cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has AMEX gotten more strict with their CLI's or something?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has AMEX gotten more strict with their CLI's or something?

I have been denied by amex twice now for CLI's... The card I requested it on, I am literally spending 7-10k a month on and it has a 5k limit.  I have a been literally paying my CL off in full twice a month...  You would think that when someone with a brain went over my accounts, and saw I am spending way more than my credit lines on all of  my cards with them and paying them off multuiple times a month and paying more than the credit line i have off every month that they would be like "dang this guy needs this"...  but all I get is nada!  I am afraid to just pay my cards with them off and let them sit because when I did that with my BCE, they decided, "well he desnt use the card much so were just not going to let him spend over his limit anymore..."  or rather that is basically what the rep said when i wondered why they wouldnt leme go 14$ over my credit line to make a 500$ purchase...  Banks are so weird... they make money from us spending money... so why the crap do stuff like that when someone is paying their card off in full every month for years...

For most people wondering, I opened up a small business that generates a ton of spend... That is why I spend so much.

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
jawbrkr
Established Contributor

Re: Has AMEX gotten more strict with their CLI's or something?

Ok, as far as I know Amex grants CLIs every 6 months...by request. Also, they are not required to increase your CL simply because you spend more than your CL every month and pay it in full. That is entirely up to them. I requested an 8k increase a month ago and got it, no questions asked. If your requests were every 6 months and still denied, perhaps there is something else going on. Just my 2 cents. 

|| TU08: 811 || EQ08: 811 || EX08: 802 ||

Message 2 of 27
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

Just got a 5k increase this morning. Seem to be the same Amex from what I can tell.

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 3 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have been denied by amex twice now for CLI's... The card I requested it on, I am literally spending 7-10k a month on and it has a 5k limit.  I have a been literally paying my CL off in full twice a month...  You would think that when someone with a brain went over my accounts, and saw I am spending way more than my credit lines on all of  my cards with them and paying them off multuiple times a month and paying more than the credit line i have off every month that they would be like "dang this guy needs this"...  but all I get is nada!  I am afraid to just pay my cards with them off and let them sit because when I did that with my BCE, they decided, "well he desnt use the card much so were just not going to let him spend over his limit anymore..."  or rather that is basically what the rep said when i wondered why they wouldnt leme go 14$ over my credit line to make a 500$ purchase...  Banks are so weird... they make money from us spending money... so why the crap do stuff like that when someone is paying their card off in full every month for years...

For most people wondering, I opened up a small business that generates a ton of spend... That is why I spend so much.

I was just approved for an Amex BCE just a little while ago... so I cannot offer you a lot of experience.  With that being said I have been on these boards a bit and I can offer you the most important information in regards to credit limit increases etc with AMEX.   I will be applying this valuable information throughout my time w/Amex.  

I see you are a newer poster and that does not mean you have not been lurking and reading.  Maybe you have read it already .. maybe not.  I think it will advise you that you are not hitting the requests at those sweet spots.  Now mind you their are some anomalies I have been reading with line increases where some get it before these specific points in time.  I think you just may not be hitting the the line requests to often ... too soon or something.  Again I am in no way an Amex expert.   This seems to be the Amex algorithym on credit increases.   Check back and let us know.  

Here is the most valuable information on Amex. 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/The-Definitive-Amex-3X-CLI-Guide/m-p/1811071#M5911

Message 4 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

What does your credit profile look like? Maybe there is something in there that AmEx doesn't like. Also, when are you putting in the CLI requests? Are you sure you aren't getting denied because you haven't waited the 3 months?

Message 5 of 27
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Are you using a personal AMEX for small business expenses? They have algorithms which are used to detect card usage patterns, and that may be one of the reasons they are not granting a CLI.

The other important point, as noted by others here, what is the timing of the requests? If you asked for a CLI and your file was not deemed ready, and you were denied that CLI request, you have to wait more than 90 days before trying again, otherwise if you ask within 90 days, you risk getting denied again, and starting another 90 day clock from that latest ask forward.

If you have a business, have you considered applying for a business-format AMEX charge card?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would open a business account. you don't want to screw yourself up with a paper trail. I understand to become a business you have to spend a lot of your money, I get that. Once you open and have accounting to do, it is best to get a business charge or credit account. see what happens. Far as I know I think you get to combine MR with your personal accounts and rack them up
Message 7 of 27
black_citi
Established Contributor

I've been had my bce since 2014 and both my cli's have been auto. The first put me from my initial CL of 1k to 2k back in the summer of 2015. My next came about a week ago which put me from that 2k to 6k. Yes they gave me a auto increase of 4k. But I don't have a business nor do I spend anywhere near what you spend. As others have said perhaps you should get a business card through them if you dont already have one.
Make More, Spend Less
Message 8 of 27
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I wouldn't say they're "strict" on underwriting requirements but they have strict rules about timing:

1. If you've had a CLI on any Amex card you have to wait at least 6 months to apply for the next one.

2. If you've had a CLI request denied you have to wait at least 90 days to make another CLI request.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 9 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

"I would open a business account. you don't want to screw yourself up with a paper trail. I understand to become a business you have to spend a lot of your money, I get that. Once you open and have accounting to do, it is best to get a business charge or credit account. see what happens. Far as I know I think you get to combine MR with your personal accounts and rack them up"

What? a paper trail?  wth are you talking about.  Did you mix up a corporation with an LLC or something?  Who on earth told you to become a business you have to spend a lot of money?  This post makes little sense to me?  can you elaborate more? P.S. I have small business cards... charge cards suck especially with the new changes that will take effect in 2017 regarding the pay by date.

