cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone else encountered absurdly high initial limits from AMEX (relative to your credit)?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone else encountered absurdly high initial limits from AMEX (relative to your credit)?

Last year (with good credit history, but still a student) I applied for the Amex Delta Gold card to take advantage of their promotion at the time for 40K miles. My total credit before applying to that card was probably about 5-6k and I had a 700/850 FAKO score. For some reason they gave me a starting limit of $9500 on the card. I thought that seemed a little odd, but it wasn't until reading about other people getting the same card with a starting limit of $1000 that it made me really question it. By doing that they also made it so that if I were to close that card at any point (it does have a yearly cost) it would absolutely decimate my available credit.

Anyone experienced anything similar?

Edit: Should I ever consider 3x CLI'ing it?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
signaturecardmember
Frequent Contributor

Re: Has anyone else encountered absurdly high initial limits from AMEX (relative to your credit)?

When I applied with mine I only had $6k in credit also and it was a very old account but with high utilization (in my sig) yes I did I apply to AMEX after Chase but they were all on the same day. I was only approved for $2k and it wasnt bad considering the 3x CLI however I missed that also, did it right after another app spree before the new lines were reporting so yeah, things didnt look nearly as good as htey are.

Congratulations to you though Smiley Happy Some say anything with a single AMEX line over $25k has the potential to trigger proof of income requirements etc others have not had any additional information requested from them. I am not sure how comfortable/willing you are to have to share your information with them so keep that in mind. However, I would def app for at least the $25k when its CLI time and see what they say.

Started: 4/14 Bank of America Signature $6k, 85% Utilization, 745 Fako
Currently: 6/18 Bank of America Signature $99.9k, Chase Slate $0, Chase Freedom Signature $2.5k, American Express Gold NSL, American Express Everyday $6k, Lowes GE $0 (From $35k), Discover IT $38.5k, Capital One Quicksilver $5k, Barclays US Airways $24k, DCU Platinum $30k, PenFed Promise $47k, Chase Freedom Unlimited Signature (From CSP) $50k, Chase AARP Signature $7.5k, American Express Blue Cash $7.5k, Citi American Airlines Platinum $10.5k, Capital One Venture Signature $30k, Chase Sapphire Preferred (From Reserve) $12k, Chase Ink Business Preferred $10k, Barclays Aviator Business $14k. Total Available Credit: Over $350k, Utilization 4%, AAoA 7 Years, TU Fico 799, EX Fico 727
Message 2 of 8
peepers
Frequent Contributor

Re: Has anyone else encountered absurdly high initial limits from AMEX (relative to your credit)?

I will never understand AMEX.....on the opposite, I feel my credit profile and utilization look pretty good and I was approved for a BCP 2 weeks ago with a $2,000 initial limit.  Then 3 days later they approved me for their Everday card with a $15,000 limit!  If the $15,000 would have been first, then they were conservative with 2nd app, that would make more sense.  *scratches head*

My AAoA is 9 years too, so its not like I had a thin file. 

AMEX Green charge NPSL | NFCU Cashrewards Visa Sig $25,000 | NFCU Navcheck $15,000 | AMEX Everyday $15,000 | Discover IT $19,000 | Amex BCP $18,000 | Cap1 Quicksilver $5000 | Firestone $2,400 I Amex Oasis Optima (recovery card) $500 (closed July 2014)
MyFICO: TU 780, EQ 785 EX 776 Discover TU FICO 780. Rebuilt from 500's....closed on home May 2015!

Message 3 of 8
CelticLady
Regular Contributor

When I was approved for my BCP they gave me $9100. At the time I had Cap1 at $7200 (just reported that increase the day I apped) and Barclay at $6900. for my 61 day increase they only gave me $100. $9200 is 40% of my income. I don't expect another increase until I get a raise but we'll see in 4 months.

Wells Fargo Propel / AMEX BCE / Cap1 QS WMC / Chase Freedom / Cap1 QS / Discover it / Cap1 QSO / Chase Amazon Visa / PayPal CBMC /
Message 4 of 8
revvystoke
Frequent Contributor

I am sure the card companies algorithms assign credit limits to consumers based on location, credit score, age etc. and use those data points to assign risk and potential profit when assigning credit lines. For me, AMEX was middle of the group, for others it was higher, and the opposite is true for the rest.

I am willing to venture and say, for most consumers their requests for credit are only processed through automated systems, and the select few who talk to credit analysts either have knowledge of the system or require more information for their application.

I am sure buried in the info that CCC's gather, are factors that show a consumer's useage of their accounts and the corresponding credit lines assigned, and that can probably factor in as well.  

AkAir $50k | Marriott $65k | Local CU $8k
TU: 770 / EQ: 748 / EX: 769
Message 5 of 8
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

when you have a 700+ EX score and good income its not unusual to have them match or even exceed your highest CL on prime cards, they are trying to impress you, and get them to use there card more than competitors. I had a 720 when I applied for my first AMEX revolver and recv'd  7.5k my highest at the time. and continue with most of my CLI request all the way up to 15k CL.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 6 of 8
TatorTodd
Regular Contributor

Mine is opposite, my main credit cards are at 25k, and 22k limits, i have good score and good income, and they approved me for a $2500 limit.....? I was very confused. 

NCFU Flagship(80k) DC Elite (40k) Cash Sapphire Preferred(38k) DC Premier (30k) NFCU CashRewards (25k) USAA Amex (22k) USAA MasterCard (16k) Barclay Arrival+ Elite (15k) Nordstrom (15k) BofA Rewards (12.5k) 4 Amices (50k)

As of 10/13/14
Experian: 787 - EquiFax: 798 - TU: 789
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Last year (with good credit history, but still a student) I applied for the Amex Delta Gold card to take advantage of their promotion at the time for 40K miles. My total credit before applying to that card was probably about 5-6k and I had a 700/850 FAKO score. For some reason they gave me a starting limit of $9500 on the card. I thought that seemed a little odd, but it wasn't until reading about other people getting the same card with a starting limit of $1000 that it made me really question it. By doing that they also made it so that if I were to close that card at any point (it does have a yearly cost) it would absolutely decimate my available credit.

Anyone experienced anything similar?

Edit: Should I ever consider 3x CLI'ing it?

@Anonymous - LOL!!! My BCE @ $7500... My 3rd card app'd for within a 10 day period... I had no CC's prior, since 2002... I have no complaints, VERY grateful!!!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.