cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have a few credit cards but haven't used them for a few years.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have a few credit cards but haven't used them for a few years.

I have a few credit cards that I haven't used for 4 or 5 years and they kept sending a replacement to repalce the expired ones. I never call to activate these cards. If I don't activate and use them will they hurt my credit score?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Have a few credit cards but haven't used them for a few years.

If you dont activate it ... it won't work..
Message 2 of 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

QTM wrote:

I have a few credit cards that I haven't used for 4 or 5 years and they kept sending a replacement to repalce the expired ones. I never call to activate these cards. If I don't activate and use them will they hurt my credit score?

Thanks!

Hi, welcome to the forums!

Have you looked at your credit reports? Do these accounts show as open on your reports, or closed?

If you ignore the cards, there will be no effect on your scores. If the accounts are still open (this can happen with store cards sometimes), activating a card shouldn't hurt. If the accounts are closed, activating a card might hurt if the account now starts reporting with today's date, instead of the original date.

If you get interested in activating one, I'd call first and find out your exact status, and if it would keep the original date.

If you haven't already, please read Understanding Your FICO ® Score and Credit Scoring 101 (at least the first post.)

These will give you the background knowledge you need to understand what you read here on the forums.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is history of my Credit Score:

TransUnion:

930 as of 05/02/2007

815 as of 10/30/2008

912 as of 02/09/2009:

Equifax:

768 as of 10/30/2008

All my credit card accounts are still opened and they are not activated. The reason I don't activate them because I don't plan to use them and also for security. I just need one card for everyday use which is United Mileage Plus Visa that I am using right now. Do they have the right to cancel my account if these cards haven't activated for a long time? 

Thanks for the info!

Message 4 of 11
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

TransUnion:

930 as of 05/02/2007

815 as of 10/30/2008

912 as of 02/09/2009:

Equifax:

768 as of 10/30/2008

All my credit card accounts are still opened and they are not activated. The reason I don't activate them because I don't plan to use them and also for security. I just need one card for everyday use which is United Mileage Plus Visa that I am using right now. Do they have the right to cancel my account if these cards haven't activated for a long time? 

Thanks for the info!

Welcome to the forums. 
Credit card companies have every right to close your credit cards whenever they wish and they are doing so in record numbers. Accounts that are not used for at least a small purchase every few months are likely ot be closed.
THere has also been lots of discussion on here about calling to "activate" your cards. It is my understanding from these discussions (sorry I do not have a link to them) that cards are basically activated when you get them. The ccc have you call for a variety of reasons, but you card will likely work without calling. It is certainly not more secure to not activate. 
 I would suggest reading "credit scoring 101" which may be found in my siggy. THe scores you have listed are not FICO scores (which only go up to 850). The scores you have posted are basically useless-as lenders do not use them.
Good luck and keep reading there is lots of great information on here! 

TU 810: EQ 813: EX 814 (9/16/09--Loan officer pull)

Helpful Threads
Frequently Requested Threads
Understanding your Fico Score
Message 5 of 11
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

QTM wrote:

TransUnion:

930 as of 05/02/2007

815 as of 10/30/2008

912 as of 02/09/2009:

Equifax:

768 as of 10/30/2008

As already stated these are not true FICO scores. You can buy the Equifax (EQ)  and Transunion (TU) scores here at myfico. I would do an internet search first for "myfico discount codes" to save a little money. You can also buy them at www.equifax.com and www.transunioncs.com. No individual has been able to buy an Experian (EX) score since mid-February. That way you would have a true picture of your situation. 

Time can heal all wounds and a low FICO.
"Hello my name is Sandy and I'm a recovering crediholic".

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, thanks!

I just purchased my FICO Score from myFICO and here it is:

TransUnion:

807 as of 07/29/2009

And I ordered one from Equifax.com today as well:

787 as of 07/29/2009

Message 7 of 11
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Okay, thanks!

TransUnion:

807 as of 07/29/2009

787 as of 07/29/2009

Beautiful scores!
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!
Message 9 of 11
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@plasticman wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Okay, thanks!

TransUnion:

807 as of 07/29/2009

787 as of 07/29/2009

Beautiful scores!

And your question is what again??????  LOL I wouldn't worry about a thing if I were you. It looks like you are doing just fine.

7/09
TU-742
EQ-779

Time can heal all wounds and a low FICO.
"Hello my name is Sandy and I'm a recovering crediholic".

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.