Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Harms of canceling a brand new unused American Express Gold Card

tag
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Re: Harms of canceling a brand new unused American Express Gold Card

Opening cards and then closing them after getting the sign up bonus really draws the ire of lenders.  Chase in particular has started shutting down apps of repeat offenders. It's a dangerous game to play. 

Message 11 of 12
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

Re: Harms of canceling a brand new unused American Express Gold Card

@boomhower wrote:

Opening cards and then closing them after getting the sign up bonus really draws the ire of lenders.  Chase in particular has started shutting down apps of repeat offenders. It's a dangerous game to play. 

Sure it is :-)

Though sometimes sign-up bonuses are definitely worth playing it.

Many banks start to add a smallprint now, like "You are not eligible for a bonus if you had a similar card product with the bank in the last XX months" where XX tends to grow and grow (I think Citi already has either 12 or 18 months for some high-bonus AA cards).

I don't really see any lender blacklisting you for doing such things - it's only their fault they still have those loopholes :-)

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.