Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hate Amex and Discover

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Hate Amex and Discover

@EAJuggalo wrote:

I'm guessing all 8 are within the last year since that's how old the secured is.  I can't say I blame either Discover or Amex for not taking chances with someone with so little credit history that has amassed all that in the last year.  You went from a secured card to 40k of exposure, without a very high income it makes business sense to them.   I'd bet that once your AAoA goes up  another six months you'd qualify for one or both, although I have heard stories of Discover just not liking certain people for one reason or another and never approving them.

How high of an income is consider high? I made 240k last year (2015)

Message 21 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well that's certainly income which should support an approval. I make high income as well (not that high) and am completely assuming that my income played a part in my approval.

One more question, since we still haven't heard the denial reason: Had you burned them in the past? AmEx is notorious for having a long memory (15-30 years).

Message 22 of 26
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@EAJuggalo wrote:

I'm guessing all 8 are within the last year since that's how old the secured is.  I can't say I blame either Discover or Amex for not taking chances with someone with so little credit history that has amassed all that in the last year.  You went from a secured card to 40k of exposure, without a very high income it makes business sense to them.   I'd bet that once your AAoA goes up  another six months you'd qualify for one or both, although I have heard stories of Discover just not liking certain people for one reason or another and never approving them.

It would be helpful if you listed out the cards you have, what month / year each was issued, and current credit limit on each. With credit discussions, each file is different, and the items in that file are a significant part of the discussion.

Was there any BK or other baddies?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 23 of 26
sjt
Senior Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@EAJuggalo wrote:

It would be helpful if you listed out the cards you have, what month / year each was issued, and current credit limit on each. With credit discussions, each file is different, and the items in that file are a significant part of the discussion.

Was there any BK or other baddies?

I think the OP has a thin file, accounts are new, and many inq. All they need to do is let the accounts age a little.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 24 of 26
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@OmarGB9 wrote:
Discover can be fickle on who they approve. Amex just has high standards in general lol. You'll get in eventually. Smiley Happy

I got around total of 40k CL with other cards and not even 1% UTI and Amex and discover still wouldn't approve me lol just want it maybe cause can't get it. I'll just keep using my capital one

I had over 100K in CL's and they wouldn't give me either of them until 2 months before my BK was to fall off then I was able to get both of them with scores ~750 per their disclosures.  Discover started at $4400 and Amex at $11000.  Discover is now $19600 and Amex $30000 within less than 6 months of persistent CLI requests.  So, high CL's and decent scores aren't everything when it comes to either of them.  They obviously look at more metrics than just "I pay my bills on time and got approved for 2-3 new cards".  Just try every 3 months or so while everything ages and eventually you might get approved for a card.

Message 25 of 26
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hate Amex and Discover

That's a strong reaction.  Your credit profile doesn't qualify.  Don't just rely on the passage of time. Identify the issues with your credit profile and work on addressing them.  If you want assistance then give us some more details and we'll be glad to help you assess.

@Anonymous wrote:

I got around total of 40k CL with other cards and not even 1% UTI and Amex and discover still wouldn't approve me lol just want it maybe cause can't get it.

That;s good but Revolving Utilization is just one thing that fall under Amounts Owed.  Amounts Owed isn't the only scoring factor

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

How is your credit profile with respect to all the other factors?  Where can you stand to improve?  Are there things that you can improve with the bigger factors?

@Anonymous wrote:

Can't go secured. Actually won't go since I have like 8 credit cards right now. Only secured I still have is a capital one that I rebuilt with almost a year ago

That is a lot of new credit for your profile and definitely part of your problem.  However, this is a situation where time and responsible usage will help.  Keep in mind that building and rebuilding credt are long, slow processes.  You're still just starting off.  A year is no time at all in the credit world.  Set reasonable expectations and be prepared to be in this for the long haul.

Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.