------

"Are you using a personal AMEX for small business expenses? They have algorithms which are used to detect card usage patterns, and that may be one of the reasons they are not granting a CLI."

I use this particular AMEX at grocery stores for gift cards and then spend those where I need them for both personal and business use...and that is pretty much it

"The other important point, as noted by others here, what is the timing of the requests? If you asked for a CLI and your file was not deemed ready, and you were denied that CLI request, you have to wait more than 90 days before trying again, otherwise if you ask within 90 days, you risk getting denied again, and starting another 90 day clock from that latest ask forward."

Since when is this a thing?  I thought it was 60 days after a denial.  Are you sure that requesting a CLI during the cool down period of 60 (or 90 now?) days resets the clock?  Because I am fairly certain this is not the case as I did it accidentally 3 days early last time and the credit department said that i was 3 days early and told me to submit it in 5 days just to be on the safe side, then I got a denial letter with actual reasons and not one that said it was too early to request a CLI.  Since then I dropped my balances a ton and added myself to some older cards to help my average age.  only thing I can’t help much is recently opened cards, but that shouldn’t get me denied.

-----

"What does your credit profile look like? Maybe there is something in there that AmEx doesn't like. Also, when are you putting in the CLI requests? Are you sure you aren't getting denied because you haven't waited the 3 months?"

700 score when i do the see my fico via my personal AMEX card.  Util depends on the bureau,

Transunion says 24% because the discover account i am an Authorized user on is stuck at "Reported: November 24, 2015" and has a balance of 5,573$ of 14,500$... I would fix it but my parents are practically maxing this card out right now so it is way better not to touch it... average age 3yrs 6 months

Equifax says 16%, average age 3yrs 6 months

Experian, I have no clue because I have no free way to check my balances being reported... which this is prolly the most important one of em all since amex pulls this bureau....

No negative info. I just went through and removed all my extra numbers addresses and info that is old so my report is pretty lean. I would have a way better util... but i bought a ring for my girlfriend at zales because they had their black friday 15% off including clearence and it set me back about 5-6k on my citi cards.  It was clearence bringing it to like 6-7k, but the addl 15% off made it about 5-6k.... getting a ring that nice as it was for that kind of money and it is the one she loved... just couldn't let the opportunity pass... and you would know it was 5 days before statement close....  

I literally paid my balances on all my AMEX cards way ahead and gave it 2 days after posting to do the request.

---
I understand they don't have to give me a CLI... but it would make my life a ton easier... I pay all my statements in full every month, been around for years, I don't see why I would not be considered a trustworthy person especially when I pay my balances through the month and generally early.... I will say it is very difficult to keep a low util when i can kill a limit in a week or two on a C-card.
I have 7 cards with AMEX...  
     used /  CL
BC (200$ / 1000$ balance), Paid in full already
BCE (0$ / 5,000$ balance),  Paid almost 9k and status of paid in full already
Hilton (2,300$ / 2,800 balance) paid 5k this month already so everything is paid in full till Jan 14,
Premier Rewards Gold (600$ balance),  paid in full
Simply Cash, (4,100$ / 10,000$ balance), Paid about 9K on this this month and it is paid in full till Jan 14
Simply Cash Plus(3700$ of 4,000) Paid in full for the month till 13th jan,
Business Gold (900$ balance) Paid all but 125$ of balance already this month.

I will note that i have a couple late payments... but about 1-2 days MAX because my business took too much of my attention and I lost track of time.  but the last one was 3-4 months ago.

There is also the fact that having smaller credit lines on my cards really hurts my util... having higher limits would be good for someone that sends about 170k-220k a year with personal and business combined.  120-140K via amex cards as I love AMEX and she is my favorite girl.  Wouldn’t that make a difference when looked at by an underwriter?  I mean someone pays everything in full on time regularly and is going 2x their credit line on some cards monthly but still paying it off the entire thing... You would think that would get noticed.

I literally try my best to keep up with my cards and pay early...  But I am also so busy I pull 36 hours straight 4-5 times a year to keep up haha.  I am trying to put my girl through college and keep her inquiry free so she can basically be the rock for a home loan since my business swings my credit reports up and down via util a lot as I can't really control when a customer hands me a check.

sorry for the errors im fixing as i go... my hands are cold right now which leads to errors in typing.  I think im done now tho

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.