cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has AMEX gotten more strict with their CLI's or something?

tag
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Has AMEX gotten more strict with their CLI's or something?

Maybe I missed it, but what was the denial reasons?
Message 11 of 27
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Could the fairly recent lates be a reason for the denial, just maybe??
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 12 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

It sounds like you need a charge card! If you PIF it makes the most sense.

Message 13 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel like a noob asking this but what is PIF?

if they made a 2% CB charge or one that wasn't directed at pl that like to travel, I would be game.... but they don't... and rewards points are a waste of good cash back..  I prefer to make as much money as I can, every card has a purpose and that is maximum cash back on everything I spend anyway... until one day when im rich and don't care, then i will care more about travel.  I don't have the time to travel right now, I have a business to run!  Want to be able to choose between the Ferarri or the modded 3000GT because it is a 4 wheel drive bamf that is way faster cause I built the motor by hand and it runs dual 60mm turbos, in order to get to my beach house... Prolly never happen but i am going to try really friggin hard

they are 1 in the last 8-9 months and they also were not listed among the reasons anywhere.... util, average age, and recently opened accounts...  Util and average age have been mostly fixed... could be better but im doin the best i can...  and really kind of need that increase cause i hate goin over my limit

Message 14 of 27
rlx01
Established Contributor

No one knows for sure.

I requested a CLI from 34k to 50k and it was instantly approved. No 4506-T.
Message 15 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

if they made a 2% CB charge or one that wasn't directed at pl that like to travel, I would be game.... but they don't... and rewards points are a waste of good cash back..  I prefer to make as much money as I can, every card has a purpose and that is maximum cash back on everything I spend anyway... until one day when im rich and don't care, then i will care more about travel.  I don't have the time to travel right now, I have a business to run!  Want to be able to choose between the Ferarri or the modded 3000GT because it is a 4 wheel drive bamf that is way faster cause I built the motor by hand and it runs dual 60mm turbos, in order to get to my beach house... Prolly never happen but i am going to try really friggin hard

they are 1 in the last 8-9 months and they also were not listed among the reasons anywhere.... util, average age, and recently opened accounts...  Util and average age have been mostly fixed... could be better but im doin the best i can...  and really kind of need that increase cause i hate goin over my limit

"PIF":  Acronym meaning "PAID IN FULL"

You will probably read this here on myFICO more than once in terms of Rebuilding or Building Credit... I have to remember it myself because I always want what everyone else is getting. 

It's a marathon, not a race... or  Credit is a marathon not a sprint. 

Message 16 of 27
rlx01
Established Contributor

To the OP:

This might be one of those cases where you need to call Amex and speak with underwriting.

Just to add something here:

There is nothing stopping people from putting business spend on personal cards. It doesn't even matter if the business is a corporation.

What you should not do is put personal spending on a business card opened for an entity. That's against issuer T&C for good reasons. They're trying to save you from yourself.
Message 17 of 27
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I saw the added information about the cards you have with AMEX. Among others you have a personal charge card in the PRG, and a business charge card.

Since one of the denial reasons is Utilization, and you are heavily utilizing each of your Revolvers each month, that may be causing issues. I would suggest slowing down the use of the revolver AMEX cards, to let them cool down a bit while you wait for the next CLI request timing.

Use the PRG and Business Gold, those should adjust based on usage to allow you to make necessary purchases. Their spending limit tracks and adjusts to what your trends are.

Then after a couple of months of reduced usage of the Revolvers, when you are eligible to ask for another CLI, just as for a CLI on the one you really want to increase long term.

Your objective is to get to cash back, and the MR points probably don't quite align with that, but too much usage of the revolvers is perhaps causing issues. It's hard for any of us to say, because we don't have complete understanding of the AMEX requirements, and we don't have complete  understanding of your entire profile. You've given a lot of information here, so there are some things that seem like possible limiters, but it's difficult to say exactly how they would factor in to a decision by AMEX.

How long has your Hilton card been open? That is not cash back, so if that card reaches 13 statements (is open for more than a year) you may have the option to move that credit limit over to another card, then close the Hilton card. Even if that is the largest limit, do not request the CLI on the Hilton card, because it will need to season, to age, on that card, before that credit limit can be moved to another card. Make your CLI request directly on the card you intend to have for the long term.

Good luck!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 18 of 27
dragontears
Senior Contributor

After reading your other thread about keeping your blispay at a constant 80-90%, I think your major issue is the utilization. Unfortunately, lenders like to give credit when you don't need it. You may want to consider manipulating the amount you let report (by paying cards before the statement date) or use your charge cards more since the balance on them doesn't factor into utilization
Message 19 of 27
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No negative info. I just went through and removed all my extra numbers addresses and info that is old so my report is pretty lean. I would have a way better util... but i
I have 7 cards with AMEX...  
     used /  CL
BC (200$ / 1000$ balance), Paid in full already
BCE (0$ / 5,000$ balance),  Paid almost 9k and status of paid in full already
Hilton (2,300$ / 2,800 balance) paid 5k this month already so everything is paid in full till Jan 14,
Premier Rewards Gold (600$ balance),  paid in full
Simply Cash, (4,100$ / 10,000$ balance), Paid about 9K on this this month and it is paid in full till Jan 14
Simply Cash Plus(3700$ of 4,000) Paid in full for the month till 13th jan,
Business Gold (900$ balance) Paid all but 125$ of balance already this month.

Is the BC the Blue Cash, with 5% after $6,500 annual spend, up to $50,000?

BCE is the Blue Cash Everyday, not the Blue Cash Preferred, correct?

When was the BC opened?

When was the BCE opened?

When was the Hilton opened?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.