cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have You Ever Closed a High-Limit Card?

tag
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Have You Ever Closed a High-Limit Card?

@hot4u wrote:

$5,000 DCU since I didn't use it and was not my oldest.Wasn't wooried about AAOA.

Was not  easy choice at time...... I felt I needed to thin my lines down.... they were my first at that limit. Smiley Wink And I belive it's HP Cli in future..

I'm seriously thinking about closing my DCU as well.. there really is no reason to keep it open other than keeping utilization percentage down since I'm keeping a balance on 0% right now. (The impact would be like 1-2% though so it really isn't a bid deal there either.) Just not sure if I should let it hit one year or not.

Message 21 of 27
changingmantra2
Regular Contributor

I have a card that I hardly use, which has $15,000 CL on it.  I will most likely close it after the 0% APR special ends - in January.  It is cool to read that there are others who will close a card  - no matter the limit - that they are not using, as opposed to just keeping it as part of a collection.

“We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.”
― Maya Angelou
Message 22 of 27
blondy250
Established Contributor

A Barclay card a couple years ago (12k). There customer service missed me off, it was a mistake as most things I do when I'm angry.

Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 23 of 27
chwebb1
Established Contributor

@changingmantra2 wrote:

Hello All -

What was the highest limit of a card you closed?  Why did you choose to close a card with a hight CL?

The highest limit card I've ever closed was a BB&T card with a $2,500 limit. I closed that one because I got my AMEX (Yay!), and honestly, that bank is stuck in the 90's as far as technology is concerned (they don't allow you to do most things over the phone or online, you have to go to a branch). They also wouldn't give me an APR reduction (they said they never give APR reductions). They were my first card to report to all 3 bureaus, and I'm pretty sure they're what got me into AMEX land. I've also closed a Chase card with a $1200 limit (horrible APR and worse customer service), and a credit union card with a $500 limit (I had many more compelling cards, and a $500 limit is basically useless. They also only reported to Equifax.). They were my oldest TL, but only reported to Equifax.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 24 of 27
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

Yes...

$300 cap1
$500 cap1
$1500 cap1

It was hard, but I had to.
Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 25 of 27
changingmantra2
Regular Contributor

Yeah - Here I was hell-bent on closing my Simplicity in a few months and they gave me a $10,000 CLI last week.  I called about my TYP card - and at the end of the conversation the rep asked if I wanted to try for a CLI on the Simplicity - he said it would be SP -  and that I could request any amount.  I jokingly said - sure go for a total of $15,000 - thinking that 1. it was not going to go through 2. it is a SP - so I did not care anyway.  Well - he put another rep. on the phone who approved it and then told me it was a HP.  I have no use for this card - but %^%%%& now I feel like it will probably be foolish to close it.  I dunno  The TYP is the one I actually use -  It is at $5,000 while the Simplicity is at $15,000, but I am not taking anymore HPs even to increast the CL on the TYP. 

“We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.”
― Maya Angelou
Message 26 of 27
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

I did it...Click here...Smiley Indifferent

Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.