Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard to get a Discover CLI?

tag
revvystoke
Frequent Contributor

Hard to get a Discover CLI?

I have a Discover card I opened in 2009, I only recieved one cli, a small bump in 2010 from 1500 to $2250. I only used the card when it had the promo apr, I haven't put any charges on it in over a year. I applied for a CLI but was denied even after a HP. Idon't want to close and lose aaoa but it sure is annoying having a card with a small limit, not being able to use it without effecting my util.

I have two boa cards open, last reported with $0/5k and the other was $3.2k/5k but usually pif both. Both are signature cards though. No derogs, only 2 hits in the last two years and scores in the low 7's. why no love from discover?

I closed my other credit cards a few months ago that had limits under 4k.

AkAir $50k | Marriott $65k | Local CU $8k
TU: 770 / EQ: 748 / EX: 769
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: Hard to get a Discover CLI?

Thats odd, did you get a letter from discover stating the reasons you were declined for CLI?

Message 2 of 17
revvystoke
Frequent Contributor

No letter yet, I asked for an increase last Friday. If it indeed was a HP, any chance for a recon? The rep didn't elaborate why I was turned down other then I would recieve a letter explaining.

Message 3 of 17
theeurotuner
Valued Member

@revvystoke wrote:

No letter yet, I asked for an increase last Friday. If it indeed was a HP, any chance for a recon? The rep didn't elaborate why I was turned down other then I would recieve a letter explaining.

I'm 99% sure that it was a soft pull. When I called and asked that's what it was, but the rep transferred me to the credit limit increase department? You can see the info on my thread. Just call back and ask to speak to that department and I'm sure they'll do it for you, but with a hp.

Amex BCP- 1k, Amex EDP - 15k, Amex PRG, Barclays Ring - 10k, Barclays Arrival Plus World Elite - 12k, Chase Freedom - 5k, Discover it - 15k, Discover Escape: 17k, USAA World MasterCard: 10k, Walmart - 7,500, P.C. Richards - 5k, Lowes - 9k, Bank Of America 1 2 3 Cash - 15K, Amazon - 7,500K ~~~ Fico - TU-759, EQ-720, EX-751
Message 4 of 17
revvystoke
Frequent Contributor

Called them back and asked for the reasons, said it was a high balance to limit ratios, my other card with the 5k limit has never reported a balance. 3.2k/12.25k total is 26%, I guess I will s/d it for another year.

Message 5 of 17
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@revvystoke wrote:

I have a Discover card I opened in 2009, I only recieved one cli, a small bump in 2010 from 1500 to $2250. I only used the card when it had the promo apr, I haven't put any charges on it in over a year. I applied for a CLI but was denied even after a HP. Idon't want to close and lose aaoa but it sure is annoying having a card with a small limit, not being able to use it without effecting my util.

I have two boa cards open, last reported with $0/5k and the other was $3.2k/5k but usually pif both. Both are signature cards though. No derogs, only 2 hits in the last two years and scores in the low 7's. why no love from discover?

Been extremely hard for myself. I'm trying to just let it go and hope they auto luv me sometime.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 17
revvystoke
Frequent Contributor

Clicked the CLI on boa to see what would happen, got the 7-10 message and recon'd. I asked for 12.5k total with them and they offered 20k. Discover lost my business and will remain sockdrawered. Scores did drop from a recent inq to 695.

Message 7 of 17
HiLine
Blogger

@revvystoke wrote:

Making purchases through your credit card should not affect utilization as long as you pay off the balance prior to statement closing date. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 17
revvystoke
Frequent Contributor

Checked my TU report, no HP from them yet so I called back. Got $500 on the automated line, asked for a csr and she did a hp and I got $3500. Its a foot in the door at least. Scores are tu738.

Message 9 of 17
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

finally got it man. Congrat.

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.