Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard time meeting Venture spend

tag
Boragard
Established Contributor

Re: Hard time meeting Venture spend

@pizza1 wrote:

So, my Venture bonus is 40k miles If I spend $3k within 3 months of opening. I was gonna put my rent on there for 3 months and a couple other things. Well, I just got my acct set up at my new apts, and went online to pay my rent, and the only option it gives me is checking or savings. (Sighs).... I specifically asked the leasing agent when I moved in if they took CC as payment, and she said not at the leasing office but they do online. Grrrr

so, I'm not sure how I'll meet the spend now without it.  The most I spend a month on everything...rent, cell, util, food, etc...is like $1800, and $864 of that is rent. Any suggestions?? I've asked my parents and brother If they have anything to buy that I can put on my card and they can pay me, but they are doing the same thing! Lol...I'll be able to meet the spend on my new QS, but don't think I'll be able now for the Venture without getting a little debt which I don't want. 

I might come close to it by maybe $500-800

Well you can always pay MY bills to help meet your spend!  PM me for some of my payees..,Smiley Wink

Message 71 of 88
onstar
Established Contributor

RadPad Part 2:

You want to use RadPad, but it charges you 2.99% for Credit Cards.

But Debit Cards at RadPad is free.

Can you buy a Visa Prepaid Card (works like Debit) for cheaper than 2.99%?

This sounds like a legit spending to me and not MS.

Cash Flow:

If you don't have cash flow issues (i.e. not living paycheck to paycheck), then you should definitely prepay some goods and services. Many people already gave you good examples, like utilities or insurance or non-perishable groceries. Or do a lot of 100% free after rebate purchases.

Friends & Family:

Even still, the best idea is to have friends and family help you. Whenever you go out to eat, offer to pay with your card and they can give you cash. Or ask around to see if anyone has any payments coming up that you can put on your card. And as soon as you get the cash, deposit to your bank and make payments to your credit card.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 72 of 88
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

All this secretive talk about Walmart & GC's and bonuses.....call me super niave

long story short. Sams club (where i shop a lot) does not take visa cards. However, they do take walmart gift cards so I go to walmart to buy walmart gift cards and use them at sams. Now when meeting the min spend on lets say the CSP buying gift cards could be considered MS or manufactured spending. Am i trying to beat the system kinda but i dont consider it MS, I would use my visa at sams if the allowed it and not have to buy any gift cards. Now if buying those gift cards allows me to obtain my min spend to get a bonus so be it. If chase wants to close my cards it would sure suck but i got plenty of other cards to use. 

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 73 of 88
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Now that explanation has been made...let's move on.

I believe OP has decided her best steps and I wish her luck in meeting her spend. 

Message 74 of 88
Anonymous
Not applicable

@09Lexie wrote:

Now that explanation has been made...let's move on.

I believe OP has decided her best steps and I wish her luck in meeting her spend. 

TY. Smiley Happy

Message 75 of 88
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess I don't see the harm in that as you ARE buying a product and you are going to use that product to buy merch. I know it is taboo but I am not sure why. This is the first I ever heard of it so no, I haven't done it, but my parents buy about 50 high limit VISA giftcards for their kids and grandkids every Christmas. I will have to let them know that their CC could receive AA if I am understanding this correctly.

Message 76 of 88
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I guess I don't see the harm in that as you ARE buying a product and you are going to use that product to buy merch. I know it is taboo but I am not sure why. This is the first I ever heard of it so no, I haven't done it, but my parents buy about 50 high limit VISA giftcards for their kids and grandkids every Christmas. I will have to let them know that their CC could receive AA if I am understanding this correctly.

Yes, it absolutely could result in AA especially buying that many. It's not something issuers like for people to do. Many do get away with it, but not forever before their issuer catches on.

Now, it sounds like your parents are buying them as actual gifts which is fine but I think the volume could concern their issuer. The reason it is "taboo" is because people will do something similar, not just at Christmas but over and over, and purchase tons of Visa/Amex/MC gift cards because they want to get a bonus or rewards, but don't have any product they want to purchase, so they purchase the gift cards and use them later on. It is usually more taboo with the "cash equivelants" vs the store gift cards but going overboard with anything is a problem.

Others may tell you that it's perfectly fine to do, but IMO you are always risking AA if you do it. Since your parents are not gaming the system intentionally I would just tell them to cool it with that and if they do wanna buy all those gift cards use debit or cash. (many stores are moving to this anyway -- not accepting credit cards for gift cards because of MS). The days of being able to buy tons of them with credit cards are going to come to an end.

Message 77 of 88
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Insists on discussing what he already knows is taboo.

Please move on, this has already been discussed.  Google is your friend for more information

Signature needs updating
Message 78 of 88
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

While a CCC can get upset by anything, it's usually more a question of volume and duration.  So buy 50 a month for 6 months is more likely to be frowned on than buying a few every Christmas.   That said, if they buy 50 $500 on one card in one or two purchases, that probably will get attention!

Message 79 of 88
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Duplicate post due to browser crash.

Signature needs updating
Message 80 of 88
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.