cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone on Amex BlackList been able to get off it early due to getting a Amex Corp card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Has anyone on Amex BlackList been able to get off it early due to getting a Amex Corp card?

My scores were low when I was hired for a job that required a Corp Travel Card that happened to be from Chase.  I did not submit that page of the new hire docs because I didnt want to be turned down right away at a new job.

The HR ppl tracked me down and insisted I submit the paper saying that the Corporation guaranteed the lender they would be paid but that the individual was on the line for their own travel charges.  It was guaranteed approval, but if you defaulted or misused the card, you would be fired.  Kind of like PMI or VA on a home loan, if you default, they would still get their money back.

I didnt have a problem, but there were at least two ppl at my site (625 ppl) that 'forgot' it was a corp travel card and used it for some personal purchases and they were dismissed because of it.  They reasoned that if they paid it off on time, no harm done, but the Corp had ppl that monitored all transactions on all accounts and they picked it up and it was grounds for dismissal.

I never saw any entries on my CR about it for positive reporting and I was never late on it either, so no entries whatsoever.

Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Has anyone on Amex BlackList been able to get off it early due to getting a Amex Corp card?

I forgot to mention -

I have a CO from Amex from 2008 that is no longer on my reports.

I settled the account with them around 2012 for less than full, but settled.

My scores have improved now and I am in the mid to high 6s on EX and I am considering putting an app when it gets above 680, my personal point for app with them.

When they agreed to the settlement, I asked about another account 'someday' and they didnt promise at any given score point, just 'if your credit is better' and 'after some time passes'.  Vague and non-committal, but it wasnt a heck no either.

I am hopeful it will work when I make the first app, probably in early 2016.

hth

Message 12 of 20
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you. It's been about 7 months already. I don't know how my company pays AMEX or when, but it's been that long. I know I used my social to apply and applied through AMEX. Still, that doesn't mean anything?

Ok then all you can do is try to get approved for a personal card. If you are on the BL it will be instantly denied and no HP will appear on your CR.

Message 13 of 20
hudsons1
Established Member

I had a personal green card go to collections, but after I paid it off Amex offered to give me an Optima card as part of their fresh start program. After managing that one nicely for a year, I was approved for Delta Gold and PGR.

Amex Delta Gold- Amex Premier Rewards- Discover IT -WF Cash Back Visa- Cap One Platinum- Cap One QS1 -US Bank Kroger Rewards Visa -Merrick Visa- Credit One Plat- Care Credit- Amex Optima-State Farm Visa
Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

How could I get a company corporate card using my social, if I was on the BL? Is that even possible?
Message 15 of 20
iCoop
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I forgot to mention -

I have a CO from Amex from 2008 that is no longer on my reports.

I settled the account with them around 2012 for less than full, but settled.

My scores have improved now and I am in the mid to high 6s on EX and I am considering putting an app when it gets above 680, my personal point for app with them.

When they agreed to the settlement, I asked about another account 'someday' and they didnt promise at any given score point, just 'if your credit is better' and 'after some time passes'.  Vague and non-committal, but it wasnt a heck no either.

I am hopeful it will work when I make the first app, probably in early 2016.

hth

Good luck.I settled an account with American Express back in 2008. I wasn't able to open another account even after the settlement. I knew I was eventually going to need an American Express corporate card due to work and didn't want to be denied so I went ahead and paid the remaining balance owed in early 2011 even though I previously settled. In fact, the representatives at first had a hard time accepting the payments as my account was closed and the balance left was put in some special 'not owed' status. I was able to open up new accounts later in 2011 and American Express removed the negative accounts from my reports without issue. Scores shot up from the mid 600s to the low 700s. Since then nothing but increases and better credit management.

Starting Score: EQ 675 | TU 688 | EX 702
Current Score: EQ 795 | TU 788 | EX 770
Goal Score: 750 (Across All 3)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 20
sjt
Senior Contributor

I used to Administor my former employer Corp Amex Program.

Basically Amex has two types of programs. The type we used is where the employee was individually billed. In that program when some applies for the Corporate Card, Amex will pull a SP and check their internal records for past relationships. If an employee was rejected for any reason (main reason is BL) the Administrator can override the decision by placing a corporate guaranty on the card. Becasue of this, having a corporate card does not mean you are on the BL.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 17 of 20
Klesko
Regular Contributor

My situation was simple. IIB Amex in 2009 and then had to get a corp card in 2014. My company card is personal backed, meaning I pay for it and get reimbursed by my company. I applied and was denied. I called the number on the rejection and talked to them, they came back and told me they approved me. I got my card a week later. 

I then thought maybe I was off the BL so I went and applied for a personal CC with them. I was declined, and when I got the letter it stated prior amex experience. Meaning I was still black listed. 

So in summary getting the corp card does nothing to get you off the black list. 

Penfed Visa 10k | Penfed PLOC 25k | Citi Hhonors 10k | Total Rewards Visa $25k | Alliant Visa $15k | Barclays Arrival + $13k | Barclays AAdvantage $5k | Barclays Apple $2.2k | CapOne QS WMC $26.5k | CapOne QS $5k | CapOne Plat $5k | Discover 8.5k | Allegacy Visa $6k | DCU Visa $7.5k | Best Buy Visa $11k | Lowes Store Card $30k | Walmart Store Card $10k | Amazon Store Card $25k
Message 18 of 20
ryox03
Regular Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you. It's been about 7 months already. I don't know how my company pays AMEX or when, but it's been that long. I know I used my social to apply and applied through AMEX. Still, that doesn't mean anything?

Ok then all you can do is try to get approved for a personal card. If you are on the BL it will be instantly denied and no HP will appear on your CR.

Just did a little experiment and apped for the Jet Blue Amex (I know it's changing) to see if I would get an instant denial and I didn't. Got a 7--10 day message though. I did a settlement program too.

$1,000 Amex ED, Amex PRG- NPSL,$5,000 Quicksilver Visa, $3750 CO Quicksilver One, $3,300 BarclayCard Rewards,$2000 Paypal Credit, $3500 Walmart, $1700 Target. $5000 Kay Jewlers, $3500 Amazon Prime Store Card, $1,600 Discover IT

652 EQ 661 TU 650 EX 4/19/2016
Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

ryx03 -

I am very much interested in your results - please let us know what happens

I am anxious to get back in - just a couple more baddies to go and I can put on my flak jacket and go fir it.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.