cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone applied for a secured card and regretted it?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone applied for a secured card and regretted it?

I'm thinking about accepting BofA secured Visa 99.00 for 500.00. It's not a high limit, but it's with a bank. 

Have you applied for secured cards and later not use it, only to cancel the card? Or do you still have them?

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Has anyone applied for a secured card and regretted it?

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm thinking about accepting BofA secured Visa 99.00 for 500.00. It's not a high limit, but it's with a bank. 

Have you applied for secured cards and later not use it, only to cancel the card? Or do you still have them?

If you need it to build up your credit do it. Although mid 600s should get you an unsecured card. What does the rest of your report look like?

Message 2 of 20
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes. 2 years ago. apped the TD bank easy rewards. 500 limit. should graduate in 6 months. after a year. i realized it was useless. the rewards were garbage. i canceled it in branch. and manager said ooh we helped you get other cards like amex and discover. i said you did not help with anything. this card was useless. no thanks.

Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@taxi818 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes. 2 years ago. apped the TD bank easy rewards. 500 limit. should graduate in 6 months. after a year. i realized it was useless. the rewards were garbage. i canceled it in branch. and manager said ooh we helped you get other cards like amex and discover. i said you did not help with anything. this card was useless. no thanks.

Secured cards aren't meant to be good. Even if they graduate they are usually subpar no matter the lender. They are there only to rebuild/start credit then you move on.

Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If you need it to build up your credit do it. Although mid 600s should get you an unsecured card. What does the rest of your report look like?

This is going sound wierd and you're probably going to wonder why. I have an Amex Blue cash 5K, Chase Visa Disney 2k,  and Chase Freedom 3k, Capitol One 300.00.  I just thought because it's with Bank of america it might be worth it. 

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think both your comments answered my question. I don't think it'll be worth it. It keeps bugging me everytime I log into my account. Thank you friends! Smiley Very Happy 

Message 6 of 20
taxi818
Super Contributor

Well. actually the boa card will graduate and is a good card. you are only putting 99 dollars in the game. if they offered me that. i would go for it. just to have relationship with boa. and knowing 2 years down the road. their good cards will come your way so much easier. too bad. i cant stand boa. no thanks.

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This is going sound wierd and you're probably going to wonder why. I have an Amex Blue cash 5K, Chase Visa Disney 2k,  and Chase Freedom 3k, Capitol One 300.00.  I just thought because it's with Bank of america it might be worth it. 

Okay I'll put it this way. Don't get it lol. You are already past the need for a secured card. If you can't get an unsecured BOA yet just wait until you can. That's just my advice Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@taxi818 wrote:

Well. actually the boa card will graduate and is a good card. you are only putting 99 dollars in the game. if they offered me that. i would go for it. just to have relationship with boa. and knowing 2 years down the road. their good cards will come your way so much easier. too bad. i cant stand boa. no thanks.

Thanks for sharing. Do you not like their customer service? I think a lot of people don't like them. 
I have been with them since I was 17 years old as a bank customer. Not that it matters. lol

Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll do that. If not, there's always Citi bank who I would love to get a card from in a couple of years! 

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.