cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has Amex lost its prestigious status?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Has Amex lost its prestigious status?

Not really. Times have changed and so have habits and employment/salaries. Amex is a Bank that needs to keep up with the market and maintain its share. So, they will adjust where necessary, or be defunct! They are in business to make money! All of those exclusive people from the 60's and 70's are 80's old and /or dead!

Change is constant!

SO............

$4k is quite a bit more than the averge joe really need in terms of credit.
Most of us want the higher SL to offset those balance ratios. But really who wants to be 25-30k in debt with a bank?
That's not a good life or a good look. You'd always be stressed and drinking and doing drugs just to cope.

People need to learn restraint & financial mangement. How can someone wth adequate...ok, let's say a low-range $10/hour job with a $300SL starter card max it out and not pay that off? They are irresponsible! No other way around it. They make more than enough to pay off that $300 card.

I'd even argue that $500 is plenty for the averge joe. Banks these days have put themselves where they are. Giving out limits like candy at the $1 store. So, if the bank doesn't care, why would the person who is used to not paying bills?

A few years later, this same subprime person, wants to clean up their credit. They've learned and want to be a part of a regular functioning society. They have a better paying job and can now afford a better lifestyle. Nothing prestigious, but they can handle paying and being responsible. In comes the Banks that now want to gain a part of that persons financial resources. Remember times have changed and so have people...remember those prestigious people? They old & dead. Your exclusive bank & card, now needs to function as a normal everyday person business - if they want to stay in business.

Just because you got it, doesn't mean you should be charging it.

If you make $150-$200k a year, there is no reason you should NOT be able to plop down cash on whatever you are preparing to buy with that card.

That's like the hard working man who slaves all day making butt loads of money, only to have his wife in the store with his credit cards all day, every day chargining and chargining...he has no control or restraint over HIS life! If your mate wants to charge, let them get their own card and charge their credit up - using their exclusive social and birthdate.
A lot of these regular EXCLUSIVE people have this fasle sense of exclusivity and are the main ones in the top tier of debt - unable to pay their exclusive bills! All becuse the bank thinks they are special. LoL.

The rules of the game still has not changed... PAY WHAT YOU OWE!

Message 61 of 73
driftless
Valued Contributor

FYI - the average credit card credit limit is $8,071.00.  I was curious so I Googled it.  https://smartasset.com/credit-cards/the-average-credit-card-limit

CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 62 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

@driftless wrote:

FYI - the average credit card credit limit is $8,071.00.  I was curious so I Googled it.  https://smartasset.com/credit-cards/the-average-credit-card-limit

Thanks, that was an EPIC link!  Due to my past difficulties, I am below average, apparently.  I expect to be above average in under a year though.  I already am quite close for my generation, which I found to be a cool breakdown by the author of that article.  I bookmarked it, I just hope I remember to look at it again(my bookmark section has some similarities to a black hole).  

Message 63 of 73
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@driftless wrote:

Thanks, that was an EPIC link!  Due to my past difficulties, I am below average, apparently.  I expect to be above average in under a year though.  I already am quite close for my generation, which I found to be a cool breakdown by the author of that article.  I bookmarked it, I just hope I remember to look at it again(my bookmark section has some similarities to a black hole).  

While it has some interesting data, it starts:

Your credit limit determines how much you can charge to your credit card before you start racking up interest.

Which is a very strange definition!

Message 64 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@driftless wrote:

Your credit limit determines how much you can charge to your credit card before you start racking up interest.

Nice catch!  I just skimmed it, so I didn't note that.   Something like that sometimes makes me question the validity of the numbers.  Being I didnt read it all, did you see if she cited a source for any of the numbers?  Maybe Ill go back in a moment.  

Message 65 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Not really. Times have changed and so have habits and employment/salaries. Amex is a Bank that needs to keep up with the market and maintain its share. So, they will adjust where necessary, or be defunct! They are in business to make money! All of those exclusive people from the 60's and 70's are 80's old and /or dead!

Change is constant!

SO............

$4k is quite a bit more than the averge joe really need in terms of credit.
Most of us want the higher SL to offset those balance ratios. But really who wants to be 25-30k in debt with a bank?
That's not a good life or a good look. You'd always be stressed and drinking and doing drugs just to cope.

People need to learn restraint & financial mangement. How can someone wth adequate...ok, let's say a low-range $10/hour job with a $300SL starter card max it out and not pay that off? They are irresponsible! No other way around it. They make more than enough to pay off that $300 card.

I'd even argue that $500 is plenty for the averge joe. Banks these days have put themselves where they are. Giving out limits like candy at the $1 store. So, if the bank doesn't care, why would the person who is used to not paying bills?

A few years later, this same subprime person, wants to clean up their credit. They've learned and want to be a part of a regular functioning society. They have a better paying job and can now afford a better lifestyle. Nothing prestigious, but they can handle paying and being responsible. In comes the Banks that now want to gain a part of that persons financial resources. Remember times have changed and so have people...remember those prestigious people? They old & dead. Your exclusive bank & card, now needs to function as a normal everyday person business - if they want to stay in business.

Just because you got it, doesn't mean you should be charging it.

If you make $150-$200k a year, there is no reason you should NOT be able to plop down cash on whatever you are preparing to buy with that card.

That's like the hard working man who slaves all day making butt loads of money, only to have his wife in the store with his credit cards all day, every day chargining and chargining...he has no control or restraint over HIS life! If your mate wants to charge, let them get their own card and charge their credit up - using their exclusive social and birthdate.
A lot of these regular EXCLUSIVE people have this fasle sense of exclusivity and are the main ones in the top tier of debt - unable to pay their exclusive bills! All becuse the bank thinks they are special. LoL.

The rules of the game still has not changed... PAY WHAT YOU OWE!

Says the guy with 30 credit cards.   The Pretigious Amex cards are charge cards so your rant doesn't even apply to the topic at hand.

Message 66 of 73
driftless
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@driftless wrote:

Nice catch!  I just skimmed it, so I didn't note that.   Something like that sometimes makes me question the validity of the numbers.  Being I didnt read it all, did you see if she cited a source for any of the numbers?  Maybe Ill go back in a moment.  

Source: Experian

CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 67 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

@driftless wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@driftless wrote:

Source: Experian

Thanks, I appreciate that.  

Message 68 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just like many other things that used to be prestigious or for a specific class, it's disappeared and almost anyone can get an Amex these days. They're a company that just like any other company wants to grow and you either do that by getting more from existing customers or acquiring new customers.
Message 69 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im wayyyyy higher than my generation that thurrr 1995
Message 70 of 73
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.