cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has BML replaced any CC as your Go To Big Ticket Item Card?

tag
Blackbeauty212
Frequent Contributor

I have always had 2 main CC's that I use often....an Everyday Card (now Citi Forward) and a "Big Ticket Card" (was Citi TYPreferred) 

My "Big Ticket" Card was just that, a card resevered for Big Ticket Purchases that I may need to carry a Balance on for a few months. As of the last Year I haven't used my Citi TYP for any Big Ticket Purchases at this point its pretty much on SD duty with a 0 balance. I've have fallen in love so much with BML 6 months No Interest No Payments, and the fact it doesn't report to the CRA's to effect Util...It has been just a dream, everything from a new living room set, to a 50" Samsung Smart TV, and even planning to use it for 3 new iPhones when the next gen is released.  

The fact that any purchase funneled through Paypal has made even more easy for me to utilize BML since most places are now accepting or starting to accept Paypal for payment. 

BML has become my new "Big Ticket Card".....has anyone else traded one of their CC's for BML?

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: Has BML replaced any CC as your Go To Big Ticket Item Card?

No not yet but its a good idea because its hidden

Message 2 of 25
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

I would never switch to Bill Me Later over a credit card because you don't have the same price protections, warranty,etc. Most prime cards will have huge benefits over BML in this regard. I don't buy things that I can't pay in cash for so I'm not concerned about carrying a balance.

Message 3 of 25
Blackbeauty212
Frequent Contributor

@GatorGuy wrote:

I would never switch to Bill Me Later over a credit card because you don't have the same price protections, warranty,etc. Most prime cards will have huge benefits over BML in this regard. I don't buy things that I can't pay in cash for so I'm not concerned about carrying a balance.

you post comes off as kinda Snobbish! 

1 - The places I use BML offer their own extended warrenties that I have no problem with picking up should I deem it worthy, not to mention a lot of the so called CC warrenties have you jump through so many hoops ( its almost a Gimmick in my book) 

2 - and this is "Snobbish" part......I'm not limited to carrying balances, but having 6 months 0% interest and no reporting, it's an advantage to those like myself that knows how to manage their Credit and their Cash flow..... You never carry a balance GOOD FOR YOU! Pat yourself on the back. 

Message 4 of 25
snowkitty
Established Contributor

I have not really replaced it for another card but I did take advantage of the 6 months 0% interest back at Christmas. It was great to run the balance and not have it showing up anywhere. Cat Very Happy

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 5 of 25
kilj0y
Regular Contributor

I have had no problems with the extended (free) warranty my credit card has given me, I have used it a few times with no problems. 

So for me, I would rather have the free extended warranty vs having to pay for a warranty so I would not consider BML for large purchases.

Message 6 of 25
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Blackbeauty212 wrote:

Nope.  Quite the opposite, actually.  I've replaced BML with big ticket item cards.

@Blackbeauty212 wrote:

@GatorGuy wrote:

You might want to look up the definition of snobbish.  There's nothing snobbish in the post you quoted.  The poster was merely stating preference for the protections and benefits of cards that BML is lacking and preference for not carrying a balance.  A snob holds his/her self in higher regard than others.  If you find the response snobbish it's what you're reading into it.

You asked for people's feedback and everyone's not going to have preferences and needs/wants/etc identical to your own.  I don't carry balances either.  It has nothing to do with snobbery and everything to do with being done with being overburdened with credit card debt.  I've been there, I fought hard to get out from under it and I'm not going back.

Message 7 of 25
Blackbeauty212
Frequent Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

You might want to look up the definition of snobbish.  There's nothing snobbish in the post you quoted.  The poster was merely stating preference for the protections and benefits of cards that BML is lacking and preference for not carrying a balance.  A snob holds his/her self in higher regard than others.  If you find the response snobbish it's what you're reading into it.

You asked for people's feedback and everyone's not going to have preferences and needs/wants/etc identical to your own.  I don't carry balances either.  It has nothing to do with snobbery and everything to do with being done with being overburdened with credit card debt.  I've been there, I fought hard to get out from under it and I'm not going back.

Really - So because someone chooses to take advantage of 0% offers and carries a balance they must be "Overburdened" with Credit Card Debt????...... Again that comes off as Snobbish and Judgemental when you haven't the slightest clue of my finances. I carry a balance because I CHOOSE TO!, I choose to take advantage of my options and offers and manage my finances wisely, has nothing to do with NEEDING too. 

Get it Straight....You pay your balances in Full every month, good for you... But don't think for one minute that makes you somehow better than the next person... That's being a snobb, maybe you should look it up. 

I asked for opinions of BML the service, not of how I manage my finances I do just fine in that department thank you and have been for quite awhile.. 

Message 8 of 25
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Good morning everyone! Lets take a breath and remember its nice to be nice. Opinions will differ and I like a lively debate too but let's remember to be courteous in our replies.

Have a wonderful day!
Message 9 of 25
manwoot
Frequent Contributor

I personally don't use BML because it doesn't give me anything back other than 0% which I have on other cards.  I'd rather get 2-5% back on a purchase (depending on where) than BML. 

But to each their own.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.