cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anybody had recon success with Cap1?

tag
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

Has anybody had recon success with Cap1?

applied for a cap 1 cash reward with AF 39 (for average credit), and was denied. Anybody have recon sucess with Cap1? If so can you please PM me with the number you used. I tried the 9939 number on the backdoor thread sticky. The rep just said, "its all done through the system, there's no way to review it." Which may or may not be true, is why I'm asking this forum for your personal experience. 

thanks

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Has anybody had recon success with Cap1?

Never heard of a capital one recon. They are usually very rigid and by the book. The CSR's can't really go against the system's wishes.

If you are denied for that card they should have counter offered with a secured card.

Message 2 of 15
Happychap
Frequent Contributor

I wouldnt bother.

Message 3 of 15
CreditChampion
Frequent Contributor

Call their credit department and ask to speak to a manager. They will recon your app.
Fico Scores:800+Club

Marvel MC 25K AMEX BCE 18K AMEX Blue Sky 13.6K AMEX BCE 13.5K AMEX Zync
NPSL(AU) Citi Double Cash 14.5K PenFed Plat Rewards 14.5K Citi Forward 10.3k Discover it 9.5K Wells Fargo Cash Back 7.2K BankAmericard Better Balance $700 Chase Freedom $500 Capital One Quicksilver $6K Capital One Platinum (AU) $500 Capital One Secured Card (AU) $251(Closed) PenFed PLOC 14K
PenFed Promise 5K
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was denied for that same card on the same day I was approved for Amex Zync and Chase Freedom (with recon). When I got the letter it said that I hadn't sufficiently paid down my mortgage balance!!??  I decided it was a blessing in disguise. Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 15
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

I'll let you know sometime between Saturday and Monday hopefully. I called yesterday after getting my denial letter (with a triple-pull!) for my Spark Cash app on 3/21. The reasons were either wrong, ridiculous, inaccurate or twisted. I read my entire Transunion report from that day and asked him how that jives with the reasons given and he was speechless. I offered to read him the other two but he just believed me and said there was no need. He said he'd put it in for manual review and added some notes from me to the application. I also added that I was instantly approved the same day for an Amex Plum card with my weakest-score report and that 2 weeks earlier, I was approved for the Chase Ink Cash with the exact same info. Both require very good to excellent credit. So what's the problem??

Of course, CapOne could just simply do what every other issuer does and allow me to speak to an analyst and do a little Q&A. Why CapOne refuses to do this, I have no idea...but it's absolutely ridiculous. I asked if he could contact me directly with any result and he said yes....probably Saturday or Monday. So my fingers are crossed. I'll post the results....

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 6 of 15
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

I was denied for that same card on the same day I was approved for Amex Zync and Chase Freedom (with recon). When I got the letter it said that I hadn't sufficiently paid down my mortgage balance!!??  I decided it was a blessing in disguise. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

HA! I got the exact same reason as one of my denial reasons. I don't even have a mortgage! I was so irate. I went on a screed about how stupid computers are because they lack reasoning and judgement abilities and that relying on that system was just plain silly because it lets a lot of good applicants slip away. I asked him if he thought transaltion services for web pages were 100% reliable or if there's a good chance there's going to be something wildly wrong and stupid in how the software works from time to time....or very often....that will produce laughable translations. He agreed.

You always need qualified human eyes to review things like that. This isn't some high-speed camera/compressed air shooter combo machine observing fruit shooting through a separator to weed out bad fruit at some agribusiness plant (like I've seen on Modern Marvels). This is a combination of facts that often need a human brain to fine tune the assessment of the info. 

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ztnjpv..... ah....but those human brains are in short supply in corporate America!!. lol....and I'm a part of it! Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 15
LS2982
Mega Contributor

AFAIK Cap1 does not do recons.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 15
CreditChampion
Frequent Contributor

@LS Yeah they do I just did one the other daySmiley Happy

Fico Scores:800+Club

Marvel MC 25K AMEX BCE 18K AMEX Blue Sky 13.6K AMEX BCE 13.5K AMEX Zync
NPSL(AU) Citi Double Cash 14.5K PenFed Plat Rewards 14.5K Citi Forward 10.3k Discover it 9.5K Wells Fargo Cash Back 7.2K BankAmericard Better Balance $700 Chase Freedom $500 Capital One Quicksilver $6K Capital One Platinum (AU) $500 Capital One Secured Card (AU) $251(Closed) PenFed PLOC 14K
PenFed Promise 5K
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.