cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone seen a credit card with lower fees than this one?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Has anyone seen a credit card with lower fees than this one?

OP, unfortunately this is a variable rate card.  Not fixed.  Although I was pretty impressed with the rate range, cash back, and the fact it had no ftfs.

What APR were you approved for? What limit?

Message 31 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

OP, unfortunately this is a variable rate card.  Not fixed.  Although I was pretty impressed with the rate range, cash back, and the fact it had no ftfs.

For some reason my credit was shot when they pulled Experian, so it was 574, even though AMEX pulled up 622 like two days before that. The APR is 17.49%, but the credit union is always flexible in giving credit line increases and lowering APR's all the time. Limit is $500 but that's only because I was so embarassed about what the lady pulled up, that I didn't want to decrease my chances of getting the card any further. 

Alrhough the rate says variable, the CU's CEO/President says he's trying not to adjust the variable rate with the prime rate. He said he'll adjust savings, mortgage, and personal loan rates, but not credit cards for "as long as he can." 

Message 32 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

For some reason my credit was shot when they pulled Experian, so it was 574, even though AMEX pulled up 622 like two days before that. The APR is 17.49%, but the credit union is always flexible in giving credit line increases and lowering APR's all the time. Limit is $500 but that's only because I was so embarassed about what the lady pulled up, that I didn't want to decrease my chances of getting the card any further. 

Alrhough the rate says variable, the CU's CEO/President says he's trying not to adjust the variable rate with the prime rate. He said he'll adjust savings, mortgage, and personal loan rates, but not credit cards for "as long as he can." 

I love credit unions.  They may not always give the best advice, but they have some of the best products and rates in the market.  My CU card is strange (as well as commerce bank) they have not updated any of the balances since january.

I am sure that your experian really wasnt 574, maybe it was not a fico 08 and another model?  But yeah, long term, you should be just fine with increases and apr reductions with use of the card. 

Not to sound bossy, and no clue what your other limits are on your cards, but as long as your income supports it, I would pick one card to focus on, and use it heavily, then in 5-6 months, ask for an increase.

Message 33 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I am sure that your experian really wasnt 574, maybe it was not a fico 08 and another model?  But yeah, long term, you should be just fine with increases and apr reductions with use of the card. 

This. I had a FICO of 689 when my CU pulled my scores, I was sitting with the branch manager when she did the pull. However, on the CC documents, I had a score of N/A - Their internal scoring system couldn't even generate a number for me. 

Message 34 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I love credit unions.  They may not always give the best advice, but they have some of the best products and rates in the market.  My CU card is strange (as well as commerce bank) they have not updated any of the balances since january.

Not to sound bossy, and no clue what your other limits are on your cards, but as long as your income supports it, I would pick one card to focus on, and use it heavily, then in 5-6 months, ask for an increase.

Problem is it's hard to pick between my first year DiscoverIt (with 5% rotating and first year cash back match), my 2% cash back double cash, and my credit union credit card. 

Limit on Discover is $750 but the utilization is under 30%. Limit on Double Cash is $1,500 but it's almost maxed out. Citi was nice enough to lower my APR to 14.49%. 

Message 35 of 44
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

For some reason my credit was shot when they pulled Experian, so it was 574, even though AMEX pulled up 622 like two days before that.

Make sure you're considering the specific scoring model and not just the CRA.  AmEx provides a FICO 8.  Verify the model used by the CU.

@longtimelurker wrote:

RIght, but "as a whole" doesn't mean anything.   If I never do foreign transactions, or BT, and always PIF, I will focus only on rewards.    If I often carry a balance, or do cash advances, different things matter, so you cannot combine them into one measure of goodness.

^ This. Aiming for the "best" in everything generally means you're just compromising on everything. Prioritize your needs/wants. For me, APR is gravy but not a priorty as I PIF since rewards are my focus and not PIF'ing more than kills rewards. Penalty APR is irrelevant as I don't allow any payment to go late. No FTF is a plus but not required for every card for me as I have no FTF cards when I do travel internationally. No cash advance fee is nice but I really don't have any use for it. And so on and so on.

Is every item listed really a priority for you?  Many of them shouldn't be relevant if you're responsibly managing your accounts.  If that's not the case then address the problem, not the symptom.

Message 36 of 44
pace_it
Valued Member

Not sure if the card I got from my local credit union is "better" by any means, but it has a lower purchase APR and similar fee structure. No rewards, unfortunately - it's just a simple "no frills" low interest card.

Variable interest rate: Fixed 6.90% or 9.90% (I qualified for 6.90%)

Cash advances, balance transfer APR: BT is a match, Cash Advance is 9.90%

Penalty APR: None.

Minimum Interest Charge: None.

Annual Fee: None

Transactions & Balance Transfer Fees: None.

ATM/Branch Cash Advance Fees: None.

Foreign Transaction Fees: None.

Late Payment: Up to $25 (if 10 days or more late).

Over Credit Limit Fee: None.

Returned Payment Fee: None.

Rewards rate: No rewards.

I believe I also read something about one of the big banks offering APR rates starting at 4% for military members on a few cards. Can't remember which though.

Message 37 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Empower just released a new rewards system today that's much better than the old one.

Previously you could only redeem for gift cards in $75 increments for 5,000 points, but now you can get them in $25 increments for 2,500 points. Before anyone comes to a conclusion, the point per dollar system was changed too... From 1 point per dollar to 1.5 point per dollar after the new system was launched.

The other couple of neat things about the new rewards program compared to the old one include:

• "Pay with points"  through MasterCard for purchases.
  • Book for airfare, hotels, and events directly through the new rewards site. Previously you had to purchase the stuff with your CC and they'd reimburse you.

• You can purchase points for $.02 a point, up to $5,000 per transaction.

Now only if the card had Paypass built in, it'd be almost perfect. The credit union's CEO said MasterCard was doing an update with Paypass so they didn't opt in when they converted to MasterCard about a year ago. Hopefully they'll look into it again.

Message 38 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Still looking for images of the cardholder agreement to validate your claims.

Message 39 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Still looking for images of the cardholder agreement to validate your claims.

I dont know why but this ^^^ made me chuckle. (I'm also waiting to see the agreement, it sounds like an awesome card)

Congrats on your card OP!

Message 40 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.