Ron1
Super Contributor

Has anyone heard about GoBank™?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Re: Has anyone heard about GoBank™?

I'm not clear from the press release what is so special about this.  I have several internet bank accounts, and each provides a smartphone app, of varying quality.

None of those currently allow customization of the debit card, but, unlike Cap One/Wells Fargo credit cards, looks like Go Bank charges for this (I can't imagine paying for this, but maybe they've done market research).  The rest seems to be a set of features available in different places (Amazon payments for example), so the feature set may be unique but that's true of many of the other banks (e.g. everbank allows foreign currency accounts and trading in metals...)

So, not sure just how excited I should be!

Message 2 of 13
jake619
Frequent Contributor

"members can voluntarily pay a monthly membership fee in any amount they think is fair, from nothing up to a maximum of $9 per month."

I wonder how well this model works in the long run.

Message 3 of 13
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@jake619 wrote:

"members can voluntarily pay a monthly membership fee in any amount they think is fair, from nothing up to a maximum of $9 per month."

Yes, I decided not to join because suppose I want to pay $10 a month?

Message 4 of 13
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@jake619 wrote:

L O L

Smiley Very Happy

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 5 of 13
iloverewards
Valued Member

@bs6054 wrote:

@jake619 wrote:

Yes, I decided not to join because suppose I want to pay $10 a month?

LOL

Chase Sapphire Preferred | Freedom | IHG Rewards Club
Citi Dividend | Simplicity | AAdvantage
Discover It
Capital One Quicksilver
Amex Blue Cash
Barclay Arrival | NFL Extra Points
Bank of America Better Balance Rewards
US Bank Platinum Visa
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only difference between Gobank and some other internet bank is the ability to add cash at no charge.  That will be possible through WalMart registers.

Message 7 of 13
Ron1
Super Contributor

Go Bank sent me an invitation last week.  I was able to signup on the second try.  You can fund your account either by debit card (no charge) like Serve, direct deposit and scan checks. NO ACH. You can move your money into specail savings area called the Vault.  You can withdrwal funds from cash free ATMs across the nation like inside the Walgreens and CVS. By the way, they sent you two code to your email address and SMS to your phone. They will ask you three questions about from public record company.  I failed the first time. I was able to answer on the second try.

Ron.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ron1 wrote:

Go Bank sent me an invitation last week.  I was able to signup on the second try.  You can fund your account either by debit card (no charge) like Serve, direct deposit and scan checks. NO ACH. You can move your money into specail savings area called the Vault.  You can withdrwal funds from cash free ATMs across the nation like inside the Walgreens and CVS. By the way, they sent you two code to your email address and SMS to your phone. They will ask you three questions about from public record company.  I failed the first time. I was able to answer on the second try.

Ron.

One of the three initial funding options is cash through a MoneyPak which costs $4.95 which they refund to you.

You can deposit cash at Walmart free of charge at any register once you receive your debit card in the mail.  I don't know why anyone would want to use ACH unless they had to since it takes forever.

Message 9 of 13
Ron1
Super Contributor

I finally got my debit card yesterday. The card looks pretty good.  I haven't tried online billpay yet. I like you can do everything on the phone apps.  I like you can deposit funds by using the debit cards ( Visa/MC only) You can put aside your money into the special place  to save money like PNC Virtual Wallet.  I think it is pretty cool.

Ron.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.