cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone had their NFCU credit card APR lowered?

tag
ChesterPDexter
Established Contributor

Has anyone had their NFCU credit card APR lowered?

More specifically, has anyone had their APR lowered by asking for it?  Do they go through a hard pull or do they just approve it based on history?

I've had my card for more than a year and they raised the CL from $10K to $15K.  I have a zero balance and have not used it for a while.  I sent them a message asking that they lower the APR.  Their FAQ says: "a request to lower the  APR may be made once every 12 months."

Anyone have information on this?  Personal experience with it?

searchingfor67
Established Contributor

Re: Has anyone had their NFCU credit card APR lowered?

I'm interested in knowing the answer to this question as well...

TU FICO: 772 (Discover) • Exp FICO: 772 (Citi)

Amex BCE $13K | Amex Costco TE $10.4K | Amex SPG $5K | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $15K | Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15K | Chase Ink Plus World Elite MC $5K | Citi TY Preferred World MC $10.1K | Citi Forward $10K | Citi Diamond Pref $7.6K | Discover IT $9.9K | JP Morgan Chase Select Visa Signature $9.2K | NFCU CashRew Visa Sig $25K | NFCU LOC $15K | NFL Visa Signature (Saints) $8.1K | USAA Amex $11.3K | USAA World MC $11.5K
Message 2 of 16
Datx
Valued Contributor

All you have to do is ask, and they'll consider it. Its not a hard pull, and they just review your account history. There are a few threads on here about it, just send them a message through online banking or call in to ask.

Message 3 of 16
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

I'm curious to know as well. My one year is coming up and would like to know if anyone has had success with apr reduction
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 4 of 16
score_building
Senior Contributor

Navy lowered it after sent an e-mail last year, it took a few days to receive the reply, no HP. IIRC NFCU began to consider card holder requests for APD about a year or so ago. It is a painless process, not like Alliant, who pulls hard for card holder initiated APRD requests.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 5 of 16
ChesterPDexter
Established Contributor

Thanks - I did a search and I see that people tend to get a 1% reduction.  Has anyone gotten a reduction larger than that?

Valued Contributor

What I'm curious about and I'm sure others as well if its possible to go from 17.99 to let's say 11.99 if your credit picture and score support it. I'm not saying they will do it in one shot but if at all possible over time?
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone. I'm a long time visitor of this forum but I registered to answer this question, haha. Yes it is possible to get more than a 1% reduction. I called NFCU back in May and my APR went from 17.9% to 12.9%.

One interesting thing to note is that while you can only request a reduction once every 12 months, product changes seem to reset that limit. In August I requested that the same card be changed from the nRewards to the cashRewards card and was given another reduction to 10.65%.
Message 8 of 16
ChesterPDexter
Established Contributor

Thanks for all the information, everyone.  Gomez, that was especially helpful!

Established Member

I have 3 cards with NFCU. 2 i have had over a year and 1 under. I sent an message online and asked them was my accounts eligible for a apr decrease. They sent me a message back on 2 cards saying they were eligible to be reduced from 10.99 to 9.99. and that the 3rd one wasnt eligible because it hasnt been open a year. its at 10.65% so i will send a message next march and ask. No hard pull on any

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.