cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone ever NOT gone for a second Amex 3xCLI?

tag
RushXTC
Established Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever NOT gone for a second Amex 3xCLI?

@RnJ wrote:

Not the first 61-day 3xCLI but rather the second (180 days after).  My first CLI took me to a reasonably high limit and combined with the rest of the limits on other cards, I'm concerned it might cause my creditors to take a second look.  Credit to income ratio is looking good right now, but a 3x approval would take it over the top.  Has anyone sat on their last CLI for that reason or what are some of the reasons you didn't? 

It's debt to income you're supposed to be worried about, Not Credit to income ratio (If that's even a thing).

Message 11 of 25
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@enharu wrote:
The only other revolver that really interests me is the SPG. Was sorta considering the Hilton too but the citi version seems superior. Only reason I haven't applied for the SPG is because the card does charge FTF. Its kinda pointless for me to use that card at international SPG locations simply because the FTF wipes out most, if not all, of the rewards.

So I'm still debating about it in a way.

I think I'm going for the Blue in Jan, just to get the backdating (to 1987) so I don't care what the card does, so long as there is no annual fee!  The website seems to think I have the BS as well as the BCP  (I converted my BS to BCP in Feb 2012) so not sure I could get that..

Message 12 of 25
RnJ
Contributor

Thanks for the responses, it pretty much confirms my thoughts.  I was fortunate with a high initial limit and feel it's not necessary to request it again, but realize many are not.

RushXTC,  what I was referring to -  the amount of credit extended you in relation to your annual income. My DTI is extremely low, not worried there.

Message 13 of 25
noobody
Established Contributor

my initial BCE CL is almost 20k, CSP is my main driver now, if anything, i want to CLD it to 8-10k since i read somewhere, the TOTAL revolver CL with amex cap at 34.5k
EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 14 of 25
dollar_bill
Regular Contributor

I think you would need to ask yourself what your futures plans are if you are worried about a lot of available credit in relation to income. I'm not sure what the point is where potential lenders stop and say... wow, this guy has a ton of available credit maybe we should reconsider.  If you are in this category, what's the rush to get a higher limit? Obviously you have a profile in which gaining credit is fairly simple, so you have that luxury. Adding credit for the sake of adding credit could put you in a bind down the road if you want to do something else (I guess?).

Message 15 of 25
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@RushXTC wrote:

@RnJ wrote:

Not the first 61-day 3xCLI but rather the second (180 days after).  My first CLI took me to a reasonably high limit and combined with the rest of the limits on other cards, I'm concerned it might cause my creditors to take a second look.  Credit to income ratio is looking good right now, but a 3x approval would take it over the top.  Has anyone sat on their last CLI for that reason or what are some of the reasons you didn't? 

It's debt to income you're supposed to be worried about, Not Credit to income ratio (If that's even a thing).

Grin, except Credit to Income can quickly turn into Debt to Income if the consumer so chooses.  That makes lenders leery, so it's reasonable for them to evaluate your aggregate credit as to whether they risk over-exposure.

        
Message 16 of 25
RnJ
Contributor

I'm in no rush for a CLI, and do not plan on asking for it.  That said, anything could happen in the future and the cushion is a nice thought (the current cushion, not an additional CLI cushion that is). 

Message 17 of 25
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@RnJ wrote:

Has anyone sat on their last CLI for that reason or what are some of the reasons you didn't? 

I hit $25K with the first CLI.

Message 18 of 25
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

I came up to the conclusion that I rather request 2x CLI on the 61 day mark and then the 2nd to 25K. This made more sense to me as when my first CLI came up I did not have a 5 digit card and I did not feel comfortable to ask for 15K at that stage..Smiley Happy
Message 19 of 25
leoment
Frequent Contributor

I've only requested one CLI for my BCP - at the 61 day mark. I went for (and was approved for) 3x from 2k->6k.  In September, right around thee 6-month mark got an auto CLI to $7k, where I've been since.

I'm going to wait to get my util down before I request another CLI from Amex.

800+ across all three (via FAKOs) has been achieved! Current goal - Get down to 6 cards in total - sitting with 8 currently.
Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.