cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone noticed a difference in the prequals(mail vs website)?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone noticed a difference in the prequals(mail vs website)?

Hi everyone,

I checked the prequals for Capital One the other to see if I had an offer. And I did. It was the Quicksilver Visa, a card I have my eye and would like to apply for at the end of the year(when my discover card hits 1 year) and the Venture Card. But I checked the mail today and Capital One sent a prequal for their Platinum card, a card that did not show up when I checked online for prequals. What is up with this? Why the difference? Has anyone experienced this?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Has anyone noticed a difference in the prequals(mail vs website)?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi everyone,

I checked the prequals for Capital One the other to see if I had an offer. And I did. It was the Quicksilver Visa, a card I have my eye and would like to apply for at the end of the year(when my discover card hits 1 year) and the Venture Card. But I checked the mail today and Capital One sent a prequal for their Platinum card, a card that did not show up when I checked online for prequals. What is up with this? Why the difference? Has anyone experienced this?

Yes, I've experienced it. Their lineup has changed a bit since I looked at their prequals or got mailed offers, but they were definitely mailing me offers for very bad cards (for someone who started with a Freedom) while showing more reasonable offers on their website. I didn't end up applying for anything from them.

With the mailed offers, I think they're just fishing for their ideal customers - people who are a low default risk and yet are uninformed as to their better options.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 4
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

IME prequal were the min.

I was approved for several accounts with CapOne that I was NOT prequal for.

JME

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi everyone,

Let us not forget...that these are businesses and these 'prequals' are MARKETING devices

McDonalds has an ad with the Big Mac

then one featuring the Quarter Pounder

yet another with the Fish Filet

Point is the JOB of the marketing dept. is to INTICE apps ...today, right now...not tomorrow, not next week TODAY

This one vs that doesn't really matter....they have to test he BLUE one the RED one ....even tie a ribbon round the YELLOW one

and Yes darn they'll take cold apps too

WHY?

It's business....

Why is CK Free....and Credit Sesame and Quizzle and Credit.com it's MARKETING!

Why don't you see Discover offers on CK anymore....b/c Discover started there own lead funnel using real Fico scores as the 'hook' along with, you guessed it Exp

MyFico has a Forum for us to communicate (and maybe BUY something, while we're here) it's no biggie....we're all big oys and girls and have free will to take the meat and leave the bone .....

But your question is like asking why the Toyota dealer sends some marketing showing the Camry then some other piece featuring the Prius Smiley Tongue

Also, in fairness mail campaigns many times have a CRAZY amount of lead time before they hit homes, because to get favorable mailing cost they do huge volumes and use 'book-rate' or whatever it's called speed and prices vs us going in sending a letter or postcard 1st class....they bundle a gazillion to save a gazillion, so they mailer you get may have been planned 2 -3 months ago.....

That's why some actual real pre-approvals have 'reply by dates' b/c the SP they used goes back to X date and their wiling to honor the offer based upon a 'that'credit pull.

Most pre-quals are just bulk offers based upon very wide net but no real credit UW has taken place...the company just gets CB data of the 'sort' of client they 'may' approve AND MOST IMPORTANTLY those more likely to respond to offers, is a criteria...b/c it doesn't make as much sense to waste money mailing to 'well-qualfied' applicants if it does garner applications.

This is why tweeners and rebuilders get more offers than the 'better' qual'd b/c thr ROI of mailing to those more willing to take the bait is money better spent

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.