cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hating discover or am I being unreasonable?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hating discover or am I being unreasonable?

So a few weeks ago discover sent me an offer in the mail with a 0% interest rate on balance transfers. I just got back from vacation and had about a 6,000 balance on my navy cc. So I decided Hey why not get to pay off over a few months with discover then.

When I apped with discover then they declined that offer and said they could give me a low cl of 2900 and a higher interest rate than I have with navy. So I said fine. I heard such great things about discover I'll give them a chance and just let the cl grow. It said nothing else about the balance transfer. So I figured it was void since I asked for the 6,000.

Fast foward to today and I try to use the card for the first time and it's declined. So I called and they said it was because they bt 2800 from navy! No one even called me or emailed or anything to tell me this. Plus again it's a higher rate than my navy so it makes no sense to even bt that amount and at that rate. Now they are saying all I can do is dispute it which takes up to 20 days and this is going to report on my credit with a maxed out card. I'm pissed. And no one at discover is giving me much of any help with this.

Is this completely my fault and I just have to eat it or do you guys agree that discover is being pretty **bleep**ty. Especially to a brand new customer. And also do you think the EO can even help with this?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does anyone have contact info for discover EO or am I being unreasonable?

Oh and to add. The bt hasn't even gone through. Navy still has my same old balance
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Hating discover or am I being unreasonable?

@Anonymous wrote:

So a few weeks ago discover sent me an offer in the mail with a 0% interest rate on balance transfers. I just got back from vacation and had about a 6,000 balance on my navy cc. So I decided Hey why not get to pay off over a few months with discover then.

When I apped with discover then they declined that offer and said they could give me a low cl of 2900 and a higher interest rate than I have with navy. So I said fine. I heard such great things about discover I'll give them a chance and just let the cl grow. It said nothing else about the balance transfer. So I figured it was void since I asked for the 6,000.

Fast foward to today and I try to use the card for the first time and it's declined. So I called and they said it was because they bt 2800 from navy! No one even called me or emailed or anything to tell me this. Plus again it's a higher rate than my navy so it makes no sense to even bt that amount and at that rate. Now they are saying all I can do is dispute it which takes up to 20 days and this is going to report on my credit with a maxed out card. I'm pissed. And no one at discover is giving me much of any help with this.

Is this completely my fault and I just have to eat it or do you guys agree that discover is being pretty **bleep**ty. Especially to a brand new customer. And also do you think the EO can even help with this?

Did you request to have the balance transferred to Navy?  If so, then it is your error as you assumed it was void per your post.  Discover cannot do a balance transfer to a card without you requesting it.  Also, when you  do a balance transfer, it takes up to 7-10 business days for it to show up.

Discover EO is not as lenient but you an certainly try.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did request of off the original terms of the flier. I never even had a discover card. I opened it up just because of the flier. Which i understand is basically marketing. So it was no big deal when it said it couldn't give me the original offer on the flier. But it didn't say anything about opening up the amount and balance transfer 90% of my available credit at a higher apr. I just don't understand why they would do that to a brand new account and for a lesser amount that I even agreed to knowing it would max out my card and the it had a completely different term
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I did request of off the original terms of the flier. I never even had a discover card. I opened it up just because of the flier. Which i understand is basically marketing. So it was no big deal when it said it couldn't give me the original offer on the flier. But it didn't say anything about opening up the amount and balance transfer 90% of my available credit at a higher apr. I just don't understand why they would do that to a brand new account and for a lesser amount that I even agreed to knowing it would max out my card and the it had a completely different term

Usually, when you do a balance transfer even with Discover it tells you the terms, apr etc. before asking if you want to proceed.  You must also have incured a fee for doing the balance transfer.

Is there no way for Discover to cancel it at the backend? Call and speak with a supervisor to see if they can help.  They have great customer service.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know if it was different because I opened a new account. But all I remember it saying was the couldn't give me the initial terms and offered new ones. However, nothing else was said about a balance transfer or an amount they would try to transfer that I saw.

That's why I assumed there was no longer a bt. After calling back 3 times they said once it posts they will dispute it and give the money back to me once it's done and I'll just pay navy back? Don't quite understand that. I would assume it would pay discover back since they paid navy. But whatever my head hurts lol
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I don't know if it was different because I opened a new account. But all I remember it saying was the couldn't give me the initial terms and offered new ones. However, nothing else was said about a balance transfer or an amount they would try to transfer that I saw.

That's why I assumed there was no longer a bt. After calling back 3 times they said once it posts they will dispute it and give the money back to me once it's done and I'll just pay navy back? Don't quite understand that. I would assume it would pay discover back since they paid navy. But whatever my head hurts lol

Ok. At the time of applying, did you say you wanted to do a balance transfer when approved?  That is the only scenario I can think off to have this happen. If you dispute it, they are likely going reverse the transaction and you will have have to pay Navy.  So they are correct here.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I must have. But it wasn't something I saw. I'm sure it was there somewhere. But as long as it can be fixed I'm ok lesson learned.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I must have. But it wasn't something I saw. I'm sure it was there somewhere. But as long as it can be fixed I'm ok lesson learned.

I hope it can get fixed for you.  Sounds like a nightmare.  Updte the thread on final outcome.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.