cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has Barclay's canned the whole SP CLI's now?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has Barclay's canned the whole SP CLI's now?

I literally called 3 times and 2 different numbers to ask about the APR reduction and SP CLI.    They told me they dont even have a way to "transfer" me to the retentions department UNLESS they see that I'm eligible for an APR reduction.   Since I'm currently at the best I can get, then they wont transfer me.

They also said that the retentions department doesn't deal with the CLI's but yet the 2 times I spoke to them in the past, they told me they do see SP CLI's if they were available.

All 3 CSR's told me in order to get a CLI that they would need to pull a HP of my credit to do it.  It was like they had never even heard of a SP CLI.

This rewards mastercard has little use to me now anyways so I'm thinking it's about time to sock drawer it or close it.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Has Barclay's canned the whole SP CLI's now?

As said on this forum many times front line CSR's don't know much and retentions has powers others don't have.  If you don't have an apr reduction on your account that is being shown on the computer they won't transfer you to retentions..  Typically from my experience my cards are eligible for apr reduction ever 6 months with barclay's and you might or might not get a CLI if you are eligible for an apr reduction, but they very much still offer this.  You just need to qualify for it as well

Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

As said on this forum many times front line CSR's don't know much and retentions has powers others don't have.  If you don't have an apr reduction on your account that is being shown on the computer they won't transfer you to retentions..  Typically from my experience my cards are eligible for apr reduction ever 6 months with barclay's and you might or might not get a CLI if you are eligible for an apr reduction, but they very much still offer this.  You just need to qualify for it as well

2 months ago I qualified for the APR reduction but didn't have a SP CLI at that time.   Lady told me to call back and ask in a month or 2 which I did today.  I didn't know if the retentions department ONLY see the SP CLI's offers or what.  

Apparently CSR's are clueless about the SP CLI's and wasn't sure if there was any other way to check and see.

Message 3 of 22
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

I called front line CSRs on Sunday. Asked for APR reductions. Transferred to CA. Got both Arrival + and Aviator APRs reduced and got 4.5K CLIs via SPs.

No cannin goin on from what I can see Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lhcole77 wrote:

I called front line CSRs on Sunday. Asked for APR reductions. Transferred to CA. Got both Arrival + and Aviator APRs reduced and got 4.5K CLIs via SPs.

No cannin goin on from what I can see Smiley Wink

Well that worked out nicely for you!    Yea apparently unless you are eligible for the APR reduction, you can't get transferred to them.   I was hoping to be able to ask them about the SP CLI no matter if I was eligible for another APR reduction or not.

Message 5 of 22
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@OP

Thanks for your post..  You got me to call on my Hawaiian Airlines CC and just got an APR reduction of only 1%, but also had a SP CLI of 2.5kSmiley Happy.. First asked about apr reduction then asked if I needed anything else asked if I had a SP CLI available which I did, they didn't offer it until I asked.  Still very much exists, was tranferred from CSR assuming to retentions dept.... Went from 8k on it to 10.5k Smiley Happy.

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Never ever mention CLIs to the person answering the phone.  All you say is "I'd like to talk to someoe about reducing my APR'  Once they transfer you, still deal with the APR reduction first and then  bring up the SP CLI.  I've done this 3 times now and never had a problem.

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Never ever mention CLIs to the person answering the phone.  All you say is "I'd like to talk to someoe about reducing my APR'  Once they transfer you, still deal with the APR reduction first and then  bring up the SP CLI.  I've done this 3 times now and never had a problem.

The first time I called I asked about getting an APR reduction.  The lady said I will put in the request etc etc.  I thought she was transferring me to retentions.   Whatever "request" she did came back and said I was not eligible for an APR reduction.   Then I asked could I speak to someone in retentions but she said she could not transfer me because they would tell me the same thing.

Second time they did the same thing but when I asked to speak to retentions department, she said they would see the same thing she was looking at.  I told that person I wanted to talk to the retentions department because I also wanted see if a SP CLI was available.  Once again they would not transfer me.

Maybe it's different for you but when I asked for the APR reduction, the lady did some sort of request instead of transferring me directly to the retentions department like they did a few months back.

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The first time I called I asked about getting an APR reduction.  The lady said I will put in the request etc etc.  I thought she was transferring me to retentions.   Whatever "request" she did came back and said I was not eligible for an APR reduction.   Then I asked could I speak to someone in retentions but she said she could not transfer me because they would tell me the same thing.

Second time they did the same thing but when I asked to speak to retentions department, she said they would see the same thing she was looking at.  I told that person I wanted to talk to the retentions department because I also wanted see if a SP CLI was available.  Once again they would not transfer me.

Maybe it's different for you but when I asked for the APR reduction, the lady did some sort of request instead of transferring me directly to the retentions department like they did a few months back.

Hmmm, maybe it's hit or miss and you just have to hang up and try another person.  What number are you calling?  The one on the back of your card?

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have never tried so I don't know. Instead of closing the account, move the CL to another Barclay card.
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.