cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone negotiated better terms on a BT offer?

tag
Phoenix-rising
Frequent Contributor

Has anyone negotiated better terms on a BT offer?

I think I remember reading somewhere on these forums that it's possible to negotiate on BT offers.  I'm trying to use them to pay down a new auto loan that's at 8% interest.  These are cards I'm not currently using and the BT will be the only thing on the card until it's PIF, so I won't be racking up big time finance charges.

These are the offers I'm working with:

Discover ($10k CL) - 0% until 8/2009 - Fee - 3% with no max

Citi ($7,400 CL) - 0% for 12 months - Fee - 3% with a max of $75

Chase ($13k CL) - 3.99% for the life - Fee - 3% with no max fee
OR 0.00% until 2/2009 - Fee - 3% with no max

I really like Citi's idea of a max fee of $75.  I'd like to see if Discover or Chase would match that.  Has anyone here ever successfully negotiated with Discover or Chase to get better terms on a BT offer?  

I may end up using all three offers, but don't plan to max them all out.  I'm mentally preparing myself for the score hit I'll be taking.  (I guess I should prepare for AmEx to lower my CL as well.)  I plan to pay off most of the new BT debt within 6 months.  The goal here is to get the big fat auto loan re-fi'd for 6.25% with my local credit union  when I recover from the BT hit.
DH's FICOS: July '08 TU-661 / EQ-593 / EX-656 --> April '09 TU-730 / EQ-705 / EX-685

MY FICOS: July '08 TU-735 / EQ-727 / EX-767 --> April '09 TU-789 / EQ-774 / EX-767
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Has anyone negotiated better terms on a BT offer?

Pure math-

8K - 12 months= 696 payment - $351 in interest

8K - 6 months= 1365 payment - $188 in interest

3% of $8K= $240

IMO- I don't think you are going to get the BT fee waived for the 0% offers-  So the savings is to small to make this worthwhile.

At 3.99 12 months= $174 in interest if you get the BT waived-
3.99 6 months = $93 in interest if BT fee is waived
Message 2 of 3
Phoenix-rising
Frequent Contributor

Re: Has anyone negotiated better terms on a BT offer?

Thanks for translating the BT dilemma into numbers for me.  Your post had me crunching numbers all morning long looking a multiple scenarios.  In the end I came to the same conclusion as you did.  The savings aren't that big of a deal even if I was able to negotiate with them. 

My main goal is figuring out the best course of action to be able to refi my big fat auto loan with the local Credit Union ASAP.  But that's another post for another forum.

Thanks.
DH's FICOS: July '08 TU-661 / EQ-593 / EX-656 --> April '09 TU-730 / EQ-705 / EX-685

MY FICOS: July '08 TU-735 / EQ-727 / EX-767 --> April '09 TU-789 / EQ-774 / EX-767
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.