cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have Amex 61 CLI coming up. Good or Bad?

tag
audia4
Established Contributor

Have Amex 61 CLI coming up. Good or Bad?

In another 4 days, I will at my 61 days since getting my Amex card. I'm hoping for the best and I hope I will able to get a nice increase.

My limit started out at $10k, so I know I won't be asking for a 3x increase. I would just like to hit the 24,500 everyone talks about. I would be perfectly happy with that for now.

Here's my question though...(and I know I probably should have ask this question about use prior to actually doing it instead of asking now)...

So far, in less than 2 months, we have ran a little over $21k through the card and 230 transactions. Currently owed is $1,600 and that will report tomorrow when it's time for them to report. (I'm leaving that amount on the card on purpose).

So, will they see this as a "good" thing...that we are using the card a lot in both transactions and $$ and paying it off within a few days after every transaction? Or will they see this as a bad thing that we are using it so much within a short period of time? I'm really not sure how they will take this.

I know once my husband went to use it (after having the card for only about 3 weeks) and they denied his transaction. He had to call them, verify, and they said that the card was getting so much use that they wanted to make sure it hadn't been stolen or something.

Another time I called about being able to make our payments every few days online vs having to call them each time (which we had to do during the first month because it only allowed us to make 1 pymt for the month) and she said "Don't worry, you can wait until you get the bill to make the payment"...um, lady you don't understand, I want to make a payment every few days. She couldn't understand why. She looked my account up and said "Oh my, now I see" and she laughed then looked up the actual date that I would be able to start making my (up to 5 pymts per day) online payments.

So what are your thoughts? Good or bad? What has been your experiences for those of you that might have ran huge amounts through the card during the first few months of getting it?

TU: 819 EQ: 821 EX 811

**$7500****$30,000*****$13500****$42,200****$10,000***$10,700*****$6000****$11,000*****OPEN****OPEN******$27,000*****11,000

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Have Amex 61 CLI coming up. Good or Bad?

Amex likes heavy usage - making pyts within a few days of transactions seems exhausting. But, at least they know you can pay. When is the last time they SPd you and what was your overall util?
Message 2 of 36
Hooosier
Contributor

My experience with AmEx has been nearly identical to yours, except that I always paid in full every month.  I, too, was approved for 10K initially in May.  When my 61 day came up I asked for 25K and was instantly approved.  Obviously YMMV, but I would think you should have no problem getting 25K, as well.

Message 3 of 36
audia4
Established Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
Amex likes heavy usage - making pyts within a few days of transactions seems exhausting. But, at least they know you can pay. When is the last time they SPd you and what was your overall util?

How would I know the last time they SPd me?  They are the only card that I'm going to let report this time around. Usually it's a 0 balance on all cards.

**$7500****$30,000*****$13500****$42,200****$10,000***$10,700*****$6000****$11,000*****OPEN****OPEN******$27,000*****11,000

Message 4 of 36
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

SP's are visible on CR's that are pulled direct from the CRAs.
Message 5 of 36
audia4
Established Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
SP's are visible on CR's that are pulled direct from the CRAs.

Oh, I have not pulled any CR's lately since you only get the 1 free per year. I only pulled my credit 2 months ago (and paid for all 3 of them) just because I knew my last baddie had fallen off and I just HAD to know what it looked like and what my scores were. (But I can tell you they were doing SP's on my credit way before I actually applied for it) and they were sending me "offers".

Message 6 of 36
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

They will use the last SP, the request will not generate a new sp. I don't think you'll have a problem, why not just ask for the full $30k?
Message 7 of 36
audia4
Established Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
They will use the last SP, the request will not generate a new sp. I don't think you'll have a problem, why not just ask for the full $30k?

Well that kinda sucks if they use the last SP that they used to give me the credit to begin with. I didn't have their card or my Chase Freedom card at that time. I only had the measly $300 Orchard and $1800 Discover.

I would assume that they would at least go over my account and see the usage, payments and such right?

Message 8 of 36
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

They've probably sp'd you at least once since you received the card. Yes, they will see your usage and pyt history.
Message 9 of 36
angelcred10
Regular Contributor

Yeah they pulled (soft pull) actually twice before my 61 day
The freedom should definitely have passed onto it
Starting Score: 635 Current Score: 659 Discover Pull
Goal Score:720s
Tried to use Images but it was all Wibbly, Wobbly, and Timey-Wimey.
Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.