 figure salary).

I'm thinking CSP should be on this list but not sure what else. I'm goal oriented so this will help me stay focused and motivated. All suggestions welcomed

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Re: Hard nuts to crack-who should I target?

Oh and Amex SPG should probably be on list.

Message 2 of 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Either of the two top-end Penfed rewards cards: Penfed Plat Rewards or Penfed Premium Travel Rewards.

CSP just isn't that difficult to get anymore at least in the current market.  I think it was a lot more difficult pre-June '12; however, along with the Freedom there's been some approvals in the last fourish months that leave me scratching my head based on the information we've commonly accepted as accurate previously.

There was a thread a few months ago about the most difficult cards to obtain, and there just aren't that many anymore... most of the "goal cards" people talk about on this forum are now obtainable by the non-gold-plated mortals on this forum, and we're not exactly the prettiest of credit consumers with our behavior patterns.  That includes the Amex SPG, I nearly fell out of my chair on two recent approvals for that card.  Nowhere close to where it used to be.

Off topic looking at the Penfed card list, think I just found my replacement for my old Orchard, we don't talk about the Penfed baby cards, but I just noticed that none of them have a FTF in addition to the no AF.  Wonder if post-mortgage I can establish either their Visa Gold or Promise card if I have to make another two-step to one of the higher tier cards, too bad no EMV chip though apparently.

        
Message 3 of 12
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

From another thread here. 

simmons first national bank. 

never even heard of them before today. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 4 of 12
djrez4
Established Contributor

I'm proof positive that the CSP underwriting requirements have been lowered.  I'm not sure if I should take any pride in that.

Regardless, I think a general idea of your goals would help the forums make suggestions.  Do you want travel rewards?  Cash back?  Low interest?  Or, do you just want to be able to look at the card, then look at yourself in the mirror, and say "yeah, baby!" in a Mike Myers bad British accent (hopefully while wearing pants)?

Message 5 of 12
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@djrez4 wrote:

I'm proof positive that the CSP underwriting requirements have been lowered.  I'm not sure if I should take any pride in that.

Regardless, I think a general idea of your goals would help the forums make suggestions.  Do you want travel rewards?  Cash back?  Low interest?  Or, do you just want to be able to look at the card, then look at yourself in the mirror, and say "yeah, baby!" in a Mike Myers bad British accent (hopefully while wearing pants)?

Smiley Very Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 12
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

I don't care too much about just low APRcards. I'm looking for rewards, benefits and end game cards.

Message 7 of 12
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Duncanrr wrote:
I don't care too much about just low APRcards. I'm looking for rewards, benefits and end game cards.

I am also interested in this topic. Some goal cards would be nice.

Duncan, I forget what cards you have...

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 8 of 12
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

WF secured, Cap1 secured, Amex Zync NPSL, Amex Delta Gold, Walmart Discover, Chase Amazon Rewards, and Chase Freedom.

Message 9 of 12
Dustink
Valued Contributor

I have really liked US Bank. I would recommend you look into their Cash+ or Flexperks signature cards.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.