cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardest credit card to get (excluding the obvious)

tag
ghawdex
Valued Member

Hardest credit card to get (excluding the obvious)

I'm enjoy some challenges and would like to take the challenege of applying for a hard credit card (but a good one). I'm not talking about the ones like Amex black, or thoese that have a $25k fee. I currenlty have Discover escape, Capital one venture, Amex BCP. 

So, I want something that's a "Hard to get card" but one that may have some good benefits.

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
w003ptr
Contributor

Re: Hardest credit card to get (excluding the obvious)

US Bank Cash+ because you can't apply online.

Last App 12/8/13 - BoA Better Balance Rewards

Wallet: Discover IT $4500, Chase Freedom $3k, Citi Forward $3000, AmEx BCE $2k

Sock Drawer: Citi Diamond Preferred $10500, BoA BBR $7500, Citi Platinum Select $2200, AmEx Clear $2k, J.Crew $1850, US Bank Platinum $500

12/2013: TU = 763, EX = 791, EQ = ??
Message 2 of 32
sailor_mercury
Valued Contributor

Barclay's Arrival

I would think it would be better to apply for a card that maximizes your rewards and adds value to your credit portfolio vs applying just because it's hard to get.

NFCU nCashRewards VISA - $20,000 | NFCU nRewards $10,000
AMEX Costco TrueEarnings $5,000 | AMEX Delta Gold $1,500
Chase SWA VISA $5,000 | Chase Slate $3,500 | Chase Amazon Rewards VISA $3,000
HSN Mastecard $3,500
Message 3 of 32
subwaysandwich
Frequent Contributor

i'm interested in this thread as well. /in

Message 4 of 32
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@ghawdex wrote:

I'm enjoy some challenges and would like to take the challenege of applying for a hard credit card (but a good one). I'm not talking about the ones like Amex black, or thoese that have a $25k fee. I currenlty have Discover escape, Capital one venture, Amex BCP. 

So, I want something that's a "Hard to get card" but one that may have some good benefits.

Any suggestions?

"Hard to get" and "good benefits" are pretty subjective.  Depends what you are looking for. 

If you mean cards with demanding underwriting and "you better have your ducks in a row" criteria, IberiaBank and Simmons First would meet both those requirements.  Both do it the old fashioned way, with an underwriter looking at your report.  IberiaBank is EX pull exclusively, Simmons First is TU pull according the credit pulls database.  Both generally require mid-700s scores and a bit of credit history.  Both offer good products with low interest rates, but so-so rewards. 

Message 5 of 32
red259
Super Contributor

@ghawdex wrote:

Any suggestions?

Finding one with good benefits (good benefits for your particular situation that is) is what you should be focusing on. Some lenders have been known to put out cards that are "exclusive", because they know some people are vain enough to pay money to have some sort of status symbol. Most of the time those cards are quite pathetic in terms of benefits and honestly when I see those cards I'm not impressed. It just tells me the person doesn't really know much about credit cards. Cards that will be more difficult to get are non-cobranded cards that require min credit lines (ie visa signatures like the CSP). People get denied for those cards not because its a hard card to get, but because the lender doesn't want to give them that high a credit line. Some lenders are much tougher to get in with but that doesn't make their cards better. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 6 of 32
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

@ghawdex wrote:

A somewhat difficult card to get might be one of the JCB cards.

They are accepted on the Discover network, but they are only available to people who live in particular states:

https://www.jcbusa.com/for_consumers/

Message 7 of 32
enharu
Super Contributor

@ghawdex wrote:

Any suggestions?

Most "premium" (or whatever term you want to call them) cards are pretty much similar in terms of underwriting. 

As long as you have >700 credit score, low or at least reasonable DTI, decent income, and nothing alarming on your CR, you are pretty much guaranteed to be approved in most cases. 

Some cards may throw in some "curveballs" such as due to geographical restrictions, and that's pretty much it. 

It is much easier to get approved for credit cards in the US compared to many other countries. 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 8 of 32
newUser0
Established Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@ghawdex wrote:

Any suggestions?

Most "premium" (or whatever term you want to call them) cards are pretty much similar in terms of underwriting. 

As long as you have >700 credit score, low or at least reasonable DTI, decent income, and nothing alarming on your CR, you are pretty much guaranteed to be approved in most cases. 

Some cards may throw in some "curveballs" such as due to geographical restrictions, and that's pretty much it. 

It is much easier to get approved for credit cards in the US compared to many other countries. 

+100

Also I firmly believe that in no other country credit limits will be as generous as in US.

Message 9 of 32
mariasoccermom11
Contributor

NORDSTROM!!!!  it took me at least 6 times... they are a very hard approval 

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.