cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone NOT in credit steps ever received a CLI from Capital One?

tag
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

Re: Has anyone NOT in credit steps ever received a CLI from Capital One?

@SnackTrader wrote:

Calling the Executive Office also doesn't count. My 6th statement just cut yesterday, and I am not in credit steps. My CL is $3,000 and I have the "Jimmy Fallon Green Card", otherwise known as the Cash Rewards card for excellent credit. I am wondering if it is worth it to call and ask for a CLI before I go on my upcoming Amex/Chase/Citi app spree. 

Also - I do not want an HP. Anyone with information on the type of pull it might be? Past forum posts have claimed soft pull...

Thanks for the help!

Lucky you. I got the Green Cash Rewards with 2k CL, I'm in credit steps program and it only said 500...

So, 2.5K CL total next month? LOWEST CARD!!!! I'm probably not going to see CLI again.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 11 of 31
kc12286
Frequent Contributor

I have and I've never been in credit steps.

I've had my card since 04 with an initial limit of $400, and asked for a CLI when I was young and inexperienced, was rightly denied. But I eventually saw an increase to $650 (I think). Then sometime around Christmas 2010, I think, I saw an increase to 2150. SO YES it's possible to get a CLI with them, it just takes a lot of patience. Smiley Very Happy

In the Garden Club since: 07/05/2017

6/9/2008-TransUnion-703
6/9/2008-Equifax-712
6/9/2008 Experian-635

2/16/2011 Transunion - 675
3/11/2011 Equifax - 688
5/13/2011 Equifax - 704
5/28/2011 Equifax - 704
5/28/2011 Transunion - 724
Message 12 of 31
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

@kc12286 wrote:

I have and I've never been in credit steps.

I've had my card since 04 with an initial limit of $400, and asked for a CLI when I was young and inexperienced, was rightly denied. But I eventually saw an increase to $650 (I think). Then sometime around Christmas 2010, I think, I saw an increase to 2150. SO YES it's possible to get a CLI with them, it just takes a lot of patience. Smiley Very Happy

Awesome!

I don't expect to close this card since it is my first revolver so I have nothing but time. 

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 13 of 31
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@SnackTrader wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@nicholasyud wrote:

$3000 credit limit is very good start with CrappyOne compare to others had very low credit limit.......I mean they know for stinky with limit and already start with you for 3k.......

I would like to go for some bigger bank other than wait for cap throw u some bone...........cuzz they wont' most of the time....

OP has the cap1 cash rewards VISA (excellent credit) card. The starting limit for this card is $3,000. Most people who start out with the $200-$500 limits are on the rebuilder cards. 

OP: You have one of their "prime" cards so it wouldn't hurt to ask for a CLI. Chances of being approved are probably...slightly higher than the rest of us with the credit steps/(re)builder cards. Hopefully you'll be able to get up to 5k sometime soon so you get the visa sig NPSL benefit. 

Believe it or not, I have a MasterCard version. 

Statement officially cut this morning and no CLI on the account. Just as I expected Smiley Sad

All I have left is the chance for approvals on other cards this week. I may call regular customer service at some point, but I won't call the Exec Office. I have only had my card for 6 months, and although I have put over $14,000 on the card in that time, I do not feel entitled to any special treatment at this point. They already gave me a huge opportunity with such a large starting line. 

Thanks for the help guys. If I do get an auto CLI, it looks like I may be the first to get one on this forum on an unsecured Cap1 card not in credit steps. 

AFAIK the mastercard version is the average credit version, so I don't think you have the excellent one. lol. Was the same way 6 months ago (I also got mine 6 months ago btw. Smiley Very Happy

Message 14 of 31
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@SnackTrader wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@nicholasyud wrote:

$3000 credit limit is very good start with CrappyOne compare to others had very low credit limit.......I mean they know for stinky with limit and already start with you for 3k.......

I would like to go for some bigger bank other than wait for cap throw u some bone...........cuzz they wont' most of the time....

