Reply
Contributor
Posts: 180
Registered: ‎08-18-2012
0

Has anyone ever NOT gone for a second Amex 3xCLI?

Not the first 61-day 3xCLI but rather the second (180 days after).  My first CLI took me to a reasonably high limit and combined with the rest of the limits on other cards, I'm concerned it might cause my creditors to take a second look.  Credit to income ratio is looking good right now, but a 3x approval would take it over the top.  Has anyone sat on their last CLI for that reason or what are some of the reasons you didn't? 

Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,568
Registered: ‎11-10-2012
0

Re: Has anyone ever NOT gone for a second Amex 3xCLI?


RnJ wrote:

Not the first 61-day 3xCLI but rather the second (180 days after).  My first CLI took me to a reasonably high limit and combined with the rest of the limits on other cards, I'm concerned it might cause my creditors to take a second look.  Credit to income ratio is looking good right now, but a 3x approval would take it over the top.  Has anyone sat on their last CLI for that reason or what are some of the reasons you didn't? 


I'm at $20K, so I will definitely not be doing any more 3x CLI's...lol! I think I'm fine with that CL with AmEx. I'll work on the CSP, though.

 photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpsfp2spvpa.jpg
New Contributor
Posts: 68
Registered: ‎07-25-2013
0

Re: Has anyone ever NOT gone for a second Amex 3xCLI?

I'm sure some will respond that they chose not to go for the full 3x the 2nd time. I'm guessing mostly they will be people who started w fairly high limits.... It seems like there is a fear by a lot of people to request over the 25k mark, because it is possible at the higher limit requests that Amex would request tax information from you.
Starting Score (July 2013) Exp 665 Equ 658 TU 660
Current Score (Feb 2015) Exp: ??? Equ: 765 TU: 776


Amex BCE ($12,000) Discover It ($7,400) Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2,250) Cap1 Platinum ($4,500) Express Next ($1,450)
Senior Contributor
Posts: 3,067
Registered: ‎11-02-2009
0

Re: Has anyone ever NOT gone for a second Amex 3xCLI?

I got a fairly nice initial limit with Amex, so I didn't do a first 3x CLI.  I don't need any additional credit from them right now.  If that changed, I'd ask them to raise my limits again.


Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,485
Registered: ‎08-30-2011
0

Re: Has anyone ever NOT gone for a second Amex 3xCLI?

[ Edited ]

I've never asked for the mythical 3X CLI.  I've never felt the NEED for it and AMEX started me off rather handsomely with my first CL. 

 

3XCLI may serve a purpose for low starting CL, but they should never be expected or taken for granted.  Unfortunately, that's not always the case.   I'm perfectly happy with the CL that I'm at, I really don't NEED more, hence "sitting" on the limit that I have. 

Diners Club Premier MasterCard $50K / AMEX Gold NPSL / AMEX Zync NPSL / AMEX Blue Cash Preferred $14K / Bank of America Cash Rewards Signature Visa $15K / Merrill Lynch Plus Signature Visa $15K / Wells Fargo Propel 365 $15K / Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa $10K / J P Morgan Select Signature Visa $10.5K / CITI Diamond Preferred MasterCard $13.2K / Discover IT $10.5K / IberiaBank Select Visa $8K / 1st Command Bank Platinum Visa $7.5K // Home Depot $9.7K / Lowes $10K

EX = 818 EQ = 822 TU = 830 - 01/2015
Super Contributor
Posts: 7,132
Registered: ‎02-27-2013
0

Re: Has anyone ever NOT gone for a second Amex 3xCLI?

I haven't tried the 3x CLI either. I'm planning to get another Amex revolver in jan and will try to request for a 3x CLI on that card then.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,485
Registered: ‎08-30-2011
0

Re: Has anyone ever NOT gone for a second Amex 3xCLI?

[ Edited ]

@enharu - Getting a new revolver is a good idea! 

 

I've also given that some thought, since I have the recently departed Clear/Phantom card.  And another revolver would do wonders for my AAofA, backdated to 1991.

 

What revolver were you thinking about?

