cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has American Express always processed payments this way? (Auto payment going out prior to due date)

tag
TM82
Regular Contributor

Has American Express always processed payments this way? (Auto payment going out prior to due date)

Just a question for you guys, I have all of my credit cards setup for auto pay.  With my Chase cards, it withdraws the amount and I get credit for the payment on the date it's due, even if the due date falls on the weekend.  For example all of my cards have due dates for the 5th of every month, so on the 5th the payment gets drawn out.  I did the same for American Express Blue.

I setup for Auto Pay months ago and it's always drawn out on the due date.  This past time the payment was due on the 7th, but it drew out the money from my account on the 6th.  I had enough money in the account to cover it but I was a little perplexed why auto payment for full due for the due date took out a day early.  I sent a message to Amex through online and they responded that the way their auto payment works is that I have 25 days grace period for payments.  I've never noticed this before, from my experience the payment has always been processed and left my account on the exact due date.  Isn't the point of auto pay, full payment to make sure that the payment is made on the day that it's due?  Has it always been this way and I've never noticed?

My Cards
American Express Blue | American Express Premier Rewards Gold | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase United Explorer | Chase United MileagePlus Club | JPMorgan Palladium

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: Has American Express always processed payments this way? (Auto payment going out prior to due da

Are they withdrawing from your Chase account?? I have noticed when paying my Amex from Chase it sometimes processes same day I make the payment, Maybe Amex is sending it for the due date but Chase is so fast it comes out a day earlier

Message 2 of 9
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: Has American Express always processed payments this way? (Auto payment going out prior to due da

Bump

Message 3 of 9
mirachi
Regular Contributor

Maybe has to do with different time zones? 

Never tried with auto pay but most of my payments would be posted at midnight of company location...so it could be that when AMEX updates their system, they'll automatically send out a transfer request at that time but since they're an hour or two ahead, it looks like they did it a day before?

Last app 5/7/2014

No apps until 3/31/2016!
Message 4 of 9
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

The way it works for me with Amex is my due date is on the 18th of the month but I have set up auto pay so that the payment can be made on the 14th (you can adjust that in auto pay with payment being made between 15 and 25 days after the statement date), however the money is withdrawn from my account on the 15th. 

Message 5 of 9
asulaw
Established Member

If it is any correlation, I do my payments manually and they have been pulling from my checking account in 2 days or less. Used to take a lot longer, about 5 days before.

Wells Fargo Student - $2,300 / Discover It - $2,000 / Chase Slate - $1,500 / Marriott Premier Rewards - $5,000 / Citi ThankYou Preferred - $2,000 / AMEX TrueEarnings - $1,200 / Target RedCard - $300

Total CL: $14,300
Util: 28%
Message 6 of 9
jim44
Established Contributor

I have Auto Pay through Directv and under terms and condtiions it states they will deduct the monthly bill on or around the 30th of each month. I just make sure there is enough in my account at least 5 days before the 30th. I've noticed the funds withdrawn as early as the 28th but no later than the 1st. Whichever date it happens, it is never considered late. 

Message 7 of 9
john398
Senior Contributor

@asulaw wrote:

If it is any correlation, I do my payments manually and they have been pulling from my checking account in 2 days or less. Used to take a lot longer, about 5 days before.

If I make a payment on AmEx site in the morning ifor me it seems to be taken out same day from my Chase Account

Message 8 of 9
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@TM82 wrote:

Just a question for you guys, I have all of my credit cards setup for auto pay.  With my Chase cards, it withdraws the amount and I get credit for the payment on the date it's due, even if the due date falls on the weekend.  For example all of my cards have due dates for the 5th of every month, so on the 5th the payment gets drawn out.  I did the same for American Express Blue.

I setup for Auto Pay months ago and it's always drawn out on the due date.  This past time the payment was due on the 7th, but it drew out the money from my account on the 6th.  I had enough money in the account to cover it but I was a little perplexed why auto payment for full due for the due date took out a day early.  I sent a message to Amex through online and they responded that the way their auto payment works is that I have 25 days grace period for payments.  I've never noticed this before, from my experience the payment has always been processed and left my account on the exact due date.  Isn't the point of auto pay, full payment to make sure that the payment is made on the day that it's due?  Has it always been this way and I've never noticed?

Hey TM82!

I think it is determined by the bank.  I too have auto pay set up for my accounts.  With 2 of my accounts (Amex and my local CU), the payment is processed by them to withdraw the funds to ensure the payment is received at their payment center on the due date; for example- Amex will pull my funds before the weekend if my payment due date falls on a weekend day.  With Chase and Barclays, the payment is credited on the payment date regardless if it falls on a weekend or not and the payment is withdrawn on the subsequent next business day.  I think this is more consumer friendly and a better business pracitce.  I was also a little perplexed the first time my payment came out before the actual due date even though my payment was set up for withdrawal the actual payment due date.  In my opinion, the bank should wait for the next business day just as we must do. 

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.