cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone NOT in credit steps ever received a CLI from Capital One?

tag
p-
Valued Contributor

Re: Has anyone NOT in credit steps ever received a CLI from Capital One?

@Walt_K wrote:

You should just call customer service and ask, and then report back.  The overwhelming majority of posts here about Capital One's CLI policies all relate to their policies on rebuilder products.  There's almost no evidence of what they do for other products.  And the anti Cap One sentiment makes it virtually impossible to start a thread on the topic and not have it filled with people who can't resist posting negative comments based on their experience with the rebuilder cards. 

+1 

You never get if you don't ask...  My credit steps card performed as promised, and when I outgrew it, they changed it to a big boy card.  But only because I asked.

Message 21 of 31
bs6054
Valued Contributor

It would be nice if Cap One upped their "big boy" card to match the PriceLine Visa 2% (without having to wait for the annual bonus).  Problem is telling Cap One that you will switch to Priceline unless they change, will generate "OK, I will close your card!".

Message 22 of 31
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

It would be nice if Cap One upped their "big boy" card to match the PriceLine Visa 2% (without having to wait for the annual bonus).  Problem is telling Cap One that you will switch to Priceline unless they change, will generate "OK, I will close your card!".

From what I can see the priceline visa earns a flat 1% on everything, and 5% on priceline purchases. 

https://www.pricelinevisa.com/apply/Landing.action?campaignId=1304&cellNumber=64

The venture earns 2% back, but you earn cash that can be redeemed for travel as opposed to actual miles, and it has a $59 AF. 

Message 23 of 31
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Different versions:

https://www.juniper.com/apply/LegacyLanding.action?landPage=28161&referrerid=0000000000&obcreative=0...

2% on everything, 5% on some price line transactions
Message 24 of 31
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:
Different versions:

https://www.juniper.com/apply/LegacyLanding.action?landPage=28161&referrerid=0000000000&obcreative=0...

2% on everything, 5% on some price line transactions

Thats so weird, aren't juniper and barclays the same company? I hate when companies do crap like that. lol. 

Message 25 of 31
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@SnackTrader wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@nicholasyud wrote:

$3000 credit limit is very good start with CrappyOne compare to others had very low credit limit.......I mean they know for stinky with limit and already start with you for 3k.......

I would like to go for some bigger bank other than wait for cap throw u some bone...........cuzz they wont' most of the time....

OP has the cap1 cash rewards VISA (excellent credit) card. The starting limit for this card is $3,000. Most people who start out with the $200-$500 limits are on the rebuilder cards. 

OP: You have one of their "prime" cards so it wouldn't hurt to ask for a CLI. Chances of being approved are probably...slightly higher than the rest of us with the credit steps/(re)builder cards. Hopefully you'll be able to get up to 5k sometime soon so you get the visa sig NPSL benefit. 

Believe it or not, I have a MasterCard version. 

Statement officially cut this morning and no CLI on the account. Just as I expected Smiley Sad

All I have left is the chance for approvals on other cards this week. I may call regular customer service at some point, but I won't call the Exec Office. I have only had my card for 6 months, and although I have put over $14,000 on the card in that time, I do not feel entitled to any special treatment at this point. They already gave me a huge opportunity with such a large starting line. 

Thanks for the help guys. If I do get an auto CLI, it looks like I may be the first to get one on this forum on an unsecured Cap1 card not in credit steps. 

I am not in their "credit steps" program and have not had any negative experiences with Capital One.  That being said, it appears from what I have encountered and read (based on never-ending Capital One posts on these forums, etc.) most folks experience an uphill battle compounded by frustration (and the abused EO assistance channel) if their current products are geared toward the less-than-perfect credit profiles and do not either get a CLI or a product conversion/release (i.e. secured or "credit steps").  Unfortunately, their lending and underwriting criteria for some of these products are at best trivial and will vary by individual, relationship and credit profile.

As far as their products, I have had two since 2005 and 2007 respectively (starting limits on both were $5K).  Currently, both are World MC versions with combined limits of $15K.  CLIs on both of these have been automatic yet sporadic in the last seven years but they do happen.  Then again, I never have had the need to contact them for a CLI or even the EO.  Additionaly, the first card was automatically upgraded (via online solicitation) to the Blue Venture product during 2011 and the second one was recently upgraded (via email solicitation) to the Cash Rewards (Green) card this year.  A family member has their Venture Visa Signature (upgraded in 2011) with a $22K limit and has had their credit card before the Signet Bank acquisition by Capital One. 

Message 26 of 31
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Don't know if the Journey card counts as steps (don't think it does) but my daughter got an auto-CLI from $2K to $3k after about a year.

I haven't got an increase on either of my cards since I got them ($15K card in 1999, $30K card in 2004) but I never asked for one.  But the same is true for my Chase and Citi cards that I've had for several years.

In fact, I don't think I ever got an auto-CLI on any credit card in the last many years  until Barclays, which gave me a very low credit line, gave me an auto-CLI last month.

Message 27 of 31
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I took the advice and called for a CLI tonight.  I asked the rep (based out of Virginia, in case anyone cares) what the process was.  He informed me he would check for special offers, and if there were none that he would put in a request and see if I get an automatic approval.  I said go for it.  I did not have any offers, and the request came back without an automatic approval (which means decline, but the rep wouldn't go that far, he stated it would go for manual review and I would receive a letter in 7 days). So no CLI for this guy today.

Stay tuned though.  My EX report updated with my December Capital One payment so I am down to 2% Utilization and 6 months reporting.  I am going to go pull my EQ FICO score and try for an Amex BCP tonight.

Wish me luck!

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 28 of 31
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

@SnackTrader wrote:

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I took the advice and called for a CLI tonight.  I asked the rep (based out of Virginia, in case anyone cares) what the process was.  He informed me he would check for special offers, and if there were none that he would put in a request and see if I get an automatic approval.  I said go for it.  I did not have any offers, and the request came back without an automatic approval (which means decline, but the rep wouldn't go that far, he stated it would go for manual review and I would receive a letter in 7 days). So no CLI for this guy today.

Stay tuned though.  My EX report updated with my December Capital One payment so I am down to 2% Utilization and 6 months reporting.  I am going to go pull my EQ FICO score and try for an Amex BCP tonight.

Wish me luck!

Goodluck Snack....

Keep in mind that its be better to apps for it only if you not a current amex member.

If you do then wait till Jan 2013 for more backdate history..........

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 29 of 31
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Thanks, Nicholas.

I am not currently an Amex customer.  Capital One is my only card, hopefully not for long.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.