Diners Club Premier MasterCard $50K / AMEX Gold NPSL / AMEX Zync NPSL / AMEX Blue Cash Preferred $14K / Bank of America Cash Rewards Signature Visa $15K / Merrill Lynch Plus Signature Visa $15K / Wells Fargo Propel 365 $15K / Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa $10K / J P Morgan Select Signature Visa $10.5K / CITI Diamond Preferred MasterCard $13.2K / Discover IT $10.5K / IberiaBank Select Visa $8K / 1st Command Bank Platinum Visa $7.5K // Home Depot $9.7K / Lowes $10K

EX = 818 EQ = 822 TU = 830 - 01/2015
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 11,955
Registered: ‎12-30-2011
0

Re: Has anyone ever NOT gone for a second Amex 3xCLI?


thom02099 wrote:

I've never asked for the mythical 3X CLI.  I've never felt the NEED for it and AMEX started me off rather handsomely with my first CL. 

 

3XCLI may serve a purpose for low starting CL, but they should never be expected or taken for granted.  Unfortunately, that's not always the case.   I'm perfectly happy with the CL that I'm at, I really don't NEED more, hence "sitting" on the limit that I have. 


You're not the average credit consumer thom Smiley Happy.

 

While I agree the 3X CLI should never be assumed, nor presumed, nor expected, nor taken for granted, for anyone who is trying to build a credit file out of a no-file, thin-file, or mixed-file situation, should certainly consisder an Amex revolver not only for the quality tradeline, but exactly for the Amex shortcut to higher credit limits.

 

It may not work, but it can and has for the majority of people who frequent this forum anecdotally.  That's certainly true if one's income and spending is above your current limits: Amex can be fantastic as a shortcut in that scenario.

 

My theory anyway.

Starting Score: EQ 04 561, TU 98 567, EX 98 599 (12/30/11)
Current Score: EQ 04 700, TU 04 731, EX 98 725 (05/24/15)
Goal Score: 700 on EQ 04 (01/01/16)


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Super Contributor
Posts: 7,132
Registered: ‎02-27-2013
0

Re: Has anyone ever NOT gone for a second Amex 3xCLI?

The only other revolver that really interests me is the SPG. Was sorta considering the Hilton too but the citi version seems superior. Only reason I haven't applied for the SPG is because the card does charge FTF. Its kinda pointless for me to use that card at international SPG locations simply because the FTF wipes out most, if not all, of the rewards.

So I'm still debating about it in a way.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,485
Registered: ‎08-30-2011
0

Re: Has anyone ever NOT gone for a second Amex 3xCLI?


Revelate wrote:

thom02099 wrote:

I've never asked for the mythical 3X CLI.  I've never felt the NEED for it and AMEX started me off rather handsomely with my first CL. 

 

3XCLI may serve a purpose for low starting CL, but they should never be expected or taken for granted.  Unfortunately, that's not always the case.   I'm perfectly happy with the CL that I'm at, I really don't NEED more, hence "sitting" on the limit that I have. 


You're not the average credit consumer thom Smiley Happy.

 

While I agree the 3X CLI should never be assumed, nor presumed, nor expected, nor taken for granted, for anyone who is trying to build a credit file out of a no-file, thin-file, or mixed-file situation, should certainly consisder an Amex revolver not only for the quality tradeline, but exactly for the Amex shortcut to higher credit limits.

 

It may not work, but it can and has for the majority of people who frequent this forum anecdotally.  That's certainly true if one's income and spending is above your current limits: Amex can be fantastic as a shortcut in that scenario.

 

My theory anyway.


We're in complete agreement that for those with the file limits you detailed, AMEX is certainly the consideration for maximum credit growth in minimal time.  I sure don't dispute that the 3XCLI are worthwhile. 

Yes, you're right -- I'm not the average credit consumer.  While the 3XCLI is attractive and beneficial for some, it's just not a necessity for me and I'm happily sitting at my current limit.  Will that change in the future?  Maybe!  If I were to also look at another revolver, then my point of view may change, depending on where AMEX starts me on another revolver.  But if they match where I am?  Then I'd be a happy camper and NOT go for a 3XCLI. 

Diners Club Premier MasterCard $50K / AMEX Gold NPSL / AMEX Zync NPSL / AMEX Blue Cash Preferred $14K / Bank of America Cash Rewards Signature Visa $15K / Merrill Lynch Plus Signature Visa $15K / Wells Fargo Propel 365 $15K / Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa $10K / J P Morgan Select Signature Visa $10.5K / CITI Diamond Preferred MasterCard $13.2K / Discover IT $10.5K / IberiaBank Select Visa $8K / 1st Command Bank Platinum Visa $7.5K // Home Depot $9.7K / Lowes $10K

EX = 818 EQ = 822 TU = 830 - 01/2015
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.