cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have Zync but denied for AmEx Green-Not Mad Tho!

tag
jasimae
Frequent Contributor

Have Zync but denied for AmEx Green-Not Mad Tho!

I decided to app for the AmEx Green card since I've pushed back my mortgage app date by a few months.  I was hoping it was a soft and it was.  I just wanted to touch upon a few things that might help others.  When I tried apping online, as an existing member, my application would not process.  Upon clicking submit, I would get a message stating that "the offer I was responding to was unavailable" despite the fact that I was not responding to any offer.  I think that message was due to a browser error or possibly that portion of the AmEx site was just experiencing issues. 

So I decided to app by phone.  I usually try be as self-sufficient as possible and avoid talking to CS reps (especially given the fact that most are based overseas and I just don't want to deal with the language barrier or give way to confusion--again, this is why I love Discover...no Peggy) but since I really wanted to app I broke down and decided to speak to another human. After getting the regular AmEx CS rep, I explained that I wanted to app and made sure to state, repeatedly, that I was an existing card member.  I was transferred to the application reps and again, reiterated that I was an existing member. 

I think this might be where the hard/soft pull issues come in.  If you proceed to complete the app without specifying that you are an existing member it will be an automatic hard pull as if you're applying for the first time.  If you specify that you are an existing member then it will be a soft.  Once the rep clearly understood that I wanted to apply as an existing member, they asked for my card number and then extracted most of the app info from my card profile and then proceeded with the financial questions.  I was denied, but eagerly looked forward to the reasons. 

When I checked the denial letter online a few minutes later it stated that they used a credit report from January 18.  This again confirmed to me that it was definitely a soft pull.  They stated that my utilization was too high (unfortunately I hadn't paid down my balances until early February) and that I had a negative (the repo wasn't reporting as being paid off--I hadn't paid that off until early February) and not enough experience with my current cards (I received most of my cards in October and November 2011). 

All in all, for me, this was the most anticipated denial because now I know the things to have in check with AmEx in order to get, hopefully, approved for the Green card.  Despite the fact that all of my accounts are now reporting zero balances, I am not considering a recon because I really don't want a hard pull.  I would have rather had the soft then hard the first time around.  (And the repo payoff still hasn't posted.)  Hope this sheds some light on hard/soft with AmEx as far as apping is concerned.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
hateAshbury
Regular Contributor

Re: Have Zync but denied for AmEx Green-Not Mad Tho!

very helpful info, thanks

Starting Score: 653 (11/1/2011 TransUnion)
Current Score: 719 (5/3/2012 TransUnion) 572 (3/21/2012 Equifax) 762 (4/14/12 VantageScore)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 6
Skinnyminnie
Regular Contributor

Yes, thank you for taking the time to give us all that info.  I'm sure it won't be long before you get your Green.

Message 3 of 6
Jake0215
Frequent Contributor

@jasimae wrote:

I decided to app for the AmEx Green card since I've pushed back my mortgage app date by a few months.  I was hoping it was a soft and it was.  I just wanted to touch upon a few things that might help others.  When I tried apping online, as an existing member, my application would not process.  Upon clicking submit, I would get a message stating that "the offer I was responding to was unavailable" despite the fact that I was not responding to any offer.  I think that message was due to a browser error or possibly that portion of the AmEx site was just experiencing issues. 

So I decided to app by phone.  I usually try be as self-sufficient as possible and avoid talking to CS reps (especially given the fact that most are based overseas and I just don't want to deal with the language barrier or give way to confusion--again, this is why I love Discover...no Peggy) but since I really wanted to app I broke down and decided to speak to another human. After getting the regular AmEx CS rep, I explained that I wanted to app and made sure to state, repeatedly, that I was an existing card member.  I was transferred to the application reps and again, reiterated that I was an existing member. 

I think this might be where the hard/soft pull issues come in.  If you proceed to complete the app without specifying that you are an existing member it will be an automatic hard pull as if you're applying for the first time.  If you specify that you are an existing member then it will be a soft.  Once the rep clearly understood that I wanted to apply as an existing member, they asked for my card number and then extracted most of the app info from my card profile and then proceeded with the financial questions.  I was denied, but eagerly looked forward to the reasons. 

When I checked the denial letter online a few minutes later it stated that they used a credit report from January 18.  This again confirmed to me that it was definitely a soft pull.  They stated that my utilization was too high (unfortunately I hadn't paid down my balances until early February) and that I had a negative (the repo wasn't reporting as being paid off--I hadn't paid that off until early February) and not enough experience with my current cards (I received most of my cards in October and November 2011). 

All in all, for me, this was the most anticipated denial because now I know the things to have in check with AmEx in order to get, hopefully, approved for the Green card.  Despite the fact that all of my accounts are now reporting zero balances, I am not considering a recon because I really don't want a hard pull.  I would have rather had the soft then hard the first time around.  (And the repo payoff still hasn't posted.)  Hope this sheds some light on hard/soft with AmEx as far as apping is concerned.

I too got my zync in november and would like the gold, apped and was denied for not being a customer long enough. does anyone know how long before this isnt an issue anymore? 6 months? a year?

Starting Score: 617 EQ 10-17-11
Current Score: EQ 767 TU 769 EX 749 (all FICO but who really knows?)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 6
Skinnyminnie
Regular Contributor

I too got my zync in november and would like the gold, apped and was denied for not being a customer long enough. does anyone know how long before this isnt an issue anymore? 6 months? a year?

Jake, for me it was exactly 95 days from the time of the Zync approval to getting the PR Gold.  

Sorry for taking your thread OT, Jasimae. 

Message 5 of 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Sorry that you were declined, but hey at least it was a soft pull ~ and they should also provide your EX FICO score as well !   I look at it as a consolation prize.  Cat Tongue

I'm sure that in a few more months of good history with AMEX that you'll get approved....

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.