cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone experienced Adverse Action / CLD's / Acct Closures from a Credit Union Card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone experienced Adverse Action / CLD's / Acct Closures from a Credit Union Card?

Whether its too many new accounts, or too many inquiries, too high % of debt...

Lots of stories of AA from major banks like Citi, Chase etc etc.

But has anyone had AA from CU Cards? Ex: Digital, Penfed, Alliant, Navy etc etc.....

And if so, what was the reason?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Has anyone experienced Adverse Action / CLD's / Acct Closures from a Credit Union Card?

Its been reported that PenFed reduced the limits to some members CL.  I'm not sure how long ago it been. 
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Has anyone experienced Adverse Action / CLD's / Acct Closures from a Credit Union Card?

@DI wrote:
Its been reported that PenFed reduced the limits to some members CL.  I'm not sure how long ago it been. 

I had interesting conversation with loan officer from a credit union.  He indicated adverse action by a credit union, in most cases, is a result of mishandling of your credit union account.  He stated that unlike major banks, most credit unions do not periodically soft pull credit reports.  The reason:  its too costly for the credit union to continuously pull credit reports.  Of course there are exceptions, but he stated for the most part pulling credit reports is not cost effective for a small or medium-sized credit union.

Message 3 of 8
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Penfed stated that they are pulling everyone's credit score every month.  As they put it, they are "monitoring" credit reports monthly.  Every three months, they do a full pull.

Anyone with less than a 700 FICO score will loose available credit REGARDLESS of their behavior with Penfed, the utilization, the payment history with every creditor, lack of collections, lack of public records.  It doesn't matter what is going on with your credit, if the day they pull your FICO credit score and it's below 700, you loose, no-give-me backs!

They did that to me two weeks ago.  Of course, there is no explaination as to why my FICO score plummented more than 100 points in a month.  Experian says they won't discuss it with me unless I sign up for their credit monitoring program.  (No lates EVER, no CA's, no public records, less debt than the month before, utilization 5% or less...hello?  Where's the credit risk?)

Funny thing - I went in today and gave them money.  The teller was very adamant that I should accept a higher credit limit on my card!

She was VERY serious.  The screen in front of her pushed her to get me to accept it.  I declined.  They are not getting my IRA contribution come January!  (Neither is anyone else, but that is beside the point!  Whatever it takes to legally stay on a cash basis...and NOT go into debt, I'm doing it.) 

Yeah, my FICO score took a hit from their actions.  But my pride felt it more than anything.   In the big picture though, I don't need the credit that badly and should never depend on it.  The little debt I have (mostly medical) is being paid off as quickly as possible and that does not report on my credit report.  My one cc is used, and paid in full, for basics. 

Focus, focus, focus -- what is the important thing here?  Smiley Happy 

Message 4 of 8
wmarat
Valued Contributor

I assume by full pull you mean hard pull, if so than in my 1.5 years with PenFed I should have 6 hards from them, but I do not. Strange.

@IOBA wrote:

Penfed stated that they are pulling everyone's credit score every month.  As they put it, they are "monitoring" credit reports monthly.  Every three months, they do a full pull.

Anyone with less than a 700 FICO score will loose available credit REGARDLESS of their behavior with Penfed, the utilization, the payment history with every creditor, lack of collections, lack of public records.  It doesn't matter what is going on with your credit, if the day they pull your FICO credit score and it's below 700, you loose, no-give-me backs!

They did that to me two weeks ago.  Of course, there is no explaination as to why my FICO score plummented more than 100 points in a month.  Experian says they won't discuss it with me unless I sign up for their credit monitoring program.  (No lates EVER, no CA's, no public records, less debt than the month before, utilization 5% or less...hello?  Where's the credit risk?)

Funny thing - I went in today and gave them money.  The teller was very adamant that I should accept a higher credit limit on my card!

She was VERY serious.  The screen in front of her pushed her to get me to accept it.  I declined.  They are not getting my IRA contribution come January!  (Neither is anyone else, but that is beside the point!  Whatever it takes to legally stay on a cash basis...and NOT go into debt, I'm doing it.) 

Yeah, my FICO score took a hit from their actions.  But my pride felt it more than anything.   In the big picture though, I don't need the credit that badly and should never depend on it.  The little debt I have (mostly medical) is being paid off as quickly as possible and that does not report on my credit report.  My one cc is used, and paid in full, for basics. 

Focus, focus, focus -- what is the important thing here?  Smiley Happy 

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 5 of 8
manyquestions
Established Contributor

@IOBA wrote:

All I see on my report from Penfed is a soft pull every quarter.  I think the CSR you talked to was misinformed. 

Message 6 of 8
score_building
Senior Contributor

@IOBA wrote:

...Anyone with less than a 700 FICO score will loose available credit REGARDLESS of their behavior with Penfed, the utilization, the payment history with every creditor, lack of collections, lack of public records.  It doesn't matter what is going on with your credit, if the day they pull your FICO credit score and it's below 700, you loose, no-give-me backs...

sounds like they're playing hard ball, especially since a score represents just a moment in time.  downward fluctuations can merely be a momentary set back or even based on inaccurate info. so it would seem to make sense to also rely on some other good sources of predictive info. like those listed above. 

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 7 of 8
dallascowboyfan
Contributor

Well I work at a Credit Union and we do not pull member credit report for adverse action, the only way we close or block or decrease a limit is if the member gives us a reason i.e.... over his/her limit...other loans delinquent with us..checking account overdrawn. Those would be reason for our Credit Union to do an adverse action.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.