OP has the cap1 cash rewards VISA (excellent credit) card. The starting limit for this card is $3,000. Most people who start out with the $200-$500 limits are on the rebuilder cards. 

OP: You have one of their "prime" cards so it wouldn't hurt to ask for a CLI. Chances of being approved are probably...slightly higher than the rest of us with the credit steps/(re)builder cards. Hopefully you'll be able to get up to 5k sometime soon so you get the visa sig NPSL benefit. 

Statement officially cut this morning and no CLI on the account. Just as I expected Smiley Sad

All I have left is the chance for approvals on other cards this week. I may call regular customer service at some point, but I won't call the Exec Office. I have only had my card for 6 months, and although I have put over $14,000 on the card in that time, I do not feel entitled to any special treatment at this point. They already gave me a huge opportunity with such a large starting line. 

Thanks for the help guys. If I do get an auto CLI, it looks like I may be the first to get one on this forum on an unsecured Cap1 card not in credit steps. 

AFAIK the mastercard version is the average credit version, so I don't think you have the excellent one. lol. Was the same way 6 months ago (I also got mine 6 months ago btw. Smiley Very Happy

When I asked about my credit limit before I received the card I was told that my limit would be somewhere between $3000 and $5000. I ended up with $3000, so I always assumed I have the excellent credit version. Plus, no credit steps, no AF...I guess there are always exceptions to the rules. 

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Message 15 of 31
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@SnackTrader wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@SnackTrader wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@nicholasyud wrote:

When I asked about my credit limit before I received the card I was told that my limit would be somewhere between $3000 and $5000. I ended up with $3000, so I always assumed I have the excellent credit version. Plus, no credit steps, no AF...I guess there are always exceptions to the rules. 

They started me with a 3k limit on the average (mastercard version) but I was put in credit steps. I initially had the plat MC, no AF, and they PCd me to cash rewards. 

Message 16 of 31

I have the green Capital One as well (MC version). I got it 9 months ago with a CL of $500. I was in credit steps and they said that after 1 year they would increase the CL to $750. About 4 months ago they automatically increased my CL to $3,500.

CAPITAL ONE WORLD MC $6,500 / DISCOVER IT $1,500 / CITI DIAMOND PREFERRED MC $1,900 / CHASE SLATE $3,000 / CHASE MARRIOTT SIGNATURE VISA $5,000

Current Scores:

Equifax = 729
Experian = 726
TransUnion = 741
Message 17 of 31
rudy0720
Regular Contributor

I have had two Capital One cards for 7 years. I have had one CLI on both during that time and not on credit steps. Current limits are $2500 and $1500

Citi Thank You Premier Visa Signature-$9K, Citi Thank You Preferred Vis Signature-$8.3K, Citi AA Signature- 8.5K, Citi Simplicity 9.2K, Citi Diamond-6.1K, Lowes-$10K, Chase Sapphire Preferred- $ 5K, AMEX BCE $14.5K, AMEX Starwood Preferred $15K, ,AMEX Everyday-$5K, Fidelity Amex-$10K, US Bank 123 rewards Kroger-$17K, Penfed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature-$30K, Amex Delta-$10K, Barclay Arrival Plus- $10K, Penfed Travel Rewards Amex-$10K, Bank of America Cash Rewards- $14K
Message 18 of 31
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Based on what I'm seeing here and from other threads on the forum I will have a chance for this CLI in the next few years. Smiley Tongue

Thanks for sharing guys, keep 'em coming!

Message 19 of 31
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

You should just call customer service and ask, and then report back.  The overwhelming majority of posts here about Capital One's CLI policies all relate to their policies on rebuilder products.  There's almost no evidence of what they do for other products.  And the anti Cap One sentiment makes it virtually impossible to start a thread on the topic and not have it filled with people who can't resist posting negative comments based on their experience with the rebuilder cards.

I can recall a post quite a while back (2 years?) from someone with one of the upper tier products (Venture IIRC) where the person reported receiving a CLI when the consensus was that Capital One did not offer customer initiated CLIs. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 20 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.