cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone received any retention bonuses for Barclays Arrival?

tag
enharu
Super Contributor

Has anyone received any retention bonuses for Barclays Arrival?

Tried looking around online but can't find much info.

Has anyone been offered any retention bonuses for keeping the Barclays Arrival past 1st year?

I'm planning to close the account next month if retention cannot waive the AF or offer some kind of credits. Just trying to find out to see if that's even possible. 

Barclays seem to be fairly generous with retention offers for the US Airway card.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
mxp114
Valued Contributor

Re: Has anyone received any retention bonuses for Barclays Arrival?

I'm also curious about this and only know of one person that tried to cancel, he was offered the chance to downgrade as the only offer. No credits not even a partial credit for the AF and no bonus miles. He did cancel the card. I also plan to cancel next month.

Message 2 of 12
enharu
Super Contributor

@mxp114 wrote:

I'm also curious about this and only know of one person that tried to cancel, he was offered the chance to downgrade as the only offer. No credits not even a partial credit for the AF and no bonus miles. He did cancel the card. I also plan to cancel next month.

Thanks for the info!

This is probably why I couldn't find anything so far Smiley Sad

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 12
vega25

Any updates from people calling Barclays for retention offers on the Arrival? @enharu, and @mxp114, and others?

Thank you!

Message 4 of 12
mxp114
Valued Contributor

Surprised not more data points on this topic, I was offered a chance to get an "exciting version of Arrival without the annual fee" or a one-time courtesy fee waive.

Message 5 of 12
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@mxp114 wrote:

Surprised not more data points on this topic, I was offered a chance to get an "exciting version of Arrival without the annual fee" or a one-time courtesy fee waive.

Well, better than the standard boring old Arrival with no AF!

Message 6 of 12
vega25

Bump.

Message 7 of 12
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@mxp114 wrote:

That's good you got the one-time annual fee waive, though! Congrats on that. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 12
PointLager
Established Contributor

any idea when it's best to call Barclays and ask for an AF waive?  Before the AF posts of right after?

thanks

Message 9 of 12
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Since they offer a no AF version of this particular card, I wouldn't expect them to waive the AF on the AF version (except maybe one time). So you may get another year out of it but little else. They will probably suggest you downgrade to the no AF arrival. There's little reason for them to waive the AF on an AF card, IMO. Yes, it's a "retention bonus" but you knew about the AF when you signed up, and they do want to retain you but they have an AF for a reason. They are not just going to remove it for you just because you don't want to pay it, at least not permanently. Maybe a year but that's it.

I'd suggest downgrading to the no AF. If you really push for it you may get an extra year out of the AF card, but if you're going to cancel it after anyway, it's kind of silly to bother IMO. YMMV. You shouldn't apply for cards unless you can justify the AF after the sign up bonuses and free year have passed. Everyone talks about wanting a long AAOA and such, well apping for cards due to bonuses and then cancelling when the AF that you knew about becomes due is not exactly a good plan when it comes to a long term credit history. Tons of opened and closed short term accounts do not look good. They don't affect your AAOA in that they remain there for 10 years, but I wouldn't want my report cluttered up with 30 short term accounts, again YMMV